• Jan 9th, 2013 8:58 am
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2008
458 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

Expedia harassing small Mexican hotel?

This is an interesting article by the owners of the Luna Blue hotel in Playa del Carmen, Mexico:

Expedia: Bad for the traveller, bad for the hotel

The owners allege that Expedia posted incorrect information about their hotel and ignored requests to have it fixed and that Expedia reported their hotel fully booked when it was not in order to re-direct customers to larger and more lucrative hotels.

The relationship appears to have really deteriorated - it's an eye-opening read.
22 replies
May 17, 2007
3633 posts
746 upvotes
Burnaby
I've met the owners of the Luna Blue. I feel bad for them -they're struggling to keep the hotel open now, since with the cancellations, they're not even close to full occupancy.

This goes to show that if you want a boutique place, book directly with them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6684 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
Read that a while ago - the thing that I didn't get was initially Luna Blue kept fighting to get included in expedia - if you need a business to keep your business alive, then you have to play by their rules. Literally all they should be doing is keeping expedia happy, since they get the bulk of their reservations from them. All the petty stuff afterwards is wrong, but expedia has no "obligation" to keep them in their listings if they don't want to.
Jan 3, 2011
315 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
matdwyer wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:47 am
Read that a while ago - the thing that I didn't get was initially Luna Blue kept fighting to get included in expedia - if you need a business to keep your business alive, then you have to play by their rules. Literally all they should be doing is keeping expedia happy, since they get the bulk of their reservations from them. All the petty stuff afterwards is wrong, but expedia has no "obligation" to keep them in their listings if they don't want to.
I don't think they were fighting with Expedia. Initially Expedia (allegedly) listed inaccuracies regarding the rooms and the hotels which made their guests question the hotel and demand upgrades. Any business owner would not want their business misrepresented in anyone's eyes. They tried to get this corrected but it never was. At least that's what I understood from the article.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4522 posts
475 upvotes
I'd have to side with the hotel on this one. Expedia's Mexican staff were a bunch of d bags. It seems like Expedia doesn't want to fix the inaccuracies but still want to use Luna Blue as a reason to point customers to other boutique hotels.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15372 posts
1221 upvotes
Langley
I usually research with Expedia but I always book direct. The prices are usually the same, but the hotels usually have better cancellation policies.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1139 posts
91 upvotes
Kris81 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2013 10:40 am
If Expedia is lying saying that they are going out of business, why don't they just sue them?
Probably not a good idea if you're going out of business (ie. no money to pay for lawyers and the long court process).
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
Digo wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 10:01 am
Probably not a good idea if you're going out of business (ie. no money to pay for lawyers and the long court process).
My honest opinion is - if you're going out of business, you probably have more issues than expedia not listing all your rooms. Maybe instead of bitching to Expedia to begin with, they should have just accepted the fact that they only listed one style of room.
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24581 posts
2340 upvotes
Ottawa
matdwyer wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:47 am
Not exactly a "while ago" since they posted this on their blog on 4 December 2012.
I do agree thought that the hotels owners had other options and chose not to follow them.
Kris81 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 10:30 am
My honest opinion is - if you're going out of business, you probably have more issues than expedia not listing all your rooms. Maybe instead of bitching to Expedia to begin with, they should have just accepted the fact that they only listed one style of room.
I agree.

As always, there are two sides to the story, a personal blog by the hotel owners is only one side. I read the blog and there seems to be An awful lot of things happened within a year (as they stated the Expedia

Lastly, the fact they have been de-listed by Expedia is the reason for their vacancies? How did they get any guests before Expedia? They only had less than a years worth of Expedia affiliation. How did they do before that? Can't blame Expedia for everything.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 12:59 pm
Not exactly a "while ago" since they posted this on their blog on 4 December 2012.
I do agree thought that the hotels owners had other options and chose not to follow them.

I agree.

As always, there are two sides to the story, a personal blog by the hotel owners is only one side. I read the blog and there seems to be An awful lot of things happened within a year (as they stated the Expedia

Lastly, the fact they have been de-listed by Expedia is the reason for their vacancies? How did they get any guests before Expedia? They only had less than a years worth of Expedia affiliation. How did they do before that? Can't blame Expedia for everything.
I've never taken a week to go to a place like this, but I have on a regular rented cottages, and done bed & breakfasts. The thing is, generally speaking, they are super nice people who run these things, but not exactly the value most people look for. Personally, i'm sure if I went to their resort i'd have a "nice" time, but would try somewhere else at a later time.
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2332 posts
514 upvotes
Moncton
The hotel's "solution" to avoiding Expedia is one big fail: their site is in English only! Imagine the pain in the but that it would be if we illiminated the middle man and had to go to each hotel, that we knew of, individually untill we found one that met our budget and was available. Mexico vacations would quickly get expensive if we could only deal with English speaking hotels.

Don't use Expedia. Fine. But avoiding travel agency sites is not the solution. At least until Google comes up with a hotel version of google.ca/flights.

Also, Children: As we are a adults-only hotel, we welcome only children ages 14 and up. Frankly, that should be illegal, even in Mexico.
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
Pete_Coach and Armeee are on my ignore list.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4425 posts
988 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 9:42 pm
Also, Children: As we are a adults-only hotel, we welcome only children ages 14 and up. Frankly, that should be illegal, even in Mexico.
Umm, there is absolutely a market for people who don't want to be burdened by your rugrats ruining the enjoyment of our vacations. That they make it clear from the outset means that you're free to find someplace else to go.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2332 posts
514 upvotes
Moncton
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 10:01 pm
Umm, there is absolutely a market for people who don't want to be burdened by your rugrats ruining the enjoyment of our vacations. That they make it clear from the outset means that you're free to find someplace else to go.
There is also probably a market for antisemites, homophobics and racists, doesn't mean they should be catered to.
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
Pete_Coach and Armeee are on my ignore list.
Jul 22, 2003
939 posts
82 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 10:21 pm
There is also probably a market for antisemites, homophobics and racists, doesn't mean they should be catered to.
Wow, over generalize much?
If people want a vacation without children they should be allowed to do so.
What does it matter to you?
× < >