Home & Garden

Expecting Home Delivery of Major Appliances - any issues with video recording/surveillance during delivery?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2018 8:42 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:08 am
If you read the delivery contract, they are not responsible. So while you dont think you should be, unless its willful deliberate damage, you are on the hook. Went through that with movers once...
YES. They are legally NOT responsible. Read the document you signed re delivery.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15579 posts
1198 upvotes
Thornhill
Home Depot has a good reputation - I wouldn’t sweat it. If something goes wrong, they’ll address it.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4364 posts
1399 upvotes
Paris
t3359 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:18 pm
Home Depot has a good reputation - I wouldn’t sweat it. If something goes wrong, they’ll address it.

bjl
Home Depot just changed their delivery logistics process over the last 12 months. Source: Family member who used to run it for them.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7187 posts
5432 upvotes
Oakville
Jerico wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:00 pm
Home Depot just changed their delivery logistics process over the last 12 months. Source: Family member who used to run it for them.
Yea, they're using a company called Ovation logistics and they suck.
I had a delivery of washer/dryer scheduled for last saturday between 11-3pm. At 3pm, they call to say they'll be an hour late. They never show, but call after 8pm that they can't make it and will come tomorrow at 8am. They finally show up at 9am, but drop the dryer so they take it back and say they'll return with a new one.
It's almost a week later and I have no delivery date scheduled and nobody contacted me. Ovation never answers the phone and their phone system puts you on hold, then eventually just hangs up on you without notice.
I did contact HD and they said they'd contact them and give me $150 for my trouble (which is nice). Still don't have a date though and if it goes much longer I'll be expecting more.
Jan 14, 2010
591 posts
150 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:35 am
Clear out a large path for them beforehand, including moving around furniture, TVs, etc. temporarily. If they're not squished in a limited space against a wall, then that'll minimize the chance they'll put a dent into drywall. For floors, put down carpet runners in areas where they'll likely need to dolly in the appliances and set them down. Makes it easier for them to do their work and thus avoid damage as opposed to dealing with damages afterwards that you had recorded.
+1. Put your energy into preventing the damage. Make life easier for everybody.
Feb 25, 2004
440 posts
81 upvotes
Longueuil
I haven't bought appliances from Home Depot but I bought stuff from multiple stores and I would say it really depends. Some delivering companies take extra good care (protect everything, take their time), it was really impressive (the ones used by Mobilia, Dormez-Vous...), it was really unexpected, they did what I would have done myself and I am really a pain in the a... about having my stuff in perfect condition without any damage.

But some others are really terrible (don't care about anything, they are in a rush to leave as soon as possible), you really have to check them (the ones used by Brault & Martineau, Best Buy...). The only one I can comment with multiple experiences is Brault & Martineau as they have done damage at my parents home (broke the patio door) and 2 co-workers (floors). They would also have done terrible damage (that cannot really be repaired) to my hardware floor as they were about to angle at 45° the left track holding a fridge (right track was on ceramic so no issue). I simply told them to move it 15 cm so that both tracks would be on the ceramic so there was no damage but if I didn't check there would have been. They are not bad people and they did what I asked without any problem, they simply they didn't care at all and wanted to get out as soon as possible. The Best Buy ones were the most terrible though, it's like they wanted to damage stuff (and it wasn't a big delivery, a simple TV stand not assembled). They damaged to the walls so I fixed it.

This is my personal experience, it can vary obviously. In the end I don't think it is really useful to install cameras. As it was said before, what you want is prevent damage to your house (not try to fight to get it fixed) so simply check what they are doing and assist them if they are about to damage something (mainly the floor as usually it cannot really be repaired perfectly).

Don't listen to the people that say you are parnoid, some delivering companies really don't take care at all and do damage. I understand how you can feel, I also want my stuff to be in perfect condition withotu any damage (not my choice BTW, that is how I am, I would really prefer if I wasn't bothered by minor damage, it would make my life easier...).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7187 posts
5432 upvotes
Oakville
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:20 pm
Yea, they're using a company called Ovation logistics and they suck.
I had a delivery of washer/dryer scheduled for last saturday between 11-3pm. At 3pm, they call to say they'll be an hour late. They never show, but call after 8pm that they can't make it and will come tomorrow at 8am. They finally show up at 9am, but drop the dryer so they take it back and say they'll return with a new one.
It's almost a week later and I have no delivery date scheduled and nobody contacted me. Ovation never answers the phone and their phone system puts you on hold, then eventually just hangs up on you without notice.
I did contact HD and they said they'd contact them and give me $150 for my trouble (which is nice). Still don't have a date though and if it goes much longer I'll be expecting more.
So I finally had my washer and dryer installed on Jan 26, 20 days after the original delivery date of Jan 6 and a month after the original purchase date.
The Ovation delivery guys were terrible. Made a huge mess, left debris and slush all over my laundry room, crushed the semi rigid dryer exhaust pipe I bought. Eventually I told them to leave because they were making things worse and I struggled to move the stacked units to their final location and level them.

That said, the units are great. Their nice and quite, no vibrations even with a large duvet inside.
I also got $200 from Home Depot for my trouble and was able to sell my old units for $200. I had so much interest in them I should have listed them for $400 and settled for $300.