Parenting & Family

Exercise Program (Or Gym) For Overweight Kid (age 8)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 3:57 pm
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto

Exercise Program (Or Gym) For Overweight Kid (age 8)

Hi, I have a nephew who is 8 years old and a tad bit overweight. Is there such a thing where he can run and sweat, maybe have threadmills available? Say a gym with exercise machines but kid-friendly? Its winter so we are having this problem, in summer we can just have him running around in a field.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1152 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
How about swim lessons, sports leagues?
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
He is already in 2 soccer teams, and this is exactly why I want him to lose weight, he is slow because he is heavy-set, and has no lungs to run all game. His 2 times a week soccer practice is not enough to make him lose weight, they are mostly geared a tactical stuff like passing and controlling the ball, swim lesson I don't see it helping him lose weight, not enough sweating or movement.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
Perhaps you could suggest the family look into their overall diet and start incorporating healthier meals and more veggies/fruits. Diet is much more effective in weight loss and I can't help but think that the messaging isn't the most positive if hes thinking hes overweight.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hip Hop dance class
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4522 posts
3685 upvotes
Ottawa
If it was your kid I would have lots of advice. It is your nephew and basically you are going to be able to help very little.
Honestly, and of course there are exceptions, there is no excuse for an overweight 8 year old. You give the kid healthy food and make them eat it. Not that hard. Don't like what's for lunch it's dinner don't like that it's breakfast. Started to get a little lazy with my youngest and he started to want to only eat snacks (healthy ones but still a bad habit) Took about a weak of insisting he eat meals before snacks for him to understand I was serious. Older kids can start to get junkfood from friends and the like so very important to start now. by 10-11 it can be tough to control their intake.

Better than a gym I would make sure the 8 year old walks at least 500m of the journey to school. This is almost always possible though parents give their kids door to door service now because of fear. This should be easy to do at least on the way there.

All that said shaming the kid at this point is probably counter-productive.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
MusicBox wrote: swim lesson I don't see it helping him lose weight, not enough sweating or movement.
Sweating has nothing to do with weight loss, except the immediate effects of water weight loss, until they re-hydrate. Swimming has lots of movement and can be very effective as the movement involved has a lot more resistance than running, hence increased heart rate, increased calorie burn. Swimming is also better for your joints, due to lack of impact on those joints.

Bottom line a good variety of different cardio exercises is most effective for all around development, heart health, joint strength and weight loss, combined with healthy eating.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
Swimming is excellent exercise, and as was mentioned above, you don't need to sweat to burn calories. I'll also echo the sentiment about diet. I know that it can be difficult to deal with picky eaters and life gets so busy to cook or meal prep, but establishing healthy eating habits early is so important. Lunchables, bear paws, pizza and mcodnlads should be occasional treats... Not daily lunches.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
Thanks all the suggestions here, my son's weight is still in normal range but at 90% of curve,so a bit worried. Beside he starts to have big belly lol
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4522 posts
3685 upvotes
Ottawa
OntEdTchr wrote: Swimming is excellent exercise, and as was mentioned above, you don't need to sweat to burn calories. I'll also echo the sentiment about diet. I know that it can be difficult to deal with picky eaters and life gets so busy to cook or meal prep, but establishing healthy eating habits early is so important. Lunchables, bear paws, pizza and mcodnlads should be occasional treats... Not daily lunches.
Other than pizza I'd avoid that garbage even as an occasional treat. Also the idea of junk as treats sets up bad habits imho.
Even when busy there are better choices. Baby carrots and baby tomatoes and those mini cucumbers. Quick wash maybe slice in half depending on age and ready. While they are eating that you can make whole grain pasta, brown rice with a piece of meat. Actually even frozen pizza for dinner especially sans processed meat with the above as a salad is probably better than snacks or fried food.
Jan 18, 2012
221 posts
140 upvotes
It sounds like the kid is pretty active already.... At this point I would start in the kitchen then like some people already suggested.
May 9, 2019
464 posts
1019 upvotes
GTA
It starts with his diet. If you eat more calories than your body needs, you gain weight. If you eat less calories than your body needs, you lose weight. It is that simple. Obviously the type of foods matter too. (Healthy vs junk).
Some say they're sick of my crap.
Oct 17, 2013
186 posts
137 upvotes
Ontario
If this boy is active and eats healthy food, stop worrying about him being a "tad bit overweight". Many kids, and especially boys, go through stages where they get a bit chubby before they have a huge growth spurt. The last thing you want to do is make this boy feel ashamed and increase the possibility of him having body image issues when he's older. Encourage him to try new activities, stay active and cook healthy foods together. You want kids to grow up to be healthy not just physically, but mentally also.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
MusicBox wrote: Hi, I have a nephew who is 8 years old and a tad bit overweight. Is there such a thing where he can run and sweat, maybe have threadmills available? Say a gym with exercise machines but kid-friendly? Its winter so we are having this problem, in summer we can just have him running around in a field.
What have his parents tried or are their thoughts? What able the doctor?
Weight is impacted more so by diet than exercise. Exercise impacts over all health.

Are you looking for things to have your nephew faster in soccer, lower in weight, or healthy? They are related but still different goals.

Also, are you asking because the parents want help or you are offering unsolicited advice?
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
As a gymbro, weight loss is simply = calories in - calories out

Either drop calories in (cleaning up diet) or increase calories out by exercise.

Do you have an idea of how many calories he's taking in?
Jul 18, 2012
105 posts
50 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Swimming is great. My son does muay thai, which is a great workout. He plays soccer and basketball, but he always breaks a sweat at his muay thai classes.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
At that age it's less about exercise and more about the diet and parental control. I have 4 kids, my youngest are 8 and 10. If we eat pizza for dinner one night my son would wolf down 6 slices of pizza without a 2nd thought which we don't let him do. If it's chicken and veggies he always eats as little as possible, about 1/3 of what he would eat if it was pizza.

The parents need to be more involved on what he is eating as it's the parents responsibility at that age. Diet is the main issue here, not lack of exercise. Focus on that if you can.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You know what makes for healthier kids? Healthier parents. Parents who do activities with their kids, rather than "sending them out to a field to run around". Parents who keep the kitchen stocked with healthier food choices and serve healthy meals, rather than crap. Parents who eat meals with their kids and can monitor what and how much they're eating.

I'll get off my high horse now...

C
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4522 posts
3685 upvotes
Ottawa
CNeufeld wrote: You know what makes for healthier kids? Healthier parents. Parents who do activities with their kids, rather than "sending them out to a field to run around". Parents who keep the kitchen stocked with healthier food choices and serve healthy meals, rather than crap. Parents who eat meals with their kids and can monitor what and how much they're eating.

I'll get off my high horse now...

C
Agree except for the sending them to run around. I think too much parental involvement is not good. Kids who are out playing from 3-9 every night except for a dinner break never seem to be overweight.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
fogetmylogin wrote: Agree except for the sending them to run around. I think too much parental involvement is not good. Kids who are out playing from 3-9 every night except for a dinner break never seem to be overweight.
Not necessarily.
There's a kid in our playgroup that goes non-stop (after school program during the week and weekends) and a very picky eater.
Parents always picking up fast food in between and the kid is slightly on the chubbier side.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)