Fitness and Nutrition

Express Fitness in Scarborough

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2019 12:04 am
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
3 posts

Express Fitness in Scarborough

Does anyone have any insight on Express Fitness Scarborough?
Im new to the area and was searching gym's in my area stumbled upon this forum in regards to one of the other locations in Thornhill.

I went in on a free pass earlier this week. The place seemed nice, but I was hearing a lot of talk when I spoke to some of the patrons there. I've been in a situation before where I paid $400 for a year and the gym closed down 4 months later. A member was telling me he had just cancelled his membership and still had access until March 31st because he heard the owners did not pay their staff for 2 months and the staff all quit. And now the owners have one of their managers from their other location and their son running the show.

The facility looked awesome, super quite, good equipment, but very hesitant on spending my money if the place is not going to up for very long.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23006 posts
8020 upvotes
Toronto
you can pay month-to-month, thus no need to pay for the entire year. I am a member (since summer 2018) but go to Thornhill and the odd time Woodbridge facility.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
3 posts
I decided to go down the street to GoodLife at Kennedy and Lawrence and go on a multipass.

I stopped by Express Fitness yesterday at the Scarborough location in the evening because of the free 7 day pass they gave me. The functional studio they have is amazing. But I couldn’t justify giving Express my money. One of the members was telling me it’s been getting less and less busy as more people are cancelling. I couldn’t see how such a big facility was covering itself with such low traffic. Last thing I wanted was to leave my credit card on file and see unexplained charges.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23006 posts
8020 upvotes
Toronto
lots of gyms in the Scarborough area.

I don't give my cc to them to have on file. When it's time to pay, I just pay by cc
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23006 posts
8020 upvotes
Toronto
update: spoke to a staff member at the Thornhill location this morning.

The real story was the manager (who got fired back in early January) there had committed a crime by selling bogus memberships to customers (for cash or requesting customers to wire $ to a fake express fitness account), that manager may have colluded with other staff there for this scam. The owner eventually caught on to this scam as customers were complaining about their invalid memberships (after being active for a month or two) and thus fired the manager and a few other staff, however, the owner decided not to call the police and simply refused to pay those staff who were involved.

It would seem those fired staff decided to tell/write up a bogus reviews in the internet and hopefully, to revenge their firing.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
3 posts
Update:

As a citizen in the area (and in my line of work) I actually took it upon myself with the help of some of my resources to dig into this and speaking to the right people. I always believing doing the right thing and helping others out. Not a big fan of he said she said. Rather I like the actual facts.

Turns out the actual truth is the old manager and staff never were fired. They in fact did quit due to not being paid and constant harassment from the owners. The memberships they sold were not bogus, rather they were sold at a lower rate to drive in more traffic because the club was not doing well financially.

There’s always two sides to a story but I also found an article online about a previous facility the same owners of Express Fitness had that was shut down for not paying staff or rent. The owners will never tell if staff quit due to lack of pay.

In my opinion, I’m glad I avoided signing up. It’s hard to say the staff did wrong when the owner’s son stole cash from the cash til at the Scarborough location to which I’ve seen video footage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)