Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2264 posts
27 upvotes

Expiry date on bags of chips

I just noticed a bag of chips I had in the cupboard that wasn't opened had a date stamp on the bag of march. Is it safe to eat chips after the date if it hasn't been opened? Even though sealed does it lose its flavour?
27 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15915 posts
1273 upvotes
GTA West
You might not get the 'optimal' flavour and freshness but it is definitely safe to eat.

Heck, I have cooked eggs that were 6 months past the expiry date and there was no problem.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5464 posts
178 upvotes
BC
they will be fine. i often have chips around for a long time without opening... i've had some that have gone past the expiration date and i cant even tell in eating them.

if it is way past the date, then the chips might taste stale, still they wont hurt you.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6937 posts
343 upvotes
BlazinTrini wrote:
Apr 14th, 2007 12:01 am
I just noticed a bag of chips I had in the cupboard that wasn't opened had a date stamp on the bag of march. Is it safe to eat chips after the date if it hasn't been opened? Even though sealed does it lose its flavour?
Some of the flavor and freshness will be noticeable. Still good to eat.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1781 posts
15 upvotes
Dtwn G.T.A.
Basically nothing used to have expiry dates. Now everything has an expiry date, and its pretty much, after this date, it may be of a lower quality, and if you die from eating it, its not our fault.(Well, maybe its still technically their fault)

Most of the time, Expiry dates are really only "Best Before Date".
Obviously the bag of chips isn't going to be perfectly fine on April 13 and all of a sudden on April 15(After the expiry date) it is totally rotten and unedible.
Username Change: just_for_ipod is now Andrew4Life
Deal Expert
Oct 10, 2006
22204 posts
121 upvotes
Victoria
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Apr 14th, 2007 12:12 am
You might not get the 'optimal' flavour and freshness but it is definitely safe to eat.

Heck, I have cooked eggs that were 6 months past the expiry date and there was no problem.
I agree with dried/processed food, but I'd be concerned about eating eggs that are so far past the exp date
Nov 5, 2005
332 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
WoW eating eggs that past the expiry date....dangerous i tell you.
Dec 13, 2004
898 posts
29 upvotes
i suggest you to eat it. Its fine

might taste a little stale, but that can be fixed with a toaster oven!
- Instant noodle is the way for a healthy balanced diet
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2006
2211 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Jucius Maximus wrote:
lmao, i dont think that's safe. eggs are especially stubborn for going bad, i heard that egg protein is very pure, so its easy for the germs to manifest in there.
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:

Your eating tons of bacteria that is not good for you.. be carefull.
Banned
Feb 11, 2005
1828 posts
34 upvotes
VanCity
I noticed at RCSS that they have chips passed there best before date quite often. Also, if you look under the Lays Bacon flavoured, you can occasionally see mouse droppings...morning staff didn't do a good enough job of clearing out the mouse shite.
Aug 17, 2006
275 posts
Last weekend i ate a full bag of Humpty Dumpty chips that were best before ' May 05' and to top it up we were offered them at work!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
If you look at most of the AP crackers, cookies and granola bars- they have no expiry dates on them.

Also none of the General Mills cereal like quaker oatmeal has an expiry dates on the box, so you would never really know how "old" they were anyways.

AP does have a expiry date on their chips though, and some pretzels.

But if you buy a lot of AP brand crackers or even quite a few of the presidents choice ones, they have no dates on them, like the choc chip cookies, box crackers and many other items....

So, it is kind of hard to tell for a lot of items how "old" they really are.

I kind of guess that as long as the chips are not more than 3 or 4 months past expiry date they could be ok.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9380 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
Those are not really expiry dates, they are Best Before dates meaning that they guarantee optimal taste/texture and freshness to that date... it doesn't mean that it goes bad after that date. Put a little squeezing pressure on the bag.. if it's still full of air then I'd say that it's still edible.
× < >