• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 8:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
dreaderus wrote: Sorry it is a bolt so if I wanted to return it I would be waiting 6 months for another one. going to at least try to figure it out car is gorgeous otherwise
spike1128 wrote: Found chip on delivery, dealer should give discount or repainted. After you get it, it's your responsibility.

Don't expect perfect paint from imports. They are known to have cheap, thin, and soft paint
Chevrolet Bolt is an import?
Sep 19, 2009
686 posts
613 upvotes
Ottawa
It's unfortunate that this happened to your brand new car. For sure, try to push for some sort of discount...I'd say $1000 back and the paint touched up by an expert. But at the end of the day, you really are at the mercy of the dealer. It's a Bolt and they are in high demand. You walk away from this deal and the dealer will have no problem selling the car to someone else . And meanwhile, you'll be waiting months for a new Bolt. I do hear the new Smart ED's are pretty nice though. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm certain they would take the vehicle back and just touch it up and sell it to someone else who wouldn't see it. I don't really want to return it just want them to help me get it into new condition.

As a note: the car was delivered to me, and we noticed several of the dings with the salesperson who dropped it off there who initially offered up a paint stick. I have yet to drive it but am supposed to drive it back to the dealer tomorrow where the GM and the Sales manager want to take a look
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Car leased ? If yes, then maybe you can overlook the issues as you will return the car at the end anyway
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
Update: was advised it was corrected (left it there yesterday) so came to look at it today, still found 2 remaining dings i could find within seconds not very touched up lol.

Sort of at an impasse now, will speak to sales manager again tomorrow. He was warning me that a "repaint" might not look as good as the original so not sure where that leaves us or if its just some tactic not to do it.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
dreaderus wrote: Update: was advised it was corrected (left it there yesterday) so came to look at it today, still found 2 remaining dings i could find within seconds not very touched up lol.

Sort of at an impasse now, will speak to sales manager again tomorrow. He was warning me that a "repaint" might not look as good as the original so not sure where that leaves us or if its just some tactic not to do it.
Absolutely do not let them paint or even buff the car. A repaint will remove all factory zinc and e-coat baths. Your car's paint is original just once. You are asking for potential major trouble if you do. There was a thread last year of a guy who bought a brand new Camaro and pushed the dealer into correcting factory paint that had dust particles. Well, dealer left swirls all over the car that then required a complete paint job on a car with 2000km. Do not be like that idiot. Can't find the thread, I'm sure it's been deleted to hide the trail since it will end up being sold to some poor unsuspecting buyer. Maybe someone here can track down that thread, after you read that you will know what not to do.

I had the same issue as you when I picked up my new car years back and it had 4 rock chips on the hood. Was offered a respray of the hood which I refused. They gave me a paint pen and a primer stick, I went to a local art store and picked up several very fine artists brushes (which they now sell @ Dollarama in a pack) and filled them myself. I have since added about 2 dozen more on my own and none have ever rusted after 7 years.

Just clean the surface, take a very fine brush and put a tiny dab of primer if it's down to the metal. Let dry for 15 minutes, take a new brush and fill the hole gently using very little paint. Let that dry for 20 minutes and repeat until the paint is flush. Use very little paint, thin layers for each coat. Unless you plan to make this a museum piece that you will never drive, I suggest you move on with your life and enjoy your car and do not remove the original paint.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
Isnt there concerns that even these small whacks will haunt me later?
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
dreaderus wrote: Isnt there concerns that even these small whacks will haunt me later?
If filled and touched up properly, no. Difficult to see if it's down to the metal, I doubt it though. They are probably just down to the base coat. Waiting around listening to RFD telling you to demand a new car and the director's first born isn't helping you. Just touch them up. Read many years ago that more than 30% of new cars are damaged in transport in some way and are repaired at port or railway facilities on the spot without even the dealer knowing. Just get it done and start enjoying your new car. This is nothing compared to the damage we do taking our cars for a daily salt bath in the winter.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
dreaderus wrote: Isnt there concerns that even these small whacks will haunt me later?
OP. Most people suffer a little buyer's remorse when they make a new purchase. Personally, I've seen otherwise very sane and logical people freak out over the most trivial things. The sales team at the dealership have seen this happen as well and know that it will blow over in a few days or weeks. I think they behaved very poorly by delivering a car with these dings and it should tell you something about that dealership specifically and GM in general.

However, you know that within weeks or months, your new car will get more dings and dents and scratches from normal wear and tear. If I were in your position, I would look for, in writing, cash compensation from the dealer. If that fails, contact GM Head Office. I would then either take ottofly's advice above or go to a trusted detailer and get then to touch up your dings. But, as others have said, don't let these dings spoil the pleasure of your new car!
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
I'd get back to the dealer and ask for a better solution.
Would you accept your doctor treat your stab wound with a band aid?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2740 posts
318 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: OP. Most people suffer a little buyer's remorse when they make a new purchase. Personally, I've seen otherwise very sane and logical people freak out over the most trivial things. The sales team at the dealership have seen this happen as well and know that it will blow over in a few days or weeks. I think they behaved very poorly by delivering a car with these dings and it should tell you something about that dealership specifically and GM in general.

However, you know that within weeks or months, your new car will get more dings and dents and scratches from normal wear and tear. If I were in your position, I would look for, in writing, cash compensation from the dealer. If that fails, contact GM Head Office. I would then either take ottofly's advice above or go to a trusted detailer and get then to touch up your dings. But, as others have said, don't let these dings spoil the pleasure of your new car!
It probably won't even bother you 2 months down the line but it definitely feels bad since you bought a new car and you deserve a new car. You should get some compensation rather than them continuously trying to touch up your car. I would tell them not to even touch it because they just don't know what they're doing.
BlackJays wrote: shame has been acheived

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)