None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton

Expedia.ca...Prices...HELP?

Trying to book a flight from Toronto to Vancouver from JULY 17 to July 24 with expedia.ca

Expedia.ca..($784.58)...via Air Canada

Air Canada's Web Site ($538.58) same flight as above..

I had the impression that expedia.ca checks the net for the lowest fares.. but $250 price difference.

Is there something I should know here....thanks in advance
12 replies
Mar 15, 2003
186 posts
Expedia's prices included all taxes ... Are you sure the price on Air Canada includes taxes? $250 taxes sound right to me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
taxes are included in the total price....$209 each way + taxes....came to $538.58 final charge
Apr 18, 2004
157 posts
72 upvotes
More then likely the price that comes up on Air Canada is a Tango fare and Air Canada has their Tango fares only available through their website, so that would explain the price diff.

Expedia.ca,Travelocity etc. do not have access to the Tango fares, some tavel agents do but then you may be looking at paying a booking fee with them. Best bet buy online at aircanada.com and earn yourself some extra Aeroplan miles with the purchase.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
yes it is a tango fare....seems like a good deal. I guess I better book before it's to late..thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
[quote="jerryhung"]Just make sure you check these too
WestJet
CanJet
Harmony Airways

thanks..I checked Westjet (they were more) I thought they would be cheaper...

Canjet...is even more than Westjet.. So much for discount airlines.....I'm starting to miss Jetsgo (lol)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1358 posts
155 upvotes
Montreal
something you should know

I booked a flight for 5 person from Montreal to LAX on June 23rd,

cost per person after all airport / gst/pst taxes were exactly 200$ cheaper from a local travel agent then directly from aircanada's website

i called to ask but the always-same-answer CSR told me he didn't know why and that local travel agents could offer prices they seem fit...

just thought u should know
Jun 9, 2005
7255 posts
283 upvotes
Scarborough
the last few times myself or my family has travelled (primarily hk, but also vancouver and LA), we have always booked from a chinese travel agency, and every single time when we talked to the people beside us, they're paying at least $100+ compare to what we paid.

example: my dad's flight to hk on american airline with 3 hr stop in chicago cost $950 CAD...he told me about the person beside him paying 1150 with an extra stop in tokyo

so i guess always check with travel agencies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22138 posts
4132 upvotes
Waterloo
wesleyw wrote:the last few times myself or my family has travelled (primarily hk, but also vancouver and LA), we have always booked from a chinese travel agency, and every single time when we talked to the people beside us, they're paying at least $100+ compare to what we paid.

example: my dad's flight to hk on american airline with 3 hr stop in chicago cost $950 CAD...he told me about the person beside him paying 1150 with an extra stop in tokyo

so i guess always check with travel agencies
Wow, that's cheap. When is the flight?

My friend would be pissed (he paid $1400 for CX from YYZ to HKG nonstop, he wanted AC option $1300 but can't for other reasons)
My flight from YYZ to Shanghai (chicago, tokyo) with stopover in NY on the way back is $1270 CAD (and cheapest I can find already)
we both left early May, returned end of May
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:My friend would be pissed (he paid $1400 for CX from YYZ to HKG nonstop, he wanted AC option $1300 but can't for other reasons)
CX charges more for this flight because it knows there are a lot of passengers out there willing to pay a premium to avoid travelling through the US.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
this is why we shoparound... a planeload of people will have paid a max difference of $400 for a $1000 ticket.

some booked early...some got a rockbottom deal... some got lastminute rate..some just paid the first price they came across which happened to be a ripoff... some agents dont reduce the price unless they have to when a customer shows them a lower price..

its all about making that BUCK ;)
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb

If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.

Hot deal?

:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!
Jun 9, 2005
7255 posts
283 upvotes
Scarborough
HighFlyer wrote:CX charges more for this flight because it knows there are a lot of passengers out there willing to pay a premium to avoid travelling through the US.
Thats so true. Alot of people are willing to pay a couple more bills just to avoid going thru the customs and everything else at the US, especially if they are only passing thru.
Wow, that's cheap. When is the flight?

He flew the last week of march, flight left pearson at 9am i believe. and returned third week of april in the evening. pretty standard departure and arrival time for a flight to hk. he got it 3 weeks in advance i believe.