Expedia for TD higher prices that Expedia.ca and other issues

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2018 7:08 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2017
3 posts
Edmonton

Expedia for TD higher prices that Expedia.ca and other issues

I am not a happy camper today. I have been a TD infinite First Class travel VISA holder for about a decade, and have sung their praises to anyone who would listen, even through the various dilutions and devaluations of their points' value.

NO MORE!

Now, this may not be news to some of you, and I did do a somewhat cursory search on this forum, but as recently as 2013, conventional wisdom was that, as someone with more than 15,000 posts and 1,600 upvotes on here put it,
deal_with_singh wrote:
Apr 8th, 2013 12:23 am
Expedia for td = expedia. Everything is the same.
I was looking for a couple of nights in Amsterdam, and was doing a little more research than usual as the trip was for my elderly parents (making sure there are elevators, vicinity to certain landmarks, etc.). While checking out a hotel on Trip Advisor, a hotel name popped up that I had not seen during my extensive searches on expediafortd.com (hereinafter referred to as "TD"). Oddly, Trip Advisor's little price comparison tool showed a very attractive price for that hotel on expedia .ca ("CA"). So I followed the link, and there it was, that very same really good price on CA's site itself. So I do the search on TD, again, input the hotel name (Rho Hotel, May 24-26, 2017, if anyone is curious), and it comes back with "sold out" on those same dates. CA's site had 3 rooms left at that price, and while it was was unlikely that suddenly 3 rooms had freed up and showed up on one, but not the other site, I thought I'd call the toll free number to ask if that was possible.

The agent who answered the phone actually repeated my question back to me to make sure he understood it. He was genuinely surprised. He then put me on hold, and came back a few minutes later, with the apparent new knowledge that this was not abnormal. What he had been told by a superior/more experienced coworker was that TD and CA draw from different inventories, and it is in fact possible for a hotel to be sold out on TD but not on CA.

That's bad enough, but it gets worse, as you could probably tell by the thread subject.

I had always wondered about the "because you booked a flight, here is a preferential rate on a hotel, etc., but it expires in "X" days, so hurry and book," but I have a hilton family&friends discount and usually book through them, so I never gave it much thought.

So I ran the same search on both CA and TD - and yes, it was the CA site, and not the US .com, and yes, I triple-checked the number of travellers and the dates, and yes I actually clicked on the individual hotel search results to see if I was comparing the exact same rooms, with the exact same amenities, with the exact same cancellation privileges, with or whithout breakfast, and I followed the link up to the checkout stage where the true total was displayed (CA's search results appear to show the tax-included price, unlike TD's).

There are some real savings, for some hotels, for sure, especially where it tells you you saved a certain percentage off (although the baseline price differs in many cases between CA and TD, so I wonder). I conducted the same exercise for Vancouver (I am flying there as well soon). But there were quite a few where the final TD price was 1-3% higher, even when it was purportedly "discounted because you booked a flight". If you factor in the forgone Expedia+ points that are worth around 1.5%, there can in many cases be no savings by using TD, and occasionally one loses money. On several occasions, the hotel rooms would have the exact same rate before taxes and fees, but the taxes and fees on TD would be around $4.00 more on a $250 reservation, so again a similar difference.

Again, there are some deals to be had, many perhaps, and it does appear that TD would have some hotels in its inventory that CA doesn't but my experience seems to contradict the statements on TD's website ("access to a full inventory of Expedia Canada's 400+ airlines, 510,000+ hotels worldwide, car rentals, vacation packages and more at a site exclusively for TD Travel Credit Cardholders") and at least one other TD Canada Trust source ("What's the difference between Expedia.ca and Expedia For TD? ExpediaForTD.com offers the same travel available on Expedia.ca with the added exclusive benefit for TD Travel Cardholders of being able to earn more TD Points for their travel bookings")

And that ain't right.
24 replies
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
442 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
No big deal...Just get expediafortd to price match it
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2565 posts
656 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 7:42 am
No big deal...Just get expediafortd to price match it
how do you pricematch if it doesn't exist on TD ?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
442 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 7:52 am
how do you pricematch if it doesn't exist on TD ?
Expediafortd price matches any site.. Including Expedia or booking.com and etc...It's even better since you get a $50 extra credit in addition to price matching

So what's the big deal?

Edit I was talking about op saying TD Expedia prices were higher
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6631 posts
2341 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Different tour operators may offer different prices due to booking/blocking in smaller/larger quantities getting a better discount from hotels/airlines. Different tour agencies (TD vs Expedia) may offer different prices due to commission rates on said packages.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1249 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
We have always been able to get the same price on Expedia for TD as Expedia. It's just not as convenient as you have to phone, as well as find the number.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2461 posts
1103 upvotes
Toronto
I double check both sites as well. The times I have checked Expedia for TD was cheaper because I would have purchased a flight so I guess they show the "bundle" pricing of hotels.

I don't like the new points system they have but what can you do...
Jul 22, 2009
743 posts
154 upvotes
Brampton
Expedia for TD price match sucks too many restriction and 50 credit you get is hard to use, i had 50 credit for almost a year but i cant use it because i pm flight. I tried to use my $50 for pkg vacation (Flight & hotel) they would not let me, few months after i tried to book just hotel also not good so if you pm flight you can only use it for flight if you pm hotel you can only use it for hotel and so on
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30289 posts
5283 upvotes
Ottawa
"that TD and CA draw from different inventories, and it is in fact possible for a hotel to be sold out on TD but not on CA. " is the key statement.
I have recently booked 2 hotels in the US, somehow one form Expedia.CA and the other Expedia.COM. After the fact, I found one site included breakfast and the other did not, for the same hotel. I called Expedia only to find out that they are separate entities. (I happen to have 3 Expedia accounts, .COM, .CA and .AU) I should have known this as we encountered similar situations when traveling in Australia and using the .AU site.
Anyway, each domain (.ca, .com, .au) and amalgamator (expediafortd) seem to make independent "deals" with hotel discounters, so when one shows availability, the other many not.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1186 posts
300 upvotes
Oakville
Bumping an old thread due to my recent experiences with Expedia for TD:

I too have the TD Infinite First Class Travel VISA card which includes a modest amount of cancellation/interruption insurance so I've been using it selectively for an upcoming trip.

I had always assumed that Expedia for TD was Expedia with some extra perks/benefits but sadly, no.

I use Expedia.ca to do a lot of my research since I'm not usually logged into Expedia for TD.
For many hotels I've found that Expedia for TD prices are 10-15% higher than Expedia.ca

Having Expedia for TD price match is just too much hassle for the limited benefits received but I suppose that would need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Dec 7, 2006
440 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
RETD wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 10:02 am
Bumping an old thread due to my recent experiences with Expedia for TD:

I too have the TD Infinite First Class Travel VISA card which includes a modest amount of cancellation/interruption insurance so I've been using it selectively for an upcoming trip.

I had always assumed that Expedia for TD was Expedia with some extra perks/benefits but sadly, no.

I use Expedia.ca to do a lot of my research since I'm not usually logged into Expedia for TD.
For many hotels I've found that Expedia for TD prices are 10-15% higher than Expedia.ca

Having Expedia for TD price match is just too much hassle for the limited benefits received but I suppose that would need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
I've found this as well but generally, if booking hotels through Expedia, it would be better to do so with eBates anyways vs. Expedia for TD. I only use Expedia for TD for flights now.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18386 posts
287 upvotes
YVR
PC_YYZ wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 2:32 pm
I've found this as well but generally, if booking hotels through Expedia, it would be better to do so with eBates anyways vs. Expedia for TD. I only use Expedia for TD for flights now.
How are the prices? Will Expedia for TD pricematch?
Dec 7, 2006
440 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:35 pm
How are the prices? Will Expedia for TD pricematch?
I've found that flights on Expedia for TD are the same as Expedia, which is generally the same as all other travel sites.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
Just checked for some hotels and it's same price...too bad, i love it when I find lower price since it's a free $50 can credit
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2015 posts
630 upvotes
Edmonton
Just did a booking yesterday on Expedia for TD. I generally check on expedia.ca first because you need to log-in to see expedia for td prices. Yes, the prices differ more often than not. My wife was on expedia while I was on TD simultaneously. Granted, in this case, there was only a $5 difference on the package (TD was higher of course). If you want to throw a wrench into the picture, also check on travelocity.ca which you will see is eerily similar in format to Expedia (because Expedia owns it).

As for the price match, that is sheer hell. The form you need to complete never "submits" and shows an error message despite all areas being completed but it says there is missing information. I always have to e-mail in the details. Nine times out of ten, they will deny it because you need various screenshots. I just submitted one yesterday for the small price difference but the $50 voucher is the carrot. I expect to be denied again. The price match is only valid for 24 hours regardless. They say that they will get back to you in 72 hours but if you missed sending some crucial information and your booking can still be found at a lower price, you are out of luck. The problem is that you need to make sure that you have taken a screenshot of the hotel details and/or flight details which involves hitting a more information arrow, otherwise the information is insufficient. The whole process is set up against you.

Frankly, I would think that if you are price matching against Expedia, they should be able to retrieve there past prices to confirm validity.

I have been successful in getting vouchers, my last one not without a fight. I am not too hopeful on the current one, as it is a tiring process.