Apr 8, 2007
314 posts
22 upvotes
What if u build ur house out of concrete? Should be cheaper than relocating
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4200 posts
553 upvotes
Is there a place where it’s 15-18c year round?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8540 posts
776 upvotes
I think Toronto is pretty safe. Rising oceans won't be a huge problem anytime soon, Tornados are a bit more north but that is probably one of the biggest threats. Earthquakes (eh). No volcanoes, no hurricanes. Snow storms maybe but they are just annoying and inconvenient.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7691 posts
396 upvotes
SK
wiggy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:04 pm
Where then?
Doesnt my location show? And why is it automatically Toronto that users are from?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2282 posts
448 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:09 am
Doesnt my location show? And why is it automatically Toronto that users are from?
Not on mobile.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1658 posts
544 upvotes
Alberta
wiggy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:04 pm
Where then?
If you click on Ops name says he/she is from Sask.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38691 posts
3302 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
speedyforme wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:48 am
I think Toronto is pretty safe. Rising oceans won't be a huge problem anytime soon, Tornados are a bit more north but that is probably one of the biggest threats. Earthquakes (eh). No volcanoes, no hurricanes. Snow storms maybe but they are just annoying and inconvenient.
Snow causes a large amount of property damage and impacts insurance prices and industry.
Also lost time on the road effects productivity in the work force.
We don’t think much of it because driving is so routine. But i thinks it does have quite a bit of environmental and safety impact!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8540 posts
776 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:37 pm
Snow causes a large amount of property damage and impacts insurance prices and industry.
Also lost time on the road effects productivity in the work force.
We don’t think much of it because driving is so routine. But i thinks it does have quite a bit of environmental and safety impact!
I agree but I am just thinking in terms of actual damage and danger. I would suspect it's rare to get deaths from snow storm.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38691 posts
3302 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
speedyforme wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:00 pm
I agree but I am just thinking in terms of actual damage and danger. I would suspect it's rare to get deaths from snow storm.
Don’t car accidents, slips and falls, exposure, happen all the time? I thought something like 70 homeless people died last winter.
I know its not what we typically think of when it comes to “extreme weather” like people being washed awy in a flood or getting crushed by earth quake debris. Ut the damage and safety impact is probably pretty significant and we don’t ever blink an eye because its “just a canadian snow storm...”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6631 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
bluetea wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:29 pm
What if u build ur house out of concrete? Should be cheaper than relocating
Friend of mine is custom building his home in North Carolina with ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms).
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1497 posts
566 upvotes
Kitchener
I love storms and I own my place, but I do have full insurance.

We had a really bad storm a few weeks ago in Kitchener, with confirmed winds of about 120KPH, which is really bad. Had it happened two weeks later, it would have been worse since the tree's would have been completely full of leaves. My house is older. The newer houses all lost shingles. Almost every single new house. (roughly 10,000 houses had shingle damage, and most of those were built within the past 5 years).

While I love storms, extreme weather is different. Not just from massive amounts of damage, the cost to society, but also the danger to life.

While it might be interesting to watch CNN whenever there is a massive hurricane or CBC during an ice storm, absolutely no sane person would ever what to be part of one.

I live on higher ground so flooding is virtually impossible -- however, if flooding got horrible close to me (and it could), our street has no exit, only one way in for perhaps 1,000 to 1,500 living in the area, Our street ends at a much lower ground (and literally the entrance is where flood management waterways are). Grounds that could be flood and could trap residents (like me) on the other side.

Been through a twister once. Up until that point, always dreamt of being a storm chaser. 1 twister and my pants were full and I never want to see one ever again. I'd have the same feeling for ice storms (only lost power for 6 hours from the last one, that was long enough). Hurricanes technically not a major issue here in southern Ontario, but damage (especially flooding) always an issue. Major snow storms, we haven't had one in decades, but always a chance for a big one (for whatever reason, Kitchener is in the 'highlands' which seems to negate large snow storms, generally 15CM and it's a snow day). Volcano's, that could be a world problem, with its affect on weather.