Home & Garden

Expecting Home Delivery of Major Appliances - any issues with video recording/surveillance during delivery?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2018 11:45 am
[OP]
Jul 11, 2008
819 posts
263 upvotes

Expecting Home Delivery of Major Appliances - any issues with video recording/surveillance during delivery?

Bought major appliances (washing machine, dryer, range, fridge and dishwasher) from Home Depot last week. All of them are to be delivered to our new home this Friday. We have heard through various sources that delivery staff often rush through the process and as a result can cause damage to the walls, doors, floors etc. Might come across as nit picking but I'm trying to think ahead to what I can do to protect myself if there were any damages to the house as a result of the appliances being delivered. The safest option I could think of is to video record the delivery guys (either through my phone or through cameras set up in key areas around the house). Without this, I fear I would have little recourse since it would likely come down to my word against the delivery guys/merchant without any concrete evidence. My question is, are there any legal issues etc with video recording individual(s) entering your home? Any other conditions I should be aware of (like am I required to verbally inform the delivery guys that I have video surveillance set up around the house)? Any other thoughts?
23 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24253 posts
2203 upvotes
Hamilton
You’re overthinking. They sure won’t take of their shoes though
$35/5GB Koodo

Respect the hustle
Dec 20, 2006
375 posts
18 upvotes
York
Good idea, just let them know up front. Also, must thoroughly inspect the appliances before signing delivery receipts. Good luck.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22528 posts
9127 upvotes
Ottawa
You have to sign off that there were no damage to products or property after delivery.
Don't give the delivery guys a hard time while they are unloading and installing.
Jul 5, 2004
23122 posts
2742 upvotes
If you want to set up cameras ahead of time that's fine, but don't sit there recording them with your phone the whole time. They are very, very unlikely to cause any damage. Plus you have to sign a form saying there was no damage to anything.

You're being paranoid
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12547 posts
3080 upvotes
Here 'n There
I think you are being too much of a Nervous Nelly about this. Just let them deliver and don't sweat it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7573 posts
5886 upvotes
Oakville
Take pictures beforehand of the areas they will be using.
Feb 22, 2015
12 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks OP for asking this question! I am also in the same boat as apparently the appliance store I bought from is notorious for delivery issues and poor delivery services (I guess it's whoever their hire to deliver not them but doesn't matter either way). So I thought about taking a video during the delivery too!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4844 posts
1597 upvotes
Paris
If you taped me and I was delivering appliances I would deliver them to your doorstep (which is in the fine print of most contracts as the requirement). How would you like to be taped during your job for whoever your client is.... Imagine your boss standing over your shoulder with his iphone.

My parents went through this with a hot tub in the 90s. Depot delivered “curbside only”. We lived on a hobby farm and were 500+ feet off the road and needed the hot tub lifted a story onto a back deck. Since we had literally acres delivery guy used their tow motor from back of flatbed and put it on the deck for us without expectation of anything (Dad tipped him I think).

Good thing too as I was in University and it took 8 of us to move that damn tub from the outside deck to the inside enclosure which was around 8 or 9 feet.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
Insider wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:05 am
this is a bit obsessive.
Srsly.
Chill out.
Just assist them during the process and their won’t be damage. Acting like an OCD a-hole won’t help. Just saying...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1108 posts
312 upvotes
London
If you expect there to be damage done, you will be sure to find something to complain about. People are so paranoid these days. They don’t want to damage your home. If they do, stuff happens. Breathe and enjoy your new items.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2008
819 posts
263 upvotes
Expected to see comments about being paranoid so I'm not surprised. Personally, we just bought our first home after years of looking. We have spent almost all of our savings on the downpayment and other purchases (furniture, appliances etc). I agree that if I were the delivery guy, I would not want a camera/phone held up recording me but I also do not feel I should be on the hook for any potential damages caused as a result of the appliances being delivered.

Decided to set up surveillance cameras at the entrance and hallways leading to the kitchen. This eliminates the awkwardness of holding up a camera to record and more discrete. If there are no damages, its all good but if there are, I won't have to waste time (hopefully) fighting with the delivery company or home depot to cover the cost of the repairs. I was mostly concerned if there are any legal issues with video recording in your own home but based on the feedback, there doesn't seem to be any so that is a relief.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4844 posts
1597 upvotes
Paris
adilh53 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 7:20 am
I also do not feel I should be on the hook for any potential damages caused as a result of the appliances being delivered.
If you read the delivery contract, they are not responsible. So while you dont think you should be, unless its willful deliberate damage, you are on the hook. Went through that with movers once...
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3596 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
Clear out a large path for them beforehand, including moving around furniture, TVs, etc. temporarily. If they're not squished in a limited space against a wall, then that'll minimize the chance they'll put a dent into drywall. For floors, put down carpet runners in areas where they'll likely need to dolly in the appliances and set them down. Makes it easier for them to do their work and thus avoid damage as opposed to dealing with damages afterwards that you had recorded.

If space is especially tight, just remember that drywall patching is easy and cheap to do, especially if you kept some of your wall paint for touch-ups, so try not to obsess over everything being perfect.