[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1334 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto

Exhaust leak - best repair option?

Hi, back with yet another problem!

2002 CRV with a couple leaks at the flange connecting the cat converter to exhaust pipe. The connection is badly rusted as one unit so there's no way to undo the bolts. I notice the cat is pitted too and could be leaking a little as well. I realize the only proper fix is likely to replace the cat, but before doing so I am wondering about the following:

1) Can the exhaust pipe be saved? It looks to be in fair shape. When cutting the flange, would the mating surface of the pipe be damaged beyond repair?
2) Would an aftermarket cat between $300-400 suffice?
3) Is there any hope in using muffler or furnace cement to patch the crack while I figure this out?
4) Would a welder be able to patch up the flange as a permanent fix? (as long as the cat keeps working)

Thanks!
Images
  • 20181230_160206.jpg
  • 20181230_160353.jpg
  • 20181230_190626.jpg
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3983 posts
1629 upvotes
Toronto
You need new exhaust, catback minimum. Can't salvage that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1334 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 12:30 am
You need new exhaust, catback minimum. Can't salvage that.
So we're looking at ~$500 just in parts then?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1626 posts
974 upvotes
If you go to a good custom exhaust shop, they can usually cut off the rust and reweld new pipe/flange pieces. I've had several cars over the years, will smaller exhaust issues, and have only once needed to actually replace the cat as it was actually damaged. If you go to a regular garage they aren't as specialized in exhaust work and make you replace the whole thing.

Edit, it's also usually pretty reasonable. My guy does it for a few hundred usually and in and out in less than an hour.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13725 posts
3147 upvotes
London
If you are in gta west, try hot rod Scott’s on Kipling. They do regular exhaust work too.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8357 posts
5702 upvotes
Markham
1. Go to Rockauto.com
2. Buy this: WALKER KIT6961751 @ HERE
3. Pay your most trusted mechanic to put that in, 2-3 hours of work @ $80 an hour

Total Cost: $325 + Shipping (maybe $50) + TAX + $240 labour

This will be the cheapest way to do it.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49329 posts
14590 upvotes
After April 1st, exhaust systems will not matter, right?
====

If my front exhaust pipe cover is a little worn, what can I put over it to give it a new lease on life? I am sure duct tape will burn to a crisp.

Edit:

https://www.wikihow.com/Patch-an-Exhaust-Pipe

Assess the extent and type of damage. Depending on the type of damage you identify on your exhaust piping, your repair options may vary. If the exhaust piping is covered in extensive rust, that entire component of the exhaust may need to be replaced by a professional. Small scrapes or holes can be addressed without cutting out portions of the exhaust.[6]
  • Small holes may be repaired using exhaust tape or repair putty.
  • Larger holes will need a piece of aluminum in conjunction with an epoxy to seal.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 31st, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9062 posts
1441 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Hot Rod Scotts they can likely repair it for you and if not they will be honest and tell you the truth.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Feb 4, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
Actually had the same flange issue on our 2004 CRV repaired last week. Only difference was on mine it looked like no crack on the cat converter pipe. For me, the local muffler shop cut off the flange and welded a piece of pipe onto cat converter (was rusted like yours and cleaned up prior to welding) to the exhaust pipe. It ended up taking 20 min and cost $89 taxes in.

The mechanic did say I would have to replace the cat converter at some point as holes developing where the weld were on it for heat shield...but that would be whenever they got big and loud enough. At that time he suggested to not to go cheap aftermarket cat converter as it will play havoc with O2 sensor and error codes and check engine light on dash. Estimated that a cat converter would cost approx $400.

May want to check with shop mentioned in a few of the previous posts to see if they can do a similar repair to what our local shop did.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8357 posts
5702 upvotes
Markham
If you patch that, it'll just fail again within a year. You can keep patching it up for $100 until you absolutely have to replace it. I would only do that if you intend on scrapping this baby in the next 1-2 years.

If you have any reservations on keeping this car for 3+ years, you need to replace the whole thing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27378 posts
13333 upvotes
Ottawa
JB weld that shit.
No more etest, no more worries about failing due to an exhaust system leak.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3983 posts
1629 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 11:44 am
JB weld that shit.
You can't jb weld if the pipe, muffler, resonator has zillions of tiny cracks and holes from rust. You can wrap it, but that will cost more then buying new catback.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10544 posts
9723 upvotes
Oakville
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 11:44 am
JB weld that shit.
Sadly it won't last. Regardless of emissions, the leak likely sounds like crap and probably stinks up the cabin because it's not going out the back.