Experience with Ikea kitchen design options

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 10:57 am
[OP]
Dec 17, 2017
89 posts
51 upvotes

Experience with Ikea kitchen design options

I'm getting ready to redo my kitchen during the next Ikea kitchen sale. I'm confident in my ability to do the work as I've done it before but I'm having design issues. The current layout is poor and the room has a number of challenges. There's doors/windows/openings/hvac bulkheads on all 4 walls. I've been playing with the Ikea online planning tool but not really happy with what I've come up with and would like to pay for some expertise. Wondering if anyone has experience with design options?

1. The $129 in store or $259 in home planning services. Are they any good? Has anyone used the service? Can I give them the room dimensions and expect good layout?
  2. The online Ikea kitchen design firms. Anyone used them? IKD is one I found on google they charge $299 us for a complete design including the Ikea shopping list.
  3. Any recommendations for kitchen designers in the GTA that will do Ikea or even just do a design that I could build an Ikea plan off of? I realize this will be more expensive but I've tried a couple I've found via google and they all only do complete design & build projects using their cabinet suppliers and contractors.

Looking for any advice or experience.
4 replies
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
154 upvotes
York, ON
I went thru the similar issue. Old house with tiny kitchen with bay windows.

IKEA kitchen aren’t designed for that. So it took creative thinking for layout. Lots of compromises.

The quality is ok for the price. As real oak cabinets are expensive. The box can be non-oak to save money and have oak doors. This is what I would do next time.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1203 posts
382 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
This is who Ikea contracts out their installations to. I see they also do design, so I'm sure they would be a good choice. A friend used them (for installation only) and was very happy.

http://www.pegreno.com/
[OP]
Dec 17, 2017
89 posts
51 upvotes
Thanks guys.

Custom is probably out of my budget and the semi custom ones I've done or helped with in the past haven't really been better quality than ikea (and in some regards worse than ikea due to the lack of really good organizational systems)

Pegreno looks promising, I'll give them call tomorrow