Tags:
[OP]
Mar 7, 2006
511 posts
179 upvotes
Mississauga

[Dell] *Expired* Dell XPS 13 *Expired*

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-13-9343-la ... 343-laptop

Probably one of the best 13" laptops on the market today. The QHD+ screen adds more pixels, some weight but you lose 2-3 hours of battery life in return.

Wirecutter says this is the best ultrabook on the market: thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-windows-ultrabook/
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6431 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
blue_lammer wrote: http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-13-9343-la ... 343-laptop

Probably one of the best 13" laptops on the market today. The QHD+ screen adds more pixels, some weight but you lose 2-3 hours of battery life in return.

Wirecutter says this is the best ultrabook on the market: thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-windows-ultrabook/

This is probably YMMV but for people who qualify for an education/work discount you can try using this code for an extra 10% off: 03DK4KFD$C8?4Q

I was able to get it down lower in my cart.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/ ... uwn2aq.png[/IMG]
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1359 posts
289 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm torn between this and the Spectre x360. The design of the XPS is brilliant but it's too expensive for my taste.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1488 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
ebates is 15% and dell advantage is 5%.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2006
511 posts
179 upvotes
Mississauga
SquirreI wrote: I'm torn between this and the Spectre x360. The design of the XPS is brilliant but it's too expensive for my taste.
The wirecutter recommends the UX305 with the 256GB and Wireless N as a budget option. It's $870 at Amazon. It'll be slower as it uses the CORE M processor instead of the i5 in the XPS.

Picking it up it's a very solid, lightweight laptop. It's not really on sale right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2309 posts
202 upvotes
North York
Haven't been following laptops much - is the QHD+ screen too much for the 13"? I previously had an old XPS 13 but it's 1080p resolution made all the texts, icons, etc. really tiny and hard to read.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2006
511 posts
179 upvotes
Mississauga
xeodragon wrote: Haven't been following laptops much - is the QHD+ screen too much for the 13"? I previously had an old XPS 13 but it's 1080p resolution made all the texts, icons, etc. really tiny and hard to read.
There's scaling issues as you mentioned where applications just don't look right. Hopefully it'll be fixed on windows 10.

It's a really gorgeous screen and if think if you are OK with the battery life tradeoff (going from 15 hours to 9 on light usage, from 8 to 5 hours on heavy usage) you should get it. It also comes with a glossy bezel-less gorilla glass protector.

For me as a working professional I would much prefer the extended battery life and glare free monitor the FHD model provides.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1188 posts
715 upvotes
blue_lammer wrote: The wirecutter recommends the UX305 with the 256GB and Wireless N as a budget option. It's $870 at Amazon. It'll be slower as it uses the CORE M processor instead of the i5 in the XPS.

Picking it up it's a very solid, lightweight laptop. It's not really on sale right now.

Its 809 on the Microsoft store using the student discount.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4326 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
DanP wrote: Its 809 on the Microsoft store using the student discount.
MS store has no stock and has had no stock for over a month.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6431 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
xeodragon wrote: Haven't been following laptops much - is the QHD+ screen too much for the 13"? I previously had an old XPS 13 but it's 1080p resolution made all the texts, icons, etc. really tiny and hard to read.
I'm on a 15" Lenovo Y50 with a UHD (3640 x 2160 resolution) and as beautiful it is too look at my desktop background in 4K and read sharp text using office applications and web browsing, it's a total pain in the a$$ when using programs that don't scale properly on the high resolution. For example I use Adobe Elements Photoshop/Premiere for work a lot but they're pretty much unusable because of tiny menus and text from not scaling properly when in 4K. I need to restart my computer in 1920 x 1080 to be able to work with them. So I'm assuming the QHD+ screen on the touch XPS 13 will have the same issues as my Y50, but being even a smaller screen might make it seem worse.

As blue_lammer stated.... we're all hoping this gets fixed in Windows 10.

On a side note I played around with the non-touch FHD XPS 13 at the Microsoft Store and that screen resolution seemed to be perfect. However I liked the contrast on the touch version better.
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6690 posts
2090 upvotes
Mississauga
jamgyu wrote: This is probably YMMV but for people who qualify for an education/work discount you can try using this code for an extra 10% off: 03DK4KFD$C8?4Q

I was able to get it down lower in my cart.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/ ... uwn2aq.png[/IMG]
How are you getting $250? I just added it to the cart,but I'm getting $50 off instead your $250 discount.
Jun 29, 2014
187 posts
46 upvotes
BC
OP, is there a way to remove the Office 365 Personal? I already have my own license.