• Jul 7th, 2011 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 23, 2009
268 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto

Extra Costs? Buying a Used Car At a Dealership

When you purchase a used vehicle at a dealership are their any additional costs they might try to charge the consumer? Or is the final price simply negoitated price + HST?

Many thanks,

Detox
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3673 posts
236 upvotes
there shouldn't be any extra charges, though i'm sure some add some kind of admin fee. what i would do is just concern myself about negotiating the total out the door price, don't get caught up in a game of haggling over "fees", it's the total out the door cost you should most concern yourself with.

when it comes to new cars, it's not unusual for some ppl to think they "got the dealer" by not paying freight/pdi, yet the discount they got off the car wasn't as much as others got. total out the door cost is what matters, not how they choose to itemize a bill
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2021 posts
174 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
HP_John wrote:
Jul 7th, 2011 1:23 am
there shouldn't be any extra charges, though i'm sure some add some kind of admin fee. what i would do is just concern myself about negotiating the total out the door price, don't get caught up in a game of haggling over "fees", it's the total out the door cost you should most concern yourself with.

when it comes to new cars, it's not unusual for some ppl to think they "got the dealer" by not paying freight/pdi, yet the discount they got off the car wasn't as much as others got. total out the door cost is what matters, not how they choose to itemize a bill

In ontario this is what you'll get.

This you can negotiate
+ Car price

These have set costs and you just accept them. Do your cost negotation on the car price instead
+ freight
+ ~$100 Air conditioner fee (mandatory in ontario.)
+ ~$30 Tire fee/tax (mandatory in ontario.)
+ $20 licence plates ($20 for new plates, this is not the dealer this is just Ontario license plates)
+ ~$75 registration (your Ontario licence plate sticker. I think it's $75/year. Expires on your birthday. They prorate the cost)

These are completely arbitrary/optional/extra and are all about the dealer trying to get more money. Often they just put these on the invoice and don't tell you they are optional. They'll say 'You need this'. They're just trying to convince you that you want it, not that it's mandatory or anything.

+ admin fee (just the dealer trying to get more money. They can remove it or set it's cost to whatever they want. you can also negotiate it however you want. Usually ~$200-$400)
+ Nitrogen in tires. Not really a scam itself since it probably is beneficial. but the dealer will probably charge you too much. Volkswagon charges $150 for all 4 tires.
+ Theft protection etching. Mazda wanted $499 for this. They say if you car is stolen and recovered you get a $4000 payout. Comes with a fancy pamphlet trying to explain how good it its. According to the internet this is just useless extra insurance. Not worth it.
+ Rust protection, 3M paint protection, Scotchguard upholstery protection. ~$500-$1500. Do your own research on it. According to RFD they're not actually bad things themselves, just that the dealer charges too much. Except the 'electronic box' rust protection which is not proven to work at all and is considered a scam.
+ extended warranty.
+ Any extras you buy of course
+ HST (don't we love tax?)

As someone else said, don't try to fight with how they itemize. Go into a dealer and ask for a full quote with all these fees listed. Then negotiate down from that number.

As another example to how dealers try to play with you. Sister talked to one mazda guy and got a quote that included his $199 admin fee. Later she talked to a different guy at the same dealership and was trying to get $1500 discount. He agreed and drew up a new quote that included a $499 admin fee. lolz
Aug 28, 2010
199 posts
14 upvotes
toronto
Detox99 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2011 11:56 pm
When you purchase a used vehicle at a dealership are their any additional costs they might try to charge the consumer? Or is the final price simply negoitated price + HST?

Many thanks,

Detox
If they advertise the car Safety and E-test included you should not pay extra costs, unless you asking for warranty, DVD, back up camera, new mats etc.
× < >