Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

expired

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2014 11:17 am
Banned
May 14, 2009
230 posts
Gmas wrote: If anything, people were hanging out with family and friends in line - the best way to spend holidays.
The best way ever! UHUUHHHUUUU!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
Not only did the "violation of Human Rights" issue that was first complained about here make the National Post, but the issue was also the topic of discussion on Thursday afternoon on CFRB 1010 radio (Toronto).

I just caught a minute or 2 of it and it sounded like they had some lawyer guy who was saying it was a blatant violation, while most of the listeners were saying "geez.. a company can't even do something nice without people complaining! How Canadian..".

CFRB even put the question up on their website as the Poll of the Day:
Link: http://www.cfrb.com/polls/681/950064

Current results: Image I also found via Google their Facebook 'Discussion Wall': [link]
Someone there named Sandy seems to be the lone person making a fuss.

My personal opinion: it's no more discriminatory and in violation of the human rights code than businesses giving discounts for seniors, students, and children, or nightclubs or bars doing 'ladies get in free' nights, or separate mens and women's detention facilities. Meaning yes, it's a technical violation, but our society basically says it doesn't care. Neither do I.

----
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: idk about your locations, yo but my location an african-american guy, who waited forever to get in, got in, and yooo i saw his plate, he frickne cleaned out all the fried chicken, I never raged so hard, he literaly took the whole fried chicken from the pan so theres nothing let in the pan! his palte was madd stacked with fried chicken , I kid you not, I have witnesses.
Um, was he wearing the stars 'n stripes or something? He might have dual-citizenship but unless you have reason to believe he was actually American, it's just wrong to call black people "African-American". :idea:
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: also at my location someone got arrested for line jumping or assault or something.
I wish line-jumping was an actual offence - too bad it's not though; I'd guess the person probably got charged with disturbing the peace.

It never ceases to amaze me how:
- 1) so many Canadians will butt in line as if the concept of lines is completely foreign to them, and
- 2) so many Canadians will just stand there and let line-jumpers jump ahead of them without saying anything to the jumper or the people in front who allowed the jumper in.

When I first came to Canada, I was told that Canadians are "nice".
That's right, on average.

I'd say that:
- 30% of Canadians are inconsiderate and unethical,
- 30% of Canadians are "too nice", and won't dare upset anyone, even if they're clearly in the wrong or out of line (or in this case, butting in line!)
- 20% of Canadians might speak up about a wrong or want to help a stranger out, but you'd never know because they never bothered to learn one of the 2 official languages so if you don't speak their foreign language, you're S-O-L , and
- the remaining 20% of Canadians are just "nice" - they are unselfish, considerate, thoughtful human beings who not only aren't afraid to speak up, but they'll also stand up for others.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1160 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
RenegadeX wrote:
Um, was he wearing the stars 'n stripes or something? He might have dual-citizenship but unless you have reason to believe he was actually American, it's just wrong to call black people "African-American". :idea:
lol....oh the irony
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
-=Wraith=- wrote: lol....oh the irony
How?

Let me guess, you're thinking either (or both) that:
a) "many people referred to as 'black' have skin pigmentation that is more accurately described as a shade of brown..."
.. to which I'd say other than albinos how many "white" people are really white?
b) 'black' is used on the Canadian Census as an identifier of population group [see this link] - which is not necessarily the same thing as ethnic origin
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2010 posts
417 upvotes
Markham
RenegadeX wrote: How?

Let me guess, you're thinking either (or both) that:
a) "many people referred to as 'black' have skin pigmentation that is more accurately described as a shade of brown..."
.. to which I'd say other than albinos how "white" people are really white?
b) 'black' is used on the Canadian Census as an identifier of population group [see this link] - which is not necessarily the same thing as ethnic origin
Forget Mandarin, that was an entire buffet of pwnage :D
Apr 21, 2009
308 posts
8 upvotes
I watched the news on Canada Day on CBC I believe it was and they were at the Brichmount and Eglinton location, talking to some people (maybe a family because they were all talking at once and didn't mind interrupting each other). Anyway they were saying that they got in line at 10 a.m. and didn't get in to eat until 8:30 p.m., due to people budding the line. Is this for real? Were there really people like this? It's really unfortunate that people had nothing better to do on our country's birthday, than to spend 12 hours in line at Mandarin...
Banned
May 14, 2009
230 posts
LisaB wrote: Anyway they were saying that they got in line at 10 a.m. and didn't get in to eat until 8:30 p.m., due to people budding the line. Is this for real?
It can't be for real.

At 8:30pm Mandarin would be closed, or wouldn't it?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2003
2726 posts
151 upvotes
LisaB wrote: I watched the news on Canada Day on CBC I believe it was and they were at the Brichmount and Eglinton location, talking to some people (maybe a family because they were all talking at once and didn't mind interrupting each other). Anyway they were saying that they got in line at 10 a.m. and didn't get in to eat until 8:30 p.m., due to people budding the line. Is this for real? Were there really people like this? It's really unfortunate that people had nothing better to do on our country's birthday, than to spend 12 hours in line at Mandarin...
It was a hunger strike!!

go CUPE!!
(\______
(='.'=)
(\__/)
(")_(")
Mar 21, 2008
912 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
I would pay $14 to avoid to avoid the hassle