None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1504 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto

extended warranty and issues with 2012 Q7

Hi I just purchased a 2012 Q7 sport with 122 000 km. I pick it up this Friday but have the option to add an aftermarket warranty. Cost would be $3500 and covers everything but wear and tear and electical for 3 years/60 000km. If you don't make a claim in the first 3 years you have the option of rolling over another 3 years at an extra $150. Do you guys think it's worth it? What are the major issues known to the 2012 Q7 with the V6T engine?
Any input would be appreciated.
I would also appreciate thoughts on whether the Q7 needs snow tires for here in Toronto.
Thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2361 posts
382 upvotes
Thunder Bay
jindogae wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 8:33 am
Hi I just purchased a 2012 Q7 sport with 122 000 km. I pick it up this Friday but have the option to add an aftermarket warranty. Cost would be $3500 and covers everything but wear and tear and electical for 3 years/60 000km. If you don't make a claim in the first 3 years you have the option of rolling over another 3 years at an extra $150. Do you guys think it's worth it? What are the major issues known to the 2012 Q7 with the V6T engine?
Any input would be appreciated.
I would also appreciate thoughts on whether the Q7 needs snow tires for here in Toronto.
Thanks
Even though you don't get too much snow in Toronto, ask yourself this. Are you a Toronto Driver? Do you drive with Toronto Drivers? If the answer to either of those is yes, then you need snow tires.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33761 posts
7720 upvotes
Ottawa
You can get a lot of things fixed for $3500.
If it dies not include electrical, it is a waste of money. Today's cars are so "electronic", that is what is more apt to cause problems.
Lastly, aftermarket warranty's are only as good as the service manager that has to fight for you...and even then, it may not be enough. The thing to know is that they do not want to pay out and it is up to you to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that the part is covered.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25062 posts
9946 upvotes
Toronto
that's a lot of mileage on a 3-4 yrs old car. Pretty sure lots of things are just waiting to crap out, suspension component, tires, brakes (if they have not been replaced yet).

If your car comes with air suspension, you should really get the extended warranty. If it needs to be replaced, you are looking at easily thousands $
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11799 posts
5317 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 9:03 am
You can get a lot of things fixed for $3500.
If it dies not include electrical, it is a waste of money. Today's cars are so "electronic", that is what is more apt to cause problems.
Lastly, aftermarket warranty's are only as good as the service manager that has to fight for you...and even then, it may not be enough. The thing to know is that they do not want to pay out and it is up to you to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that the part is covered.
this
booblehead wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 9:12 am
that's a lot of mileage on a 3-4 yrs old car. Pretty sure lots of things are just waiting to crap out, suspension component, tires, brakes (if they have not been replaced yet).

If your car comes with air suspension, you should really get the extended warranty. If it needs to be replaced, you are looking at easily thousands $
It wouldn't be covered anyway since it's wear and tear.

Skip the warranty
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25062 posts
9946 upvotes
Toronto
btw, you should also have your intake valves cleaned as well (from carbon build up)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3529 posts
2785 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the warranty for all of the reasons already mentioned by others.

If you're concerned about specific potential issues then you should join and post over in either (or both) AudiWorld + AudiZine. They both have fairly decent traffic in their Q7 sub-forums. Otherwise, it just isn't a common enough model to really ask about here.
Jun 5, 2011
846 posts
167 upvotes
LONDON
suspension components usually are not covered by extended warranties.

i would get it inspected by audi (ask them to do the same inspection they do for a CPO car) and get a list of what they found. it very well may be a really good car but the mileage is high so it didnt qualify for CPO.

i would bank the 3500 and keep putting 200 into the account every month for repairs till you have $6,000 saved and only hit up that account for unexpected repairs (not maintenance items like brakes or tires). All dealerships just replace parts now, they dont repair anything. So if something goes, expect them to keep replacing parts till they fix it. Which means you will be paying for a bunch of brand new parts being sold at MSRP. Not sure if independent shops can even diagnose let alone repair these newer "computers on wheels".
Apr 21, 2004
819 posts
50 upvotes
Pickering
I would say that the expensive repairs started happening around year 7.

It's pretty consistent we have to spend about $3k a year for the past 2 years on maintenance where as before it was about $1k a year avg.

Stuff would break that's pretty expensive are the rear latch for the power trunk ($400 for the part alone), rear wiper arm stripped ($400). The MMI screen died on us last month, that was $1700. We did brakes last year, fluid flushes, control arms, alignment. We are probably doing a carbon cleaning soon, and a tune up as we are consistently getting cylinder misfires at 170k kms. In hindsight, we probably should have traded it in 2 years ago and put the money into a newer car because we have some little issues that we are not even bothering to fix but because we spent a few $k already, we just want to keep it for another 3 years and at least finish our house to see how our finances are.

The parts are really expensive now with our weak dollar, so the dealership price is not that far off for original parts from the US.

I no regrets about getting it though, since it drives awesome for something so big (we have adaptive air suspension).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1504 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Regin8r wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 5:18 pm
I would say that the expensive repairs started happening around year 7.

It's pretty consistent we have to spend about $3k a year for the past 2 years on maintenance where as before it was about $1k a year avg.

Stuff would break that's pretty expensive are the rear latch for the power trunk ($400 for the part alone), rear wiper arm stripped ($400). The MMI screen died on us last month, that was $1700. We did brakes last year, fluid flushes, control arms, alignment. We are probably doing a carbon cleaning soon, and a tune up as we are consistently getting cylinder misfires at 170k kms. In hindsight, we probably should have traded it in 2 years ago and put the money into a newer car because we have some little issues that we are not even bothering to fix but because we spent a few $k already, we just want to keep it for another 3 years and at least finish our house to see how our finances are.

The parts are really expensive now with our weak dollar, so the dealership price is not that far off for original parts from the US.

I no regrets about getting it though, since it drives awesome for something so big (we have adaptive air suspension).
Thanks for the reply. Although your list of repairs are quite extensive I do not think that an extended warranty would cover any of the items you did. Do you mind me asking the year and how many km you have on it? I've also been reading that these Q7's just eat tires, most not lasting more than 35k km. Is this your experience too?
Apr 21, 2004
819 posts
50 upvotes
Pickering
Ours is a 2007 4.2, so it's the first kick at the can for Audi. We bought it in 2009 with 45k kms, we now have 170k kms.

At the time, I was very fond of that bullet train look. We were aware of the reputation of post warranty German makes with respect to costs going in, but we do have friends that are shocked with repair bills and say it's the last time they are going German so we usually warn people that their reputation is earned.

Besides that, it's a great suv and it still looks good today compared to other 07 suvs we looked at.
Apr 21, 2004
819 posts
50 upvotes
Pickering
Regarding tires, that's about right 35k kms. We have winters on Audi rims also and we've changed both sets twice. Brakes are about also pretty frequent 50-60k kms, but honestly we drive it pretty hard which is why our fuel consumption avg is about 18L/100 kms.