Home & Garden

Exterior sheathing? Tar Paper? Siding? How to fix?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2011 2:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Exterior sheathing? Tar Paper? Siding? How to fix?

How do I go about repairing this, before putting on batt insulation and vapor barrier?

Do I slide tar paper between the brick and studs? What's the difference between exterior sheathing and tar paper? Do I just tape over the section? Do I need wood panels (like plywood) to reinforce?

At the end of the day, I just want to fix it up as best I can, then put the insulation and barrier back on. Also make sure that once I put the tar paper etc back on it'll be as waterproof as possible...
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7519 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Im not to sure myself but you may want to provide more info as to why you opened it in the first place? Also is this in the basement or main floor etc?

if its water damage there may be some steps you want to take before closing it up again. also depending on the area you may even consider installing sound proof insulation if its a bed room or something along those lines.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is an exterior wall on the second floor (above is attic). Initially opened up a 12" opening to drill a hole through the top plate to run my wires (you can find my other threads referring to my project). The hole revealed an old mouse nest + an active wasps nest. Opened up the wall further to get rid of them.

Not really interested in sound proofing it.

Thx.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7162 posts
673 upvotes
Im trying to figure out why the tar paper is on the wrong side of the sheating.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6211 posts
79 upvotes
Is it really tar paper or is it black joe?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1442 posts
104 upvotes
mart242 wrote:
May 30th, 2011 12:49 pm
Is it really tar paper or is it black joe?
Yeah, looks like it could be asphalt-impregnated fibreboard. In which case it will be difficult to repair, since that IS the sheathing (are those bricks at the top?)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6211 posts
79 upvotes
if it's indeed the sheathing, I'd be tempted to fix it this way: buy a tank of tiger foam and sprayfoam it..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The layering goes like this (from interior->exterior):

- drywall
- vapor barrier
- insulation
- some kind of particle board (feels like wet cardboard, pulled away very easily)
- some kind of paper (tar paper? looks and feels kind of like rubberish, sort of bubbling right now)
- brick

Sorry for the inaccurate descriptions...

Sprayfoam seems overkill? I did have it as a fleeting thought...
× < >