• May 9th, 2020 4:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Getting on with the exotic fruit vibe..... who can tell me where in the Mississauga area I can get my hands on Mamey... cause I had it last week down south and its the best fruit I have tasted to date.
never heard of mamey before. googling it, it looks like chikoo/ sapodilla. some asian grocers sell it. best ones i've found are usually from indian grocers...if they're properly ripened.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
I think this summer was the first time buying mangosteen (Foody Mart) that the stem is still green and fresh. Bought 2 packs and they were so fresh, maybe except 1 of them. I'll never find mangosteen with green stems where we live.

The ones here are always frozen and the stems are brown/dry and the flesh is not fresh.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Nope its nothing like that. Read how these taste and look and its nothing like that chikoo fruit. Also it only grows only in south america (cuba, mexico etc).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Nope its nothing like that. Read how these taste and look and its nothing like that chikoo fruit. Also it only grows only in south america (cuba, mexico etc).
The pic does look like the flesh is moist and soft like a sapodilla.

I do remember when eating it back home in the Caribbean the flesh was firmer.

so maybe it was the Mamey apple I was eating.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mameysap ... amey+apple

Maybe we did not leave it to ripen properly.

I know we would put bit of salt on after peeling away the tough brown skin, and then wash the salt off.

My Mom said this was to prevent getting yellow stained teeth like she used to get as a kid from eating too many.

Never seen these in the Asian stores I've been to in the GTA though.

I see sapodillas often though.
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if this is the right thread...but does anyone know where to get calamansi that's not frozen?

What about limes from South America? I can only seem to find them from Mexico. Peruvian or Colombians ones would be amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
any one here try buying and eating fresh jackfruit? It's a huge thing and I wonder what it tastes like
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
I am going to bring this back up........ still cannot find Mamey anywhere.