None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14539 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough

Expired OHIP

Does anyone know if the process for renewing an expired health card is the same as renewing an unexpired health card?

I just realized mine expired Jan 2006, it's almost been a year. I looked all over the OHIP website and it doesn't seem to refer to expired health cards.

I tried calling the INFOLINE but I have to go through a long recording of options to get into the queue and then there is a long wait for the queue and I eventually got disconnected or I had to disconnect cuz of customer calls.

Anyone know?
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread
Share:
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5529 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
gotta google a little harder :P

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... aq_dt.html

My photo health card has expired. How do I renew my health card?
Your photo health card has an expiry date that is linked to your date of birth. The first time you apply for a photo health card, the expiry date can be anywhere from two to seven years in the future. When your photo health card is renewed, the renewal date will always be five years in the future and linked to your date of birth.

Renewal notices for photo health cards are mailed approximately two months prior to the expiry date shown on the front of the photo health card; however, if it is more convenient, you can renew up to six months prior to the date of expiry.

To learn more about renewing your Ontario photo health card, refer to the fact sheet Renewing Your Photo Health Card.

Leads you to...

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... renew.html
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14539 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough
Yea I found that but I was looking for more convincing words like "it does not matter how long your health card has expired..." or "follow this process only if your health card is recently expired (within 6 months or 1 yr)"...

I guess I'll just stroll into an MHO branch and see how far I get. Just wanted to get all the info beforehand so I don't have to waste a trip or anything like that.
TVPad4 | User Thread
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14539 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough
So i just came back from the OHIP office. It took me forever to find the place because I was looking for it at Warden and Eglinton when the office was at Warden and Lawrence.

The wait was like 15 minutes which is lightning fast. Everyone who worked there behind the counter seemed to be hurt in some way - very strange. The girl that helped me had a brace on her wrist. The guy in the counter next to her had a bandage on his face/neck.

I prefilled some form from the OHIP website and arrived. The securitas security guard asked to see my documents and form. I said "I'm not too comfortable showing you my stuff." So he sheepishly goes, "ok well have them ready and show the girl" referring to the lady at reception.

I sat down and finished the rest of my lunch. I brought lunch cuz I figured it would be a long wait. They were at A222 and my ticket was A227 so I was sort of the fifth person in line. They did take care of other tickets Bs, Cs while I was waiting.

When my number came up I went to the girl with the brace on her wrist and she was chatting with the guy next counter about Simpsons episodes. She was semi friendly and asked whether I've been out of the country when she saw my health card expired in Jan 2006. I said I was absent minded.

She proceeded to give me a semi-stern lecture on "what if i had an accident"... my family members would have be there instead of me pleading my case cuz my OHIP coverage had lapsed. I said yeah you're right but it completely slipped my mind cuz I don't recall getting sent a letter.

She looked at her screen and said that a letter had been sent to my mailing address but was returned back to them. She read the mailing address to me and it was an old PO Box I used to keep. Then she told me it's my responsibility to update my mailing address with the ministry when I move.

I was confused at this point because I was sure I changed my addresses with the government at that MTO kiosk. But I took her lecture anyway and completed the process. She gave me a piece of a paper and I suppose that is my temporary health card. Oh yeah, somewhere in that process I got my picture taken.

Just before leaving, I asked to see my health card and on the back there is my address. So I asked her WTF and she lectured me again that it's my responsibility to update the mailing address. So apparently in the process of updating my residential address, I had left my mailing address the same.

This last part is funny because I went through the same process for my driver's license (at the MTO kiosk) and the MTO updated my mailing address...

Oh and because my health card expired, the lady at reception wanted every ID I had on me for presentation to the girl with the brace.

Otherwise you just need two pieces of ID, one that proves your citizenship and the other one your address.
TVPad4 | User Thread
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
1 upvote
I do not trust those kiosk.I once use one to update my info and the office never got it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5529 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
It's kind of funny and odd that with the new health cards..you can't use them for ID but you need 2 pieces of ID to get one.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3564 posts
761 upvotes
Calgary
Good old red card. All broken up and scotch taped together, but still better then having it expire :) .
May 2, 2005
377 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I work at a medical office .. so I deal a lot with OHIP cards. It is good that you got your health card renewed but it is rare that they will cancel your card or won't cover you for the next few years. Whenever you renew your health card, your version code stays the same. The version code only changes when you lose your health card. I had a patient coming in with a health card that expired in 2004. I verified his health card with the OHIP system and it was still valid.

But anyhow .. to all those people with the red and white cards, KEEP THEM. No matter who tells you to change them, don't! You'll regret having to update your card with the ministry every so often.
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
1 upvote
Greenapples
I have the old ohip card now it cracked almost in half.The last time i was at the er they told me a need to upgrade as they will not take a card that is not in good shape.Do you know if they can force you to upgrade.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1352 posts
11 upvotes
Narci wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 3:43 pm
It's kind of funny and odd that with the new health cards..you can't use them for ID but you need 2 pieces of ID to get one.
Really? you can't use it for ID? That is more of a piss off then funny. :evil:
Oct 27, 2002
588 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
greenapples wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 6:38 pm
I work at a medical office .. so I deal a lot with OHIP cards. It is good that you got your health card renewed but it is rare that they will cancel your card or won't cover you for the next few years. Whenever you renew your health card, your version code stays the same. The version code only changes when you lose your health card. I had a patient coming in with a health card that expired in 2004. I verified his health card with the OHIP system and it was still valid.

But anyhow .. to all those people with the red and white cards, KEEP THEM. No matter who tells you to change them, don't! You'll regret having to update your card with the ministry every so often.
what software does you're office use?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7260 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
:evil:

:cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9962 posts
445 upvotes
Mississauga
d0fuz wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 7:21 pm
Really? you can't use it for ID? That is more of a piss off then funny. :evil:
Narci wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 3:43 pm
You cannot use health cards as ID because it is illegal to do so. It is illegal for someone who is not a health professional to request to see your health card.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1167 posts
151 upvotes
North York
A lot of people don't know that you can pre-book an appointment time to renew your card. Sometimes, the wait can be quite long, depending on the time of day you arrive. I waited about 25 mins when I walked in on a friday morning, but I saw another couple go straight up to the desk to renew their card.

Here's the number to book it: 1-888-376-5197

There's also a website to find all the pieces of ID/letters you need to bring, and which locations are nearest you.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14539 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough
royaljelly wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 2:43 am
Here's the number to book it: 1-888-376-5197

There's also a website to find all the pieces of ID/letters you need to bring, and which locations are nearest you.

I tried calling a number - dun remember whether it's the same one as you posted. I just know it wasted ten minutes of my time listening to recordings and menu options. Eventually I got the option to talk to a real person and pressed that and wasted ten more minutes waiting in the queue, only to get disconnected.

I called back and got lost in the menu selection system. One time I somehow hacked into their mailbox when I was pressing random numbers and it started telling me when the last message received was and from what number.

So my story learned? Had I just got straight to an OHIP office instead of muck around researching information and trying to do things properly, I would've had my health card renewed in less time.
TVPad4 | User Thread
× < >