• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2014 11:17 am
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
30 upvotes
Tdot
so when do i have to lineup? 1 am? lolz
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Mar 11, 2006
256 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
grappos13 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2009 10:41 am
worst deal ever.. u can make more money panhandling as a bum downtown during the 3 hrs ur waiting to save $20..
Yes but it would not be right to bud in on your job. :lol:
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15945 posts
617 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
no fobs allowed =P
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
67 upvotes
I should check to see if Starwalk is going to have a similar promo to get customers from Mandarin. When to the Brampton Mandarin recently and hubby complained the sushi was awful. He loves the stuff at our Starwalk at Rockwood Mall.
Dec 5, 2007
229 posts
Toronto
What's the format of the lineup?

Is it wait-in-line-until-you-are-seated or get-number-and-we-will-call-your-number-when-table-ready?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5187 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
repulse wrote:
Jun 28th, 2009 3:23 am
What's the format of the lineup?

Is it wait-in-line-until-you-are-seated or get-number-and-we-will-call-your-number-when-table-ready?
wait-in-line-until-you-are-seated.
May 9, 2008
5 posts
Toronto
This promotion by the Mandarin is a clear violation of section 1 of Ontario's Human Rights Code. See:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... _e.htm#BK2

[INDENT]Services
1. Every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability.[/INDENT]

The permissible exceptions to discrimination on the basis of citizenship are found in section 16 (none of which apply here):

[INDENT]Canadian Citizenship
16. (1) A right under Part I to non-discrimination because of citizenship is not infringed where Canadian citizenship is a requirement, qualification or consideration imposed or authorized by law.

(2) A right under Part I to non-discrimination because of citizenship is not infringed where Canadian citizenship or lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence is a requirement, qualification or consideration adopted for the purpose of fostering and developing participation in cultural, educational, trade union or athletic activities by Canadian citizens or persons lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence.

(3) A right under Part I to non-discrimination because of citizenship is not infringed where Canadian citizenship or domicile in Canada with the intention to obtain Canadian citizenship is a requirement, qualification or consideration adopted by an organization or enterprise for the holder of chief or senior executive positions.
[/INDENT]

I am a Canadian citizen myself, but this free meal only for citizens is wrong, offensive and discriminatory. This fact can be seen easily by making an analogy with other hypothetical situations where - for example - if a restaurant charges permanent residents or non-citizens twice as much as Canadian citizens; or if a movie theatre charges $10 for citizens but $13 for non-citizens.

While the Mandarin's intentions may be good - and it is one of my favourite restaurants - the Mandarin can comply with the law by opening this free meal benefit to all persons, rather than discriminating against non-citizens. Of course, they could also comply by withdrawing the free meal completely, but that would not be a wise public relations move. In the end, the free meals for everyone will cost them about the same amount of money, since they can only serve so many free meals during July 1.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1130 posts
60 upvotes
Spock999 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2009 11:20 pm
This promotion by the Mandarin is a clear violation of section 1 of Ontario's Human Rights Code. See:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... _e.htm#BK2

[INDENT]Services
1. Every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability.[/INDENT]
Well, they're not saying you can't eat there cuz you're not a citizen. You can, it just won't be free. A child pays a different price compared to an adult and so do senior citizens. A male haircut costs less than a female haircut.
May 9, 2008
5 posts
Toronto
The point is not that the Mandarin is prohibiting non-citizens from eating there on July 1. It is still unlawful if they offer the same service or goods but with different prices based on a prohibited ground of discrimination. There are some exceptions permitted under the Human Rights Code - for example, age discrimination is defined to cover 18 years or older - this permits different prices for children (see section 10). Also, under section 15, preferential treatment is permitted for ages 65 or over - this permits lower seniors' rates.

As for different prices for haircuts for men and women, this has been the subject of controversy or complaint before, and many jurisdictions around the world have explicitly banned gender-based pricing. A fairer system for haircut pricing would be gender-neutral, and it would be based on the length of the hair or complexity of the cut/style. I suppose hair salons try to get away with gender-based pricing on the grounds that women's haircuts or styles are usually more complex than men's. Even if that might be a viable argument for differential pricing, it is clear that there is no similar argument possible for the Mandarin when it is offering exactly the same food for different prices based solely on citizenship. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade (or chance at great free dinner), but this promotion is simply unlawful and wrong.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
269 upvotes
Kitchener
Finally a True Patriotic place ... What a DUMB promotion...pissing on the head of people who gives them business.

OT Mandarin in Kitchener is a waste of money, I won't go there even for free.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2081 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
The canadian thing is a farce...I don't think they will try and enforce it because if they turn some people away I'm afraid they're going to get more of a scene then they expect...they will probably say "oh you don't have your papers? its ok, just go in" if u don't have them :D
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
2199 posts
1313 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2009 5:58 am
The canadian thing is a farce...I don't think they will try and enforce it because if they turn some people away I'm afraid they're going to get more of a scene then they expect...they will probably say "oh you don't have your papers? its ok, just go in" if u don't have them :D
i hope they do enforce it because i plan on waiting in line. =)

Personally, i think this promotion that Mandarin is holding is not unlawful or discriminating in anyway.
They're celebrating Canada's Day for Canadians. Makes sense. However, i do see your point.

I'm pretty sure they won't get in trouble because they've had this promotion before.
=)
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." :-0

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)