• May 25th, 2006 2:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5171 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
nano wrote:Thanks for the input.... but i dont think they will be calling me back :|
good luck in your search. I know it's disheartening. But i'm sure it'll suddenly pop for you.

At my current job the manager didn't even want to interview me, I called him up all indignant that he was underestimating my experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
Agreed, that you should give a range, and know what the position title is first in order to check the national average (which can be found on Monster or Workopolis).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5171 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
xwar wrote:Agreed, that you should give a range, and know what the position title is first in order to check the national average (which can be found on Monster or Workopolis).
If you're so intent on making your life hard (by even answering the question, i don't know how you possibly think that's a good idea)

why even bother with a "range"? You've automatically admitted that you will work for the low figure, and that anything higher is wishful thinking.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
If your are asked about your expected salary, you should if you have an expectation. From my expereince, it'd be a waste of time to go through the interview and finally find out that there is a big gap bt the expected salary.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
If you are asked for your expected salary, its always good to respond with what the 'normal' salary for that position and level....Shows you have done some research....There are plenty of sites that give the average salaries of different industries. and you also get them by talking with people within the industry.

Plus, when a headhunter or recruiter calls me, or I am applying for a position, I always try to find out what the salary will be...I don't want to waste my time and the company's time if the salary is not within what I am comfortable accepting.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
3393 posts
Saskatoon, SK
Put negotiable. It shows flexibility, and respect. It portrays that you are willing to take what is offered (even if you're not, it's nice to make them think that). Don't put in a salary value. You and "other guy" could send in equally impressive applications, and have equally impressive interviews, but if "other guy" lists a lower salary/saslary range than you, "other guy" will get the job. Don't ever put a figure, or even a range. Don't even put an indication like "market range". Simply put "Negotiable".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
I was asked this question and it caught me by surprise. I gave them a range with the high end of the range being what I wanted, and they chose to pay me exactly the middle of the range I provided :( . Months later, I got a raise to the high end of my range. Next time I will be smarter.
Aug 5, 2005
15 posts
Recently I had a phone interview with an agency and they asked for my salary expectations and i gave them a range (ie 35k-40k), after the interview from the actual company and getting the job, do you think i can change my asking salary rate before i sign the contract? Do you think they would even budge? (like 45k?)

I usually also dont like to ask what the pay is during at interview + benefits, but should i do it anyway?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4549 posts
2623 upvotes
I usually would give them about 5K more than I expect, so for 60K I tell them 65K.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2528 posts
26 upvotes
Chatham
:cheesygri
grant wrote:My response would be something like:

"Salary isn't going to be the deciding factor in where I choose to work. I'm looking for an energetic work environment where my skills are appreciated. Nonetheless, I expect to be paid the market rate."

If they press:

"I think it's premature to discuss salary until I have been offered a position. Right now I'm just interested in determining if your company is a match for my abilities."

Is that the best? It all depends on the situation & who you are talking to. The truth is you're simply spinning a "no comment" response, but that's the language that HR speaks so they'll probably appreciate it.

Edit: Don't back down til you have the job offer. Remember, that's when the balance of power shifts from them to you.
Very well said! Anymore phrases like this that we could use for any upcoming negotations!

Also, I'm wondering as well as to how you can negotiate a coop, don't they usualy sign you as a fixed salary worker.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5171 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
ohjiro wrote:Recently I had a phone interview with an agency and they asked for my salary expectations and i gave them a range (ie 35k-40k), after the interview from the actual company and getting the job, do you think i can change my asking salary rate before i sign the contract? Do you think they would even budge? (like 45k?)
Not knowing ANYTHING about who these people are, what the job is, or how good you are at it, it's impossible to know. These are questions you should have researched.

Do you even have an offer now? If you don't this is an extremely premature question.
I usually also dont like to ask what the pay is during at interview + benefits, but should i do it anyway?
Why? So you can appear mercenary & reduce your chances of being made an offer?

It may be worthwhile to ask if you're in hot demand and you don't want to waste your time interviewing at companies which aren't even going to come close to your expectations.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5171 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
sannin wrote:Very well said! Anymore phrases like this that we could use for any upcoming negotations!
I don't know much about salary negotiations but that's an interview answer not a negotiation answer :D
Also, I'm wondering as well as to how you can negotiate a coop, don't they usualy sign you as a fixed salary worker.
I've never been in a coop but i don't think it's too likely, my experience is that coops and fresh grads are thankful for the opportunity not the other way around.
Apr 23, 2003
784 posts
I'm glad a thread like this came up, because I am just starting my job hunt. time to move on :)
isn't the salary question also a good one for allowing the candidate to weed out potential employers?
I was speaking with one hr person at the beginning of a phone interview and she told me the starting salary for the position, and at that point after discussing that (no room to negotiate because it was a training group, everyone starts the same) and given the fact that I have bills etc, we decided not to proceed. I mean, I would have hated to go through the interview process only to find out this job I thought would be a great opportunity simply would not have been enough.

in another case, (before reading this thread hehe) I was asked what my salary expectations are, I just told the hr person what I am making at the moment.. off the bat she said she couldn't get me in to that range.. but I did say that there are intangibles, and that money is not my main motivation (loking to get my foot in the door, location, growth potential etc) so she knows at that point I am flexible.. we didn't go any further in terms of pay ranges, but she asked me to come in for an interview. for the company it is, I figured I'd give it a shot and if eventually it does lead toa job offer, I just have to make sure my ends are being met.

But that is kind of tricky for me, I am in an odd spot, for a relatively entry level position, I am making a decent wage with my commissions etc, but I am looking to take a step forward in to a more intermediate position (say from sales in to account management) and for the types of postions I am looking for, two companies will seem to have a wide range of salary offered, for similar jobs/experience requirements etc.. I just want to make sure that neither my or the companies time is being wasted.
I'm willing to take less than what I'm making now to get my foot in the door but not substantially (still have the mortgage, and well, I eat a lot)
Jun 20, 2004
434 posts
1 upvote
i just landed a great job and the most embarrasing question was, what do you currently make (at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink])...

I was brutally honest, said "$13/hour which equates to approx. 30k" ($29,744)

that was when i was working 44 hours, now I do only 40 due to cutbacks = $27,040.

he said "I think we can do better than that" and then offered me the contract, for 52.5K per year with bonus range of 25% to 41%.

so i've basically gone from 27k to almost double gauranteed, and can ultimately make 65k - 74k depending on how I and we do as a team.

it was a great day, but i did feel like a bit of a tool when said current salary.
Recently scientists revealed that beer contains small traces of female hormones. To prove their theory, the scientists fed 100 men 12 bottles of beer and observed that 100% of them gained weight, talked excessively without making sense, became emotional, couldn't drive, and refused to apologize when wrong.
No further testing is planned
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1543 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I'm totally pissed for screwing myself over with this Q!!

Just had an interview for a part-time position and the employer (HR) asked this expected wage Q. I'm not sure why I never prepared myself for this Q but I just didn't and totally caught me off guard. And I gave the HR an exact # (very stupid!), and almost $3 less than what I was making at my last job (stupid #2!!)!!!

I did get the job but I am totally pissed at myself for not researching about this interview Q. The HR didn't tell me the exact pay I'll be starting yet. If my pay does start with the amount I said, several people have suggested to me to ask and see what others have started off with and then negotiate my wage after.

Does anyone think that's a good route to go?
Or should I call back the HR before I start and try to negotiate with her?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1198 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
lumlum1013 wrote:I'm totally pissed for screwing myself over with this Q!!

Just had an interview for a part-time position and the employer (HR) asked this expected wage Q. I'm not sure why I never prepared myself for this Q but I just didn't and totally caught me off guard. And I gave the HR an exact # (very stupid!), and almost $3 less than what I was making at my last job (stupid #2!!)!!!

I did get the job but I am totally pissed at myself for not researching about this interview Q. The HR didn't tell me the exact pay I'll be starting yet. If my pay does start with the amount I said, several people have suggested to me to ask and see what others have started off with and then negotiate my wage after.

Does anyone think that's a good route to go?
Or should I call back the HR before I start and try to negotiate with her?
Not a good idea. You should go start your job at the rate that they are going to give you, but negotiate the increase for after the probation period. If you go and re-negotiate the new rate before you even start, they will most likely think you are not interested in the job.....
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1198 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
grant wrote:I don't know much about salary negotiations but that's an interview answer not a negotiation answer :D

I've never been in a coop but i don't think it's too likely, my experience is that coops and fresh grads are thankful for the opportunity not the other way around.

Due to the increasing demand now a days, co-op students' pay is almost or 85% of your current FT job person for that job. Keep in mind that their 4 co-op terms experiences is similar to your normal two FT years. With this in mind, most co-op grad students makes quiet a bit when they starts with their job after graduations.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1327 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Recently I applied for a job that in the beginning I stated one salary range, but in the end they offered me one that's higher (quite a bit actually).
Keep in mind that some companies have paybands they have to follow for different job roles. If they wish to put you in a certain role, they'll have to pay accordingly. The low-end or the high-end of the payband wise, that's another science in it altogether.

My advice is to do some research beforehand about the average salary for the roles you are applying to. When asked, give a range that's (average - 10%) ~ (average + 25%). If you are somebody they want, they wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have you interested. The job market is decent these days, companies know they are competing against each other.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2004
1113 posts
293 upvotes
Do you give out you current salary when agencies ask?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5171 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
retroman80s wrote:Do you give out you current salary when agencies ask?
Good question. I am going to visit an agency tomorrow in fact.

An agency must know your expected salary so they don't waste time sending you on pointless interviews, but i don't see any use in telling them your current salary.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)