• Apr 20th, 2015 1:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes

Express line item limit

I was at the supermarket today and in the express line waiting in line to cash out. The line has an 8 item limit and a woman in front of me had a basket filled with 20 plus items that bud in front of me at the last second.

Would you have said anything to her?

What would you say or do in this situation?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21127 posts
9784 upvotes
Toronto
Was the lineup big? If not, I wouldn't bother saying anything. If the lineup was huge, I would say excuse me, "I was in line first". If she said anything back, I would counter with the express line is for 8 items and below.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1450 posts
210 upvotes
Sure, I always do if they are way over the limit. How did they bud in front, did they just push you aside?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
5 people in line in front of me. 10 behind me. She cut in front as I was turning and putting my shopping cart into position.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5549 posts
2219 upvotes
gg Troll thread op.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21684 posts
8957 upvotes
Toronto
If the person ahead of me is in line properly and did not cut in, I allow 9 items. It happens. Sometimes a person honestly thought they had 8 items,
but they know damn well when they have 10 or more items where to be...
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
8 items is only a suggestion
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8543 posts
5560 upvotes
Trudostan
OP, RFD has spoken. Clearly you should have demonstrated you are alpha by telling her how wrong she was, punching her, keying her car, and then burning her house down to make sure she knows how serious her social crime was. </sarcasm>

The cashier should have enforced the policy. When I go shopping I'm not there to enforce social norms or store policies that don't impact me financially, I'd have just moved to another line or kept waiting. Last I checked shopping was not a race and if you are in that much of a rush you should plan ahead to give yourself some time. Take er' easy, keep your cool and keep on keepin' on.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
20 pieces is too much, if it say 8 I'd give em 12-13, only takes a couple of seconds extra. The onlt time I'd comment was if they decided to try and start price matching, didn't have the funds(trying to decide what to put back).
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: OP, RFD has spoken. Clearly you should have demonstrated you are alpha by telling her how wrong she was, punching her, keying her car, and then burning her house down to make sure she knows how serious her social crime was. </sarcasm>

The cashier should have enforced the policy. When I go shopping I'm not there to enforce social norms or store policies that don't impact me financially, I'd have just moved to another line or kept waiting. Last I checked shopping was not a race and if you are in that much of a rush you should plan ahead to give yourself some time. Take er' easy, keep your cool and keep on keepin' on.
That's what I was wondering at the time too. I was waiting to see how the cashier would have responded but the opportunity never materialized as she bailed last minute and left. I'm guessing the growing lineup of 15+people behind me gave her the stink eye.

googoo wrote: 20 pieces is too much, if it say 8 I'd give em 12-13, only takes a couple of seconds extra. The onlt time I'd comment was if they decided to try and start price matching, didn't have the funds(trying to decide what to put back).
20 was just a rough guess but she had a few other things that were hidden so there could very well have been almost 30 items in her basket.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I was kicked out for over 4 be cashier I just told her to take out 4 items. No way I'm reclining because you can't bother to scan 4 more items. What a you know what.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4765 posts
1311 upvotes
Richmond
was that sarcasm or what?.if it was the what, good on the cashier
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7061 posts
5167 upvotes
I used to have sweet dreams at night. But now I know that man is truly alone in life and at rest.

I remember Foody Mart having a line that was 3 or less.

I had 4 items and they didn't let me pay for 4.

I then said "OK, I will do 2 transactions."

No one was even remotely close to coming to the cashier and they still said: "NO."

I like to think that they felt a sense of satisfaction at such an abuse of their power.

I did what I did, full well knowing that I was over and they decided to put me in my place.

The fear instilled upon me made me realize that I never wanted to be in their situation.

They had such a pale look in their eyes. Sure I was inconvenienced but they... they had a sense of envy and rage that was palatable.

Hastily, I pulled out a Hundred Dollar bill to pay for my goods and to get out.

The cashier gazed into my direction and I could see the hatred and contempt within them.

The money was enough to pay for a years worth of food in some places and here I was acting like it didn't matter if they gave me the change.

A nice lady came by at the moment and I swear the tension could cut a diamond before she muttered something to the cashier.

The cashier was so far gone that the other lady had to literally step in front of me and snap her fingers in front of her face before the cashier acknowledged her.

It was too late for me. I had gazed into the Heart of Darkness.

My soul was decimated.

I was truly a naive person before the occurrence, but now I know that there exists such a dark place.

I will never fully understand her feelings to me, but I can only imagine the Horrors that she has endured.

The horror ... the horror ... the horror.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
bluebellrose wrote: was that sarcasm or what?.if it was the what, good on the cashier
I don't do sarcasm. If I was like OP's lady where I"m 10 over, I can totally see that. The line was not even busy; I had 12 or 13 and the list was either 8 or 9 or 10... whatever, she held up the line arguing with me about being over when I apologized to not knowing I was over the limit but she wouldn't give me a warning and scan my stuff so I told her, fine take 4 items out so I am at the limit because I'm not going to line up behind some person with a buggy full of grocery with god knows how many items. Is that even reasonable to you? So I have 14 items and you expect me to line up behind people who are shopping for a family of 4 or 5? Get real. I bet if I raised my voice loud enough and complained to the store manager, I would have been allowed to go through.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
Supercooled wrote: I don't do sarcasm. If I was like OP's lady where I"m 10 over, I can totally see that. The line was not even busy; I had 12 or 13 and the list was either 8 or 9 or 10... whatever, she held up the line arguing with me about being over when I apologized to not knowing I was over the limit but she wouldn't give me a warning and scan my stuff so I told her, fine take 4 items out so I am at the limit because I'm not going to line up behind some person with a buggy full of grocery with god knows how many items. Is that even reasonable to you? So I have 14 items and you expect me to line up behind people who are shopping for a family of 4 or 5? Get real. I bet if I raised my voice loud enough and complained to the store manager, I would have been allowed to go through.
you would complain about store policy? or a cashier enforcing what their management has told them to do?..what world revolves around you?...i have experienced this many times...just try it in front of me...you will wish the store manager saves you from me...rules are rules and any staff that enforces the rules is to be admired...if the staff worked for you, wouldn't you expect them to enforce your rules? not some douche that trys to tell them that they dont wish to abide by them?
sucks waiting in line behind someone that has a full cart is a pain ..BUT..its your choice..not you right!..if your in a rush..only buy 10 items..go back for the rest later!
Stop being a DOUCHE as if you ever are like that and I am in line...you will regret it.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15690 posts
11077 upvotes
What if 18 of the 20 items were the same thing?

That used the count as 3 items many years ago when I worked at A&P. Probably not the case any more though.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3836 upvotes
Nowhere
Gutty96 wrote: What if 18 of the 20 items were the same thing?

That used the count as 3 items many years ago when I worked at A&P. Probably not the case any more though.
It is not 3 items, it is 20. The cashier still has to handle them.

How hard is it to say to someone that they are in the wrong line, that it is the express desk. Frescho in my neighbourhood has the Express desk in the middle of the registers. People mistakenly get in that line all the time. I don't know how many people I have told that they were in the express line there. They have all apologized and moved. Mind you, they were mistaken unlike the idiots who think they are entitled to use the express line when they have too many items.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)