Shopping Discussion

Expired product policy at supermarkets ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 6:49 am
[OP]
Oct 10, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes

Expired product policy at supermarkets ?

Bought a food product and found it 3 months past the expiry date ?
Went to the store for refund.
The employee was chill it about as if nothing happened.
And I was not offered any discount and coupon for this issue.

Forget about selling near expiry products to customers.
In EU the supermarkets are not allowed to throw the within 1 day expiry products in the bin because the homeless people may eat it and fall ill.
Matter of fact supermarkets faced lawsuits which is why they stopped throwing away near expiry products in the bins.

I know comparing laws of EU to Canada is like comparing BMW to hyundai but when a product is 3 months past expiry then clearly the store is at fault.

I was expecting to get something other than a refund or exchange out of it because it would have showed that the store was serious about this issue & not that I needed money.
Last edited by MyNameIsJeff on Oct 13th, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
41 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12905 posts
3301 upvotes
Montreal
Loblaws is great for that - even if it's not expired, half the food I pick up has to be eaten in the store or it'll go bad. Bread is the worst, as the shelves are literally full of bread that expires the same day - "Hey buddy, where is the toaster?"

The last time it happened on a pack of granola bars that were so old only the year looked off (and were all crusty white) they gave me a pack for free, but I'm not sure if it's a policy or anything.
Sep 8, 2006
615 posts
333 upvotes
Edmonton
They gave you a refund without question. What more do you want? It was just a mistake. I always check the expiry date before buying.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5912 posts
3511 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
In reality... EXPIRY DATE is a misnomer
In Canada there are only a few food categories / items that have Expiry Dates

The majority of dates on Cdn Food are BEST BEFORE DATES
These dates don’t represent that the food item will be bad BY OR AFTER THAT DATE
Just that the food is at its OPTIMUM BEST BEFORE THAT DATE

For more info see these 2 News Articles
GLOBAL = https://globalnews.ca/news/4243521/best ... ood-waste/
CBC = https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/best-bef ... -1.3006858

And the Canada Food Inspection Agency’s Info Sheet on the Topic
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 2357545633

That said...
I do read the Dates on things in the store when I am shopping
And I pay closer attention to Eggs, Fish, Meats & Dairy than other items... cause they tend not to last long once home & opened
Another reason it pays to check the back of shelves for later Best Before Dates cause the clerks stock shelves from the backend... so that first in is also meant to be first out. Often find dairy items a whole week later at the back of the shelf vs the front
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2996 posts
2524 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:08 am

The majority of dates on Cdn Food are BEST BEFORE DATES
This. The best before date most often has nothing to do with the expected food spoilage date. It can be something as innocuous as cake icing starting to dry out, so it's no longer at its creamy "best". The whole cake including the icing is still good to eat.

You'll find expiry dates on medicine and the like, where you do need to pay close attention.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts a location-specific question without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Sep 21, 2017
73 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:37 am
The employee was chill about as if nothing happened.
Is this normal in supermarkets because now I have to make sure I check the expiry dates before I buy.
A refund is probably all you will get. I always check dates ever since I worked in a grocery store. Other employees would be lazy and just push the new stock in front of the old so sometime I would find stuff that's like 6+ months past date and this was canned or tetra packed goods which probably last at least a year normally so it was happening for a long time. Most people aren't paid enough to care much about rotation.
Sep 9, 2017
902 posts
576 upvotes
Winnipeg
JackWhyte wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:40 am
Loblaws is great for that - even if it's not expired, half the food I pick up has to be eaten in the store or it'll go bad. Bread is the worst, as the shelves are literally full of bread that expires the same day - "Hey buddy, where is the toaster?"
in tears here I'm laughing so hard...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3282 posts
2230 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:43 am
You'll find expiry dates on medicine and the like, where you do need to pay close attention.
I heard that expiry dates on medicine don't mean much either. Apparently something like a Tylenol could still be good after 10+ years past the expiry date. Worst that could happen is it doesn't work as well as intended.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12905 posts
3301 upvotes
Montreal
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:08 am
Within reason, but the granola bars I bought were almost a year over the Best Before date and when I opened a few, they were coated in a white covering and smelled like crap.
Nov 1, 2001
431 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
Is this normal in supermarkets because now I have to make sure I check the expiry dates before I buy.
ahh... i remember the good ol days when Dominion had a "fresh or it's free" policy.
Jan 17, 2013
484 posts
110 upvotes
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
You are lucky they accepted your return without rejecting it. They could have said "you can't return expired items".

In Superstore, the clerk would check on expiry dates before accepting your return.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19890 posts
3758 upvotes
Poormond Hill
superfresh89 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 8:59 pm
I heard that expiry dates on medicine don't mean much either. Apparently something like a Tylenol could still be good after 10+ years past the expiry date. Worst that could happen is it doesn't work as well as intended.
That is why medicine has an "Expiry Date". If you are sick, those expired medicine may not be able to help you if your immune system is weak.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5912 posts
3511 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 11:23 am
That is why medicine has an "Expiry Date". If you are sick, those expired medicine may not be able to help you if your immune system is weak.
This

Plus it changes how the dosage works / doesn’t work ... or alters the chemical composition

Meds is something you don’t want to mess around with.

Doctor: Ok what have you taken thus far
Patient: 500 mgs of leftover expired drug X from like 5 years ago

Seriously... how is a Medical Professional supposed to know what actual dosage you’ve gotten thus far ?

You’re sick, you want to get better / help ... but you take matters into your own non-professional hands
Ya just don’t

EDIT / ADD - This is where your Pharacist can be a major help. ASK QUESTIONS
Also WHY Pharmacies take back / recycle expired meds... they don’t think it wise we all take matters into our own hands
They want us to stay safe
Oct 7, 2013
419 posts
158 upvotes
MyNameIsJeff wrote:

I now have to make sure I check the expiry dates before I buy.
I would have thought this would be a normal thing to do - checking the dates/codes before you put it in your cart?

Doing so saves a lot of potential headaches & hassles
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6113 posts
763 upvotes
In fairness the expiry/best before dates are written in extremely small print and usually positioned in some obscure spot where they're hard to notice. And not all food items have expiry dates. For any store, going through the stock to weed out old product is extremely time consuming and not a high priority. I would imagine that the stock clerks only do it when they have nothing else to do and that's probably rare. The chances of finding expired items in any store is probably pretty good. I don't pay attention to high turnover items but I do look closely at things that I know are slow movers, especially if the product has a layer of dust on it.