Entertainment

Extinction (Netflix Michael Pena alien invasion movie)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2018 4:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9770 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto

Extinction (Netflix Michael Pena alien invasion movie)

Universal sold their SF film to Netflix akin to Paramount dealing The Cloverfield Paradox to Netflix

15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1854 posts
323 upvotes
Let's hope it wasn't sold because it's a bad movie, like how Cloverfield Paradox was.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6051 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Nobody director/writers doesn't give much hope - Arrival screenwriter doesn't really count - hope it works out as the concept sounds interesting.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2437 posts
916 upvotes
Kinda boring. Slow moving. The idea was good though.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15229 posts
3157 upvotes
Toronto
Very boring and poorly executed.
Mar 15, 2004
211 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I thought it was entertaining. The "twist" was guess-able if you have seen enough of these types of movies.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9770 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
The io9 review had an insightful quote

"I totally understood why everyone involved would want to make this movie—and also, why no one should have."

I can't hate on it but I can't argue with people disappointed or even angry

When the invasion happens it's Skyline but that frustration gave way for me after the big reveal

They were swinging for the fences but I'm not sure anyone, especially not M. Night, could really pull it off

Might've worked as a half hour Twilight Zone

You're wrong Luke Cage, it's OVER!
Aug 16, 2017
693 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I thought it was OK, not a waste of time, way better than Titan or Cloverfield Paradox in my opinion.
Aug 20, 2009
6610 posts
1268 upvotes
Grimsby
It was better than the Cloverfield Paradox but that's a pretty low bar. The dialogue was cringe inducing at times and about the only real eye opener in this was the reveal midway through. Boring action bits and dreadful CGI to round things out. At least it didn't overstay its welcome and had a mercifully short run time. The way Netflix is throwing money around you figure they could do better than this.
Aug 16, 2017
693 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 11:19 am
It was better than the Cloverfield Paradox but that's a pretty low bar. The dialogue was cringe inducing at times and about the only real eye opener in this was the reveal midway through. Boring action bits and dreadful CGI to round things out. At least it didn't overstay its welcome and had a mercifully short run time. The way Netflix is throwing money around you figure they could do better than this.
i could understand the horrible dialogue at times (because of the 'twist'.) what i really don't like about this film is the constant screaming/crying insufferable kids... and they had a LOT of screentime...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7070 posts
240 upvotes
It wasn't terrible but I liked Cloverfield Paradox more...
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15735 posts
12296 upvotes
Toronto
watched it a few nights back. would've felt like a sucker if I paid to see this at the cinema. much the same way I felt after a free screening of 'Life' last year
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)