Credit Cards

Expedia TD is a rip off

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 11:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Jan 13, 2016
244 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Expedia TD is a rip off

I just discovered a hotel i'm booking on expedia costs $40.00 more then if i booked it through the hotel. Have other people found expedia to be expensive? Just another reason to dump this card for the tangerine card.
56 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
2047 posts
640 upvotes
Edmonton
Latebuyer wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 12:59 am
I just discovered a hotel i'm booking on expedia costs $40.00 more then if i booked it through the hotel. Have other people found expedia to be expensive? Just another reason to dump this card for the tangerine card.
Expedia for TD offers Price Guarantee. Take advantage of it and you'll be ahead of the game.

Price Guarantee
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3926 upvotes
BC
starchoice wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 1:11 am
Latebuyer wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 12:59 am
I just discovered a hotel i'm booking on expedia costs $40.00 more then if i booked it through the hotel. Have other people found expedia to be expensive? Just another reason to dump this card for the tangerine card.
Expedia for TD offers Price Guarantee. Take advantage of it and you'll be ahead of the game.

Price Guarantee
LOL. They must fund all the $50 price guarantees with the chumps paying $40 extra.

What a brilliant business model.

I'm going to start a business like this where I "guarantee" the best price. As long as < 25% of people bother to price match you make a fortune on the markup.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
629 posts
223 upvotes
"and give you an Expedia For TD future travel credit worth $50."

What a SCAM, you gotta book with them again and get SCAMMED again.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3926 upvotes
BC
jerryhung wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 7:30 am
ExpediaForTD, Expedia, Orbitz, everybody is OTA with various pricing
Nobody says they're ALWAYS the cheapest

Just book elsewhere if you like, or price match
OTA? "online travel agent", or "out their a--"?

Don't say both :) (I know it's both now) wondering which you meant :)
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
[OP]
Member
Jan 13, 2016
244 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I ended up booking with another hotel. Definitely the price guarantee isn't the greatest. I'm just going to use up my points and dump the card. For others using up points remember there are cheaper things in things to do. It looks like there is a spa finder card i will check out.
Jr. Member
Aug 12, 2015
187 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
As soon as they gutted the book any way feature I canceled that card. It's a shame, really liked what the program used to be.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15734 posts
3121 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't Expedia for TD also often more expensive than regular Expedia? That's what I seem to recall, when I was researching the TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite card, which is one reason I ended up passing on that. (I get the yearly fee waived on one TD credit card.) Instead, I got the TD Gold Elite Visa for the auto club benefits.
[OP]
Member
Jan 13, 2016
244 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Spa finder card is a gift card for spas that never expires and is available at 20000 locations. It was listed under victoria and vancouver. You'd have to check what other cities are available. It looks like a pretty good card. Go to spafinder.ca to see spas available.
[OP]
Member
Jan 13, 2016
244 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I just wanted to clarify the online guarantee. They will refund the difference in price along with a $50.00 credit so it actually is a pretty good guarantee. The catch is terms have to match exactly. For example, the hotel I wanted to book had a 48 hour cancellation policy while expedia has a 24 hour one therefore it would be disqualified. Actually I am happy with a 24 hour cancellation because the weather in BC is pretty rainy so I could maybe avoid that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15093 posts
5360 upvotes
skunkyjosh wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 2:43 am
"and give you an Expedia For TD future travel credit worth $50."

What a SCAM, you gotta book with them again and get SCAMMED again.
If they match the price then how is it a "scam"? You still get your TD rebate on top of this (which is the whole reason you are using the site)

Hotel prices can vary from provider to provider, that is why they have these guarantees. Look through Trivago and you will see many providers have price differences. Does that make them all a "scam"?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
629 posts
223 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 1:36 pm
skunkyjosh wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 2:43 am
"and give you an Expedia For TD future travel credit worth $50."

What a SCAM, you gotta book with them again and get SCAMMED again.
If they match the price then how is it a "scam"? You still get your TD rebate on top of this (which is the whole reason you are using the site)

Hotel prices can vary from provider to provider, that is why they have these guarantees. Look through Trivago and you will see many providers have price differences. Does that make them all a "scam"?

Not worth the hassle to get future rebates, I would just book somewhere else.
They scam you in the first place by overcharging you the trip.
That would make sense if they would match +$50.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3926 upvotes
BC
skunkyjosh wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 2:02 pm
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 1:36 pm
skunkyjosh wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 2:43 am
"and give you an Expedia For TD future travel credit worth $50."

What a SCAM, you gotta book with them again and get SCAMMED again.
If they match the price then how is it a "scam"? You still get your TD rebate on top of this (which is the whole reason you are using the site)

Hotel prices can vary from provider to provider, that is why they have these guarantees. Look through Trivago and you will see many providers have price differences. Does that make them all a "scam"?

Not worth the hassle to get future rebates, I would just book somewhere else.
They scam you in the first place by overcharging you the trip.
That would make sense if they would match +$50.
They do match + $50.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)