• Jun 17th, 2018 11:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1762 posts
279 upvotes
Brampton

Extent of new employer salary Match

I have applied to some places where the employer is willing to match my current salary as long as it falls within the pay band of the role I am applying to (it’s government).

My current role has regular overtime so I am wondering if this salary match guarantee includes things like overtime or whether it would just be my regular salary. Does anyone know? Maybe anyone who has done it before as well?

There are some salary matching threads here but it didn’t really cover this.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6180 posts
3352 upvotes
Edmonton
No offense, but something like that is defined by the new employer. There's no definition in the dictionary for "salary matching".

For me personally, I'd go with "annual income, as defined by my T4". So that would include overtime and all taxable benefits. You want to maximize any career moves you make, in any case. And you can back it up if the new employer says "Whoa, baby! Show us some proof!"

C
Aug 31, 2006
204 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
For the provincial government, you don't often get salary matching unless you are already an internal employee.
Overtime is commonly same based on union agreement.

Government rarely require employee to work overtime in most position. In special occasion, I believe they will rather let you bank the hours for absence instead.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1762 posts
279 upvotes
Brampton
Devo wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:39 pm
For the provincial government, you don't often get salary matching unless you are already an internal employee.
Overtime is commonly same based on union agreement.

Government rarely require employee to work overtime in most position. In special occasion, I believe they will rather let you bank the hours for absence instead.
True, it depends on the area I assume. I know is quite common in federal agencies like Cra, Service Canada etc. The Ontario sunshine list is always full of stories of regular employees who made a ton of money due to working overtime whenever they release the annual list so it depends.
Jan 10, 2017
228 posts
103 upvotes
Why would anyone move for a salary match?

Move up or move out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1762 posts
279 upvotes
Brampton
Sociology1 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:50 pm
Why would anyone move for a salary match?

Move up or move out.
There is a lot more upside in the places I am considering so I am willing to go if I can at least keep my current salary, some of the other roles will be straight up salary increase without the employer having to do anything.
Jan 10, 2017
228 posts
103 upvotes
badmus wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 5:52 am
There is a lot more upside in the places I am considering so I am willing to go if I can at least keep my current salary, some of the other roles will be straight up salary increase without the employer having to do anything.
That's besides the point; everything is indexed and your almost always able to negotiate a bigger income with a different company.

So, why take the same salary; I'd say that's a minimum, but to strive for a salary matching program seems short-sighted; even if you're at the top-end of your bracket.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)