• Oct 16th, 2008 10:51 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes

Extermely cheap 4'x8' drywall.

To good to be true?

I'm finishing off my basement and need a lot of dryway. [rfdlink=87]Home Depot[/rfdlink] sells it for about $15/sheet + taxes. My Dad was just in the states and said they're selling it down there for a little over $5/sheet. Since I have a pickup and live close to the boarder is there any reason why I wouldn't/couldn't buy down there and bring back up? I'm thinking even if I pay GST at the boarder it's still going to be saying close to $10/sheet. This could work out to several hundred dollars in savings that I can use elsewhere (sound proofing the TV room for example).

P.S. Hope I posted this in the right place.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
If that is the case...y not? it's a hot deal!

However, I went there on September 1st...and I looked at their drywall...the cheapest regular 1/2" drywall is already 8.xx almost $9...while we have those over here for $11.97...so I am not sure which one you are talking about...

What kind of drywall are you comparing? there are so many different types...

Edit: I just did a search on homedepot.com...you were right! you can get them for as low as $4.75/sheet! WOW!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15245 posts
532 upvotes
Niagara Falls
My mom got underpadding for nearly $25 less a roll in the U.S. It was for the basement so she wasn't too concerned with the quality but it appeared to be every bit as decent as the stuff Home Depot in Canada sold.

I certainly think it's worth it if it's not too far out of the way for you. Also assuming it's made in North America.
HEATWARE (21 - 0) - evilbaby
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We've done it and will continue to do it. It's to the point that we won't buy anything for the house without checking prices at HD in the US. Our next thing we are going to buy over there is a new patio door which will result in roughly $1000 savings. ;) We've already saved thousands by buying there, my range and OTR micro resulted in over $1500 in savings.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes
virgoan wrote:
Oct 7th, 2008 3:02 pm
If that is the case...y not? it's a hot deal!

However, I went there on September 1st...and I looked at their drywall...the cheapest regular 1/2" drywall is already 8.xx almost $9...while we have those over here for $11.97...so I am not sure which one you are talking about...

What kind of drywall are you comparing? there are so many different types...

Edit: I just did a search on homedepot.com...you were right! you can get them for as low as $4.75/sheet! WOW!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1
Wow is right. I haven't seen it that cheap. What state are you looking at??? It seems different states have different prices. I'm seeing it on HD's website for $5.85/sheet.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4036 posts
598 upvotes
Kitchener
pretty good price. the most my 1/2 ton would carry is 30 sheets of 4 x 8... looks like I have another reason to buy a new 1 ton pickup
Cement board is almost 1/2 the price also

someone should post this in hot deals
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7554 posts
149 upvotes
i wonder if it would be worth it to rent a U-Haul and get a nice "shipment" at once?? LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
irish80ca wrote:
Oct 7th, 2008 3:31 pm
Wow is right. I haven't seen it that cheap. What state are you looking at??? It seems different states have different prices. I'm seeing it on HD's website for $5.85/sheet.
lol...i am not sure..i just randomly entered 5 digits...
Sep 11, 2008
35 posts
Montreal
I was at the Massena Home Depot and 4x8 was around $6.50, the best deals though would be the 4x10, 4x12, which are still cheaper than our 4x8's here.

I also saw mold resistant drywall 4x8 for $8.50.
Dec 10, 2007
324 posts
12 upvotes
The price discrepancies between HD US and HD Canada pricing is enough to make one fall into a depression.

Case and point, Ryobi 9" Band Saw ... $139 in Canada, $99 in the USA.

:(
May 5, 2007
164 posts
Toronto
irish80ca wrote:
Oct 7th, 2008 2:48 pm
To good to be true?

I'm finishing off my basement and need a lot of dryway. Home Depot sells it for about $15/sheet + taxes. My Dad was just in the states and said they're selling it down there for a little over $5/sheet. Since I have a pickup and live close to the boarder is there any reason why I wouldn't/couldn't buy down there and bring back up? I'm thinking even if I pay GST at the boarder it's still going to be saying close to $10/sheet. This could work out to several hundred dollars in savings that I can use elsewhere (sound proofing the TV room for example).

P.S. Hope I posted this in the right place.
There's this place in Burlington Ontario I have to google it, that sold me drywall for $10/sheet delivered. I can't find the name I have to check my receipts when I get home.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7554 posts
149 upvotes
kixx9o5 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 12:34 pm
There's this place in Burlington Ontario I have to google it, that sold me drywall for $10/sheet delivered. I can't find the name I have to check my receipts when I get home.
if you can pm me that would be great!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
kixx9o5 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 12:34 pm
If you can PM me the info too...that would be great! the pricing is one thing...delivering is a big factor for me since we only have sedans...
× < >