• Mar 2nd, 2014 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
136 posts
3 upvotes

expense tracking software

Yes I gather receipts. But its a hassle to individually categorize and enter each transaction. Plus I need something that has a desktop version plus an associated mobile version that will let me enter the transaction on my phone seconds after I complete the transaction without waiting until I get home.

Any software recommendations?
4 replies
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
66 upvotes
Look into "wave accounting"

I've been looking at this and may start using this year.

Iphone app is called "receipts by wave"

As far as I understand it coordinates with a desktop version. Other benefits as well other than receipt tracking
Aug 16, 2010
502 posts
85 upvotes
Thornhill
I use expensify.com . It's marketed as a tool to help track/generate business expense reports, but I use it to track my personal expenses. I take photo's of all my receipts (via their IOS app) and link them to expenses that are imported from my monthly credit card data. You can also create individual expenses on the fly from their website or their mobile app. You can categorize your expenses and they have a neat chart tool where you can see where your spending is going and how it has fluctuated over the months/years.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3035 posts
914 upvotes
Hamilton
I've been using YNAB (you need a budget) for several months. I love it. Great desktop app and amazing mobile app. They sync using Dropbox.

The mobile part is my favourite, as soon as I make a purchase, I open the app, hit add transaction, enter amount and fill 4 fields: merchant, category, payment method and date. Beautiful thing is it'll use GPS and show you stores that are closest to you, and when you choose a specific category and payment for that store, it'll populate it by default the next time. For example, when I'm walking out of Home Depot with a purchase, I open the app, enter cost, and it'll have Home Depot, Household Improvements, MasterCard and the date already populated. I just hit save.

The software is really designed around budgeting (and has excellent reports built in) but I use it to track all my spending. If you need it for business use I'm not sure if I would use it for that.
Feb 23, 2013
17 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
joey003 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2014 1:15 pm
I've been using YNAB (you need a budget) for several months. I love it. Great desktop app and amazing mobile app. They sync using Dropbox.

The mobile part is my favourite, as soon as I make a purchase, I open the app, hit add transaction, enter amount and fill 4 fields: merchant, category, payment method and date. Beautiful thing is it'll use GPS and show you stores that are closest to you, and when you choose a specific category and payment for that store, it'll populate it by default the next time. For example, when I'm walking out of Home Depot with a purchase, I open the app, enter cost, and it'll have Home Depot, Household Improvements, MasterCard and the date already populated. I just hit save.

The software is really designed around budgeting (and has excellent reports built in) but I use it to track all my spending. If you need it for business use I'm not sure if I would use it for that.
I use YNAB as well, and think it's great. I'm lazier than you are though, I just download a statement from my bank and YNAB automatically opens it and imports all of my transactions. Then I just have to choose the category they go into... takes me a few minutes a week, and I'm FAR more aware of my outgoing expenditures for it.