• Dec 5th, 2018 9:03 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1393 posts
600 upvotes
GTA
sports1 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 11:19 pm
When I did this last year, I just printed the DD form and went to their branch to have the external account link setup.

Good to know you can do it via secured message as well.

T&C for the lazy:

I think I closed my account late August/early September :( Damn, gotta wait for next time to get this.
Thanks for the note, I realize I left it open for a while waiting for a promo that never came. I too am disqualified :(
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1277 posts
438 upvotes
ON
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 6:08 am
Seems like it's better to deposit in early September?
Note to those thinking of setting up the account and depositing late. They take forever to make the initial deposit available.
I made my deposit Aug 8, it's still on hold.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4863 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
My account is no longer active, if I sign up again do they consider me a new account holder?
Aug 7, 2010
769 posts
170 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
Aug 20th, 2018 6:27 pm
My account is no longer active, if I sign up again do they consider me a new account holder?
When you say "no longer active", do you mean that you closed the account? If not, call them right away and request to close the account otherwise they will hit you with an inactivity fee (it happened to me!!!).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5021 posts
3983 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
thetipster wrote:
Aug 20th, 2018 5:12 pm
Note to those thinking of setting up the account and depositing late. They take forever to make the initial deposit available.
I made my deposit Aug 8, it's still on hold.
I e-transferred my initial deposit in.
Easy peasy.
And yes their hold times are atrocious.
The last Meridian promo I took part in (2015?) I was making regular deposits in to benefit from the interest rate at that time.
One small cheque deposit ($25 or $30) was held for a month!
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7402 posts
3430 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
coolintheshade wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 4:18 pm
I e-transferred my initial deposit in.
Easy peasy.
And yes their hold times are atrocious.
The last Meridian promo I took part in (2015?) I was making regular deposits in to benefit from the interest rate at that time.
One small cheque deposit ($25 or $30) was held for a month!
I did e-transfer as well. Smooth sailing.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1755 posts
702 upvotes
Kitchener
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 12:44 am
Promo is back! Open a new member account at Meridian, deposit $1k and collect $100 WB. Easy peasy.

I know @jacnel should be all over this.

Official page here.
So the plan here is; open account, get $100, then put $1,100 in an RRSP, and bingo, Bob's your uncle, more money for me, and less for the feds...damn, just brilliant.
Well, I am not a crook.
Feb 1, 2018
560 posts
565 upvotes
Montréal
By the way, I got my debit card in the mail about a week after opening the account. Two things to know:

1. When you phone in to activate the card, there's no option on the phone line for new card activation. You're forced to wait in a queue to speak to an agent, and they ask you a bunch of security questions and then activate the card. The hold time was approximately 25 minutes when I did it. A bit frustrating.

2. You will get a PIN number in the mail separate from your debit card (usually within a day or two -- mine came next day). When you activate the card, they will activate this PIN only. There's no option to change it on the phone; you have to visit an ATM or a branch to change it. Just about any ATM in the Exchange Network will allow you to do this, but it's an extra step you have to take if you wish to change your PIN.

To be fair, I'm not really sure why I bothered to get the debit card, since I can't see myself using it for this savings account. I checked the box when asked on the application form and kinda forgot about it. But in case anyone was planning to use Meridian for chequing purposes, or wants the debit card for whatever reason, I just figured I'd share this as a data point.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1755 posts
702 upvotes
Kitchener
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 5:44 pm
I did e-transfer as well. Smooth sailing.
How does one do an e-transfer? I tried, and this is what I get:
Sorry, you do not currently hold an account that offers Interac e-Transfer functionality. Questions? Please call 1-866-592-2226.
MEH! Had it create a chequing account. It's all good.
Last edited by jeff1970 on Aug 22nd, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I am not a crook.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1755 posts
702 upvotes
Kitchener
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 6:08 pm
Send e-transfer to yourself?
That's what I had done, but apparently, the HISA isn't eligible to receive e-transfers. So I skirted the issue by creating a chequing account with Meridian to accept the e-transfer and then transferring from that account to the HISA.
Well, I am not a crook.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7402 posts
3430 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jeff1970 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 6:11 pm
That's what I had done, but apparently, the HISA isn't eligible to receive e-transfers. So I skirted the issue by creating a chequing account with Meridian to accept the e-transfer and then transferring from that account to the HISA.
My HISA accepted the e-transfer flawlessly.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1755 posts
702 upvotes
Kitchener
Did you have to call in to set it up to accept e-transfers? Actually, I am referring to interac transfers.
Well, I am not a crook.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7402 posts
3430 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jeff1970 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 8:46 pm
Did you have to call in to set it up to accept e-transfers? Actually, I am referring to interac transfers.
Never done an interac transfer. I prefer e-transfer.
May 19, 2015
642 posts
221 upvotes
Are people still having trouble closing these accounts?

I remember a promo a ?few years ago where people reported Meridian giving you a hard time. I would open it just for the promo, I have enough accounts that I don't see the point... unless someone has specific reasons they keep their account vs tangerine or any of the other free ones
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️