• Jun 15th, 2018 2:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7035 posts
311 upvotes
SK

Extreme weather - has it made you want to move

Seems we really cant escape it, but the weather that is either causing massive damage or worse, deaths. I dont know how people in Tornado Alley stay where they are.

Im talking these extreme winds, hail and the like. has it made you rethink where you love or how you live?

Been on my mind lately the last few years as winds tear through and basically destroy all that you own. This past weekend the area got hit with so far unconfirmed 160 kmhr winds, but confirmed 122 kmhr winds. Huge trailers just toppled over, grain bins crushed in spot.

For those people that "just love storms" do they even own anything, or do they just rent and then not worry about it.

Which brings me to the case of, have you ever thought of just selling your house, move to a place that you dont worry about roofs tearing off (ie: an apartment or condo)

I mean sure, it can happen to them to, but its not you responsible for any of that, the repairs, the insurance, or the damage. Have a car and have it in underground parking, so when extreme weather hits, you jsut watch, and then move on.

Just a thought, doubtful it will ever happen. But its just going to get worse and worse in Canada as we can see. Of course you escape one thing (wind) and move, then you have other worries in the new spot (floods or wild fires)

Cold weather and snow, while a pain, can at least be dealt with.
30 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15045 posts
1835 upvotes
Toronto
Extreme weather here only tends to affect the outer suburbs (tornadoes and such) or the downtown core (flooding) and I'm safe from that as I'm on top of an old lake shore in midtown Toronto.

The weather has affected me this year though, whereas it never did before. The last few months of 2016 and first few of 2017 was an extended period of grey, dark, cold depressing weather for months on end with very little sunshine. It wasn't like previous winters in the 90s (snowstorms) or in the 2000s (barely any snow at all). A lot more dark and depressing this year. That, plus work stress, really got to me and made me seriously think about moving somewhere sunnier.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7035 posts
311 upvotes
SK
Piro21 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:07 pm
Extreme weather here only tends to affect the outer suburbs (tornadoes and such) or the downtown core (flooding) and I'm safe from that as I'm on top of an old lake shore in midtown Toronto.

The weather has affected me this year though, whereas it never did before. The last few months of 2016 and first few of 2017 was an extended period of grey, dark, cold depressing weather for months on end with very little sunshine. It wasn't like previous winters in the 90s (snowstorms) or in the 2000s (barely any snow at all). A lot more dark and depressing this year. That, plus work stress, really got to me and made me seriously think about moving somewhere sunnier.
Well I live on the extreme suburbs, as in rural. But all of these extreme winds are now hitting cities to, and hard, I will admit we will never have to worry about overland flooding, unless the gods dump feet of water at one time, whcih means we are all screwed anyway.

Your affect in the winter, while bothered you, was something you could easily deal with. This weather you cant deal with, just sit back, watch everything get destroyed, and deal with the aftermath
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19669 posts
3345 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Once so far this year and the last one was a few winter ago. A few days of excitement is good for a change.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4359 posts
2332 upvotes
Every region the world over... Canada included has its issues

Folks live where they do for a variety of reasons... economic, family history, being surrounded by relatives etc

Definitely the reason why people live in places that I would NEVER CONSIDER ... such as Tornado Alley

(For the record... Canada has its own areas that can get tornadoes as well.. and those “pathways” and chances of it happening broadens with global warming. What used to be seen only in Southwestern Ontario has come east... Tornadoes were really a rare thing in Eastern Ontario when I was a kid... now they happen every summer)

Snow & Cold is a pain in the butt... many of our US Friends wonder WHY we’d ever choose to live here. But except for the occasional Ice Storm, one can easily live with our Winter weather it is just the day to day drudgery that gets to one. And it gets worse the older one gets.

Lots of easterners escape to Coastal BC as they retire... makes sense, the warmest place in Canada. But the rain would get to me far more than the snow... I NEED SUNSHINE

A lot of Americans do similar in their retirement migration to warmer climates of Arizona, California, Florida etc... again makes sense from a physical & mental health perspective.

But there are certainly trade offs... as much as I LOVE FLORIDA and the Southern US States, there is no way in heck I would want to live in the oppressive heat there in the Summertime, or go thru the threat of Tornadoes or Hurricanes... both of which happen often enough.

No my recipe is... Spring, Summer, Fall in the 4 Seasons of Eastern Ontario... then rent a place in the Southern Sunshine for the worst of Winter

I think that renting makes a lot of sense for housing as one ages... both here and away. You can take the equity out of your home, live in a CEMENT building with “a community” of like minded Seniors, and there are others to do the maintenance... just enjoy pursuing happiness everyday thru your 70s, 80s and beyond
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7035 posts
311 upvotes
SK
sandikosh wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:27 pm
Once so far this year and the last one was a few winter ago. A few days of excitement is good for a change.
I can create my own excitement. I dont need the excitement of increased insurance premiums, time and money lost, and property and items destroyed, and the risk of death
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38304 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto
Its not that bad... maybe if you live up north. But the people i met from up north lol at you and then go skating in jeans and a hoody in -20 temperatures. Lol

Forrest fires and once every 20 year type of floods...
People rebuild and move on.
Funny thing about “home” people have a hard time letting go.

Also that windstorm is a freak occurance. That dorsnt happen all the time....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7035 posts
311 upvotes
SK
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:47 pm
I have "lived" for a long time. :) In all parts of the country including the North.
There has been what some call "extreme" weather going on forever. Some years are good, some are bad. Seems cyclical. Every time there is a "record" storm,it only breaks the "record" from before. That could have been last year or 25 years ago. Same with fires, same with heatwaves and so on.
I lived in Edmonton when a tornado hit the city. Not the first or last one in Alberta but, hey, it hit. Barrie had one too, as did Gatineau. I lived in Newfoundland when it snowed in end of June....broke a record for snow that day :)
Ok, maybe I worded what I asked wrong.

While extreme weather comes and goes, what I meant to say, has it made you want to just move to a place where if something happens, its not anything of yours.

Like in your youth when you lived in an apartment and had a crappy car. Extreme weather came in, who care, you are in a big building where you take care of nothing anyway, Unless you have an earthquake.

I really doubt I would go to the extreme of selling all I own and moving to a condo, but really for condo people (the apartment style ones) if extreme weather comes in, what would they need to worry about?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29931 posts
5069 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:53 pm
Ok, maybe I worded what I asked wrong.

While extreme weather comes and goes, what I meant to say, has it made you want to just move to a place where if something happens, its not anything of yours.

Like in your youth when you lived in an apartment and had a crappy car. Extreme weather came in, who care, you are in a big building where you take care of nothing anyway, Unless you have an earthquake.

I really doubt I would go to the extreme of selling all I own and moving to a condo, but really for condo people (the apartment style ones) if extreme weather comes in, what would they need to worry about?
Condos get damaged too :)
And if your condo does not get damaged but some in your building, you may be affected...you may have to move out to fix the damage to others.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7035 posts
311 upvotes
SK
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:58 pm
Condos get damaged too :)
And if your condo does not get damaged but some in your building, you may be affected...you may have to move out to fix the damage to others.
Well thats true, I understand any building can get damaged. But say an extreme wind some and peels of the shingles, its not on you to repair. Or if you are renting an apartment
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38304 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:47 pm
I have "lived" for a long time. :) In all parts of the country including the North.
There has been what some call "extreme" weather going on forever. Some years are good, some are bad. Seems cyclical. Every time there is a "record" storm,it only breaks the "record" from before. That could have been last year or 25 years ago. Same with fires, same with heatwaves and so on.
I lived in Edmonton when a tornado hit the city. Not the first or last one in Alberta but, hey, it hit. Barrie had one too, as did Gatineau. I lived in Newfoundland when it snowed in end of June....broke a record for snow that day :)
Lets re-frame this.
IT seems like you've experienced quite a bit of extreme weather in the various locations where you lived. IT doesn't seem to bother you enough that you would seek out re-location to avoid it.
I do not experience any extreme weather events where I live. I cannot imagine any weather events that would cause me to move. I also don't think its very common in Canada to move due to extreme weather. However there are extreme ones like forrest fires. Tornado and hurricanes seem to be more common in the u.s.a.
Jan 12, 2005
449 posts
50 upvotes
The no sunshine really messed with me the last few years. Winters that won't end. I am seriously considering moving somewhere sunnier also. Looking into visas-level serious
Piro21 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:07 pm

Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2201 posts
391 upvotes
Winnipeg
I moved out of Toronto, the center of the Universe or at least the center of Canada in pursuit of little more life.and guess where I mived, To Winnipeg... Things are rough and tough over here but hopefully we will survive
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2708 posts
123 upvotes
Peterborough
A thread on extreme weather in Toronto makes me laugh. Really? Ppppbbt!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7035 posts
311 upvotes
SK
wiggy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:00 pm
A thread on extreme weather in Toronto makes me laugh. Really? Ppppbbt!
Im not from Toronto