Shopping Discussion

Expired product policy at supermarkets ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 6:49 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9282 posts
1843 upvotes
Markham
Simby wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:47 am
They gave you a refund without question. What more do you want? It was just a mistake. I always check the expiry date before buying.
Exactly, they didn't force you to buy it. They didn't change or cross off the expiry date.
I agree that the store should put the expired stuff away, and they do accept your full refund.

We always check expiry date before purchase. We will not buy it if the item is too close to the expiry date and we may not able to finish it by then.
Or some items we buy as enjoy tonight for 30-50% off at Loblaws or NF. We check expiry date and if we can finish it today or tomorrow. We don't mind getting it aslong as they looks fine.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3294 posts
2234 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 11:23 am

That is why medicine has an "Expiry Date". If you are sick, those expired medicine may not be able to help you if your immune system is weak.
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 11:30 am
This

Plus it changes how the dosage works / doesn’t work ... or alters the chemical composition

Meds is something you don’t want to mess around with.

Doctor: Ok what have you taken thus far
Patient: 500 mgs of leftover expired drug X from like 5 years ago

Seriously... how is a Medical Professional supposed to know what actual dosage you’ve gotten thus far ?

You’re sick, you want to get better / help ... but you take matters into your own non-professional hands
Ya just don’t

EDIT / ADD - This is where your Pharacist can be a major help. ASK QUESTIONS
Also WHY Pharmacies take back / recycle expired meds... they don’t think it wise we all take matters into our own hands
They want us to stay safe
Sure, that might be the case for carefully controlled dosages f
or a medicine that is used long term.

How about something over the counter? If I have a headache and all I've got are some expired Advils kicking around .. I'm sure they'll do the job.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19895 posts
3765 upvotes
Poormond Hill
superfresh89 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 12:39 pm
Sure, that might be the case for carefully controlled dosages f
or a medicine that is used long term.

How about something over the counter? If I have a headache and all I've got are some expired Advils kicking around .. I'm sure they'll do the job.
Even over the counter drugs losses their effectiveness over time. Yes, it may do the job. But it may not. Expiry dates are not only used for medicine. It is also used in Infants and Pet foods.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1741 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Stores r cheap, just like RFDers. They make mistakes all the time and will not give u something extra. Ever go home from a clothing store with the security tag still attached to ur purchase? Same treatment. That is why I check stuff so that I don't have to make a return trip.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Jan 12, 2017
757 posts
505 upvotes
Maple Ridge
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:37 am
now I have to make sure I check the expiry dates before I buy.
You didn't before???
Do you know how it can be abused if stores compensate more than refund?
Buy milk today, wait two week, buy another one, go back with old one, profit?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3879 posts
1228 upvotes
Simby wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:47 am
They gave you a refund without question. What more do you want? It was just a mistake. I always check the expiry date before buying.
Lol I know really, I cringe at the entitled, blame anyone and everyone else society we now live in

What do they expect them to come to their house and cook them a grain fed non gmo dinner for their family too?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Oct 10, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:37 pm
Lol I know really, I cringe at the entitled, blame anyone and everyone else society we now live in

What do they expect them to come to their house and cook them a grain fed non gmo dinner for their family too?
I did not mind that I had to waste my time and gas to drive to the store.
It does not seem much when others suffer.
But wait till you find out one day that the food you bought for your own kid is 3 months past expiry.
Humans laugh at others until something bad hits them.

When stores offer customers discount/vouchers/coupons/credit for resolution of mistakes then the sole purpose is to show they care and not that customer needs money.
Its shows the seriousness and policy of the supermarkets in general with regards to the expiry date policy.
If its 3 to 7 days to expiry then its my fault as I should have checked that. I notice that happens a lot when they sell something for lower price.
To them its not a human but another number & another dollar.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3879 posts
1228 upvotes
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 6:10 pm
I did not mind that I had to waste my time and gas to drive to the store.
It does not seem much when others suffer.
But wait till you find out one day that the food you bought for your own kid is 3 months past expiry.
Humans laugh at others until something bad hits them.

When stores offer customers discount/vouchers/coupons/credit for resolution of mistakes then the sole purpose is to show they care and not that customer needs money.
Its shows the seriousness and policy of the supermarkets in general with regards to the expiry date policy.
If its 3 to 7 days to expiry then its my fault as I should have checked that. I notice that happens a lot when they sell something for lower price.
To them its not a human but another number & another dollar.
Either way it’s your fault for wasting your own time for not checking in the first place. The date is printed on there for a reason

Your sob story about about what you feed your kids, and creating this whining thread further proves my point
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Oct 10, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 6:53 pm
Either way it’s your fault for wasting your own time for not checking in the first place. The date is printed on there for a reason

Your sob story about about what you feed your kids, and creating this whining thread further proves my point
If this is whining for you then you dont know what parents will do to protect their kids.
Either you dont have kids or dont care for your kids if thats ok for you. Regardless its none of my business.

I know its my fault.
Next time I will buy my grocery from Kijiji. You happy now.
Last edited by MyNameIsJeff on Oct 13th, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3879 posts
1228 upvotes
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 7:09 pm
If this is whining for you then you dont know what parents will do to protect their kids.
Either you dont have kids or dont care for your kids if thats ok for you. Regardless its none of my business.

I know its my fault.
Next time I will buy my grocery from Kijiji. You happy now.
It certainly became whining when you were expecting to get something other than a refund or exchange out of it.

I care enough like any sane person to check the dates before I buy something.
Even if I didn’t I wouldn’t be whining and blaming everyone and anyone but myself and acting like the store put my children in grave danger. You yourself dropped the ball on this one, and expected the store to give you expired bubble wrap for your kids as well. I guess your helicopter parent senses were on the fritz when you tried to feed your kid curdled milk
[OP]
Oct 10, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 7:20 pm
I care enough like any sane person to check the dates before I buy something.
Even if I didn’t I wouldn’t be whining and blaming everyone and anyone but myself and acting like the store put my children in grave danger. You yourself dropped the ball on this one, and expected the store to tug your balls for you as well
Forget about selling near expiry products to customers.
In EU the supermarkets are not allowed to throw the within 1 day expiry products in the bin because the homeless people may eat it and fall ill.
Matter of fact supermarkets faced lawsuits which is why they stopped throwing away near expiry products in the bins.

I know comparing laws of EU to Canada is like comparing BMW to hyundai but when a product is 3 months past expiry then clearly the store is at fault.

I was expecting to get something other than a refund or exchange out of it because it would have showed that the store was serious about this issue & not that I needed money.

But I agree with you 100% that its my fault because I should have checked the expiry date.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3879 posts
1228 upvotes
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 7:29 pm
Forget about selling near expiry products to customers.
In EU the supermarkets are not allowed to throw the within 1 day expiry products in the bin because the homeless people may eat it and fall ill.
Matter of fact supermarkets faced lawsuits which is why they stopped throwing away near expiry products in the bins.

I know comparing laws of EU to Canada is like comparing BMW to hyundai but when a product is 3 months past expiry then clearly the store is at fault.

I was expecting to get something other than a refund or exchange out of it because it would have showed that the store was serious about this issue & not that I needed money.

But I agree with you 100% that its my fault because I should have checked the expiry date.
“Issue”???
When you went back to the store did you go check and see if there were more expired products?? If you did, chances are you would have already mentioned it.
Shows how much you actually care. You just expected to get something out of it. Typical.
You can get off your moral high horse now
[OP]
Oct 10, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 8:04 pm
“Issue”???
When you went back to the store did you go check and see if there were more expired products?? If you did, chances are you would have already mentioned it.
Shows how much you actually care. You just expected to get something out of it. Typical.
You can get off your moral high horse now
Matter of fact the employee asked me to check the aisle of same product with better expiry dates.
I went to the same aisle and found that all the products in the row had same expiry dates and the ones in the back were worse as they had been 5 months past expiry.
Finally the employee asked if she can check in the stockroom but she found none.

Typical !
Moral Horse !
You are funny.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3879 posts
1228 upvotes
MyNameIsJeff wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 8:16 pm
Matter of fact the employee asked me to check the aisle of same product with better expiry dates.
I went to the same aisle and found that all the products in the row had same expiry dates and the ones in the back were worse as they had been 5 months past expiry.
Finally the employee asked if she can check in the stockroom but she found none.

Typical !
Moral Horse !
You are funny.
Somehow, I don’t believe you.
Anything else you wish to add, or are you out of ideas?
[OP]
Oct 10, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 8:17 pm
Somehow, I don’t believe you.
Anything else you wish to add, or are you out of ideas?
Yes surely. Not ideas but fact.
''A homeless person in EU has access to better and safe food in EU than a customer in Canada''