Off Topic Archive

Locked: Expired Mouthwash - Safe to Use?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2008 2:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7435 posts
316 upvotes
Canada

Expired Mouthwash - Safe to Use?

Hey guys,

Is it safe to use expired mouthwash? I have a bottle that expired about 2 years ago, but I've been using it a couple times already and it seems okay (didn't notice the expiry date until today)
EDIT: Just to clarify, I didn't buy it recently, it was in my closet for a few years I guess..I kept using the newer bottles I was buying without looking further in my closet for older bottles I guess

Is it still safe to use?

I asked a dental hygenist, and she said it should be okay, but was not definitive, so, any dentists/oral expert opinion?

And BTW, this seems like a stupid question/joke thread, but, its not really, is it safe to use? I even googled for an answer and couldn't find any definitive answers...

Can an antiseptic really go bad?
He died for me, I live for him.
Share:
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2327 posts
7 upvotes
I suggest you return it to the store after using it a few times.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7435 posts
316 upvotes
Canada
abu_sme wrote:
Dec 8th, 2008 12:57 am
I suggest you return it to the store after using it a few times.
Oh sorry, just to clarify, I bought it a while ago but I guess it got tucked away to the back of the closet until I pulled it out recently.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4773 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
shannn wrote:
Dec 8th, 2008 12:58 am
Oh sorry, just to clarify, I bought it a while ago but I guess it got tucked away to the back of the closet until I pulled it out recently.
Glad you didn't take it the wrong way... the previous poster is referring to this thread.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2007
2320 posts
2 upvotes
sounds kinda disgusting, just buy another. better safe than sorry.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
I don't think stuff like that truly goes bad. I think it just becomes less potent.
kuqdew wrote:
Jan 31st, 2008 11:24 am
And FYI, I make pretty good marks in school and is in the gifted class.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7435 posts
316 upvotes
Canada
KorruptioN wrote:
Dec 8th, 2008 1:15 am
Glad you didn't take it the wrong way... the previous poster is referring to this thread.
Oh gosh, thats disgusting, haha
ricebowl wrote:
Dec 8th, 2008 1:18 am
sounds kinda disgusting, just buy another. better safe than sorry.
I figured I should err on the side of caution, but, it just seems odd that an antiseptic would go "bad"
drucillica wrote:
Dec 8th, 2008 1:26 am
I don't think stuff like that truly goes bad. I think it just becomes less potent.
I figured this too, just wanted to clarify

Hmm, maybe I'll do some cool experiments with the mouth wash, haha
Otherwise, I guess I should throw it away...or down the toilet, or something safe...
Jul 31, 2006
133 posts
be on the safe side and throw it out? you people have got to be kidding. this person is not ingesting this product, which is alcohol based, and thus poses no risk at all. my god is our society becoming afraid of everything.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23286 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Medici wrote:
Dec 8th, 2008 1:15 pm
be on the safe side and throw it out? you people have got to be kidding. this person is not ingesting this product, which is alcohol based, and thus poses no risk at all. my god is our society becoming afraid of everything.
+1

Sheesh. It's the killer of stuff, it doesn't die.
Jul 5, 2004
21335 posts
1573 upvotes
I also once had a bottle of expired mouthwash. I still used it. It's not like I was drinking the stuff.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2423 posts
82 upvotes
It "should" be ok, but like someone else mentioned, it's $4/bottle you might as well get another one.

To the two posters above, you may be correct in that it's alcohol based (and you may not as there are a good number of non-alcohol based mouthwashes out there), but the potency of the mouthwash may have been diminished significantly when used beyond it's shelf life. Not to mention that if it isn't alcohol-based, the chemical cocktail put together to make the mouthwash may have broken down, or worse, began breaking down the plastic bottle around it.

Edit: Post #888 :D Heh... The Chinese runs strong in this one.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3580 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I usually give my expired mouthwash to the vagrants. They seem to like it a lot. :D
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2005
3789 posts
42 upvotes
South Orange
It contains alcohol? Should be ok right?
373 upvotes
Oakville
Most things require an expiry date, and most are always on the safe side. In the case with mouthwash and even most medications they just become less affective over time. So don't be surprised if you get a cavity down the road because you used expired mouthwash. I doubt that will happen though.

Personally I eat a lot of things that are supposedly "expired", if it passes the sight test and the smell test, I move on to the taste test.

FYI...honey is the only food that doesn't go bad.
× < >