None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2722 posts
2050 upvotes
Markham

Exobitant auto-insurance for new immigrant

I am a new immigrant who have just booked a brand new car which will be ready for delivery this Friday, July 30.

I am now shopping around for auto-insurance. As a mature driver (50+) with 32 years of driving experience and enjoying maximum No Claim Bonus in my country of origin, I am surprised to find insurance quotes in the range $6000 to $8000 per year for my new ride, a Mazda5.

Any suggestion for me to get a cheaper quote? Any good insurance brokers who is specialized in auto insurance for new immigrants? Time is not on my side, as I need to get the insurance before Friday.

Thanks for your suggestions!
47 replies
Apr 11, 2003
600 posts
62 upvotes
Edmonton
I know nothing about immigrants and insurance to offer - but wouldn't it have been wise to price out insurance BEFORE signing a contract to buy a car? How could you have factored all the costs, if you didn't know one of the largest until after you signed away?

Have you tried Kanetix? Or Melonche Monnex? Both offer online quotes.....
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
251 posts
drdtyc wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 6:16 pm
I am a new immigrant who have just booked a brand new car which will be ready for delivery this Friday, July 30.

I am now shopping around for auto-insurance. As a mature driver (50+) with 32 years of driving experience and enjoying maximum No Claim Bonus in my country of origin, I am surprised to find insurance quotes in the range $6000 to $8000 per year for my new ride, a Mazda5.

Any suggestion for me to get a cheaper quote? Any good insurance brokers who is specialized in auto insurance for new immigrants? Time is not on my side, as I need to get the insurance before Friday.

It has little to do with being new to the country, so you can end the pity party. It has more to do with the fact you have ZERO years experience driving in Canada. I wouldn't trust you on the road anymore than I trust a 16 year old. Neither do the insurance companies.
Banned
Jun 4, 2009
387 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
vanskelig wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 8:04 pm
It has little to do with being new to the country, so you can end the pity party. It has more to do with the fact you have ZERO years experience driving in Canada. I wouldn't trust you on the road anymore than I trust a 16 year old. Neither do the insurance companies.
Very nice welcoming someone buying the already overpriced Canadian car and telling them crap. He already said his driving record is spotless, so really.... why the ripoff rates?

So next time you go to shopping in Buffallo I hope they tax you 150% because you have no experience shopping in the States. I mean, it's for your own good. Wal-Mart is a dangerous place with all those American fatties.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2009
1070 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Canadian cars, expensive? Compared to the US, yeah, but compared to the UK, and other cities around the world? Probably not.

And yes, I agree with the post above about trusting someone new to the coutnry with driving rules. Just look at the flashing green intersections in BC.
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
251 posts
buddahas wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 8:32 pm
Very nice welcoming someone buying the already overpriced Canadian car and telling them crap. He already said his driving record is spotless, so really.... why the ripoff rates?

So next time you go to shopping in Buffallo I hope they tax you 150% because you have no experience shopping in the States. I mean, it's for your own good. Wal-Mart is a dangerous place with all those American fatties.
thats like comparing and apple to an elephant. I am not a fan of insurance, or the rates, or the provincial backing for the legalized extortion, but I do understand why he is higher than everyone else his age.

Laws are different everywhere, he might understand how to operate a motor vehicle but that does not mean he can drive in Canada. He has to learn our rules of the road just like that 16 year old, and that only comes with time an experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7590 posts
621 upvotes
Check and see if taking a driver's education program could help get your costs down (even though you are 50).
Banned
Jun 4, 2009
387 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Ever been to Montreal?

People there drive worse than any immigrant in Canada. I think insurance rates should be $8000 a year minimum.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
783 upvotes
vanskelig wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 8:52 pm
thats like comparing and apple to an elephant. I am not a fan of insurance, or the rates, or the provincial backing for the legalized extortion, but I do understand why he is higher than everyone else his age.

Laws are different everywhere, he might understand how to operate a motor vehicle but that does not mean he can drive in Canada. He has to learn our rules of the road just like that 16 year old, and that only comes with time an experience.
Rates could be a little higher. What exists now is pure price gouging on new immigrant drivers.

If you have a long driving record in another place and get a document stating that and get it notarized it should count for something.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
61 upvotes
Burlington
Beeg wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 9:21 pm
Rates could be a little higher. What exists now is pure price gouging on new immigrant drivers.

If you have a long driving record in another place and get a document stating that and get it notarized it should count for something.
This strikes me as being similar to the issue with immigrants not having their degrees (doctor, engineer, etc.) recognized in Canada.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2009
1070 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Add to that,

Richmond BC
Surrey BC
Langley BC
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1019 posts
68 upvotes
Nowheresville
drdtyc wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 6:16 pm

Thank you for immigrating to Canada so that you can buy a car and contribute to the pollution of our air.

Buying a car without doing your research on insurance shows that Canada will let anyone in this country these days. And a Mazda5? That's not really much to brag about.
Nov 12, 2009
154 posts
3 upvotes
way to go guys on a new immigrant. I am honestly surprised at some of these replies. Nobody so far answered the OP's question but ready to ramble about personal experiences and what not.

I take that he made a mistake buying a car without insurance in hand first, but what about the dealer or who ever sold the car? Honestly, would not you make any mistake if you are a new immigrant in a new country??

Polluting the air, give him a break. What about the business he is generating.

What ever....