• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 4:45 pm
[OP]
Apr 17, 2016
35 posts
3 upvotes

Extreme Window Condensation

Hello,
We live in Barrie and have been in this house for 4 years. The house is 17 years old, standard cookie cutter subdivision style. Never really had an issue with window condensation until recently and it’s driving me nuts.

House heat is kept at 18 overnight and 20 during the day. No humidifier.

Only thing I can thing would be causing it is the fact that we are now finishing the basement. We framed (with wood, and some was slightly damp) and are now taping. I assume the drywall compound is high in moisture.

Think that’s the culprit? I’m running a dehumidifier downstairs now to see if it clears up.

Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8099 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like the seal around the window may have failed which is possible if the windows are also 17 years old. Might be time for new windows.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Apr 17, 2016
35 posts
3 upvotes
All the windows at once though? And the door knobs on exterior doors? Obviously I hope that isn’t the issue but usually well insulated windows are more likely to condense as drafts would keep the water from condesing?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8099 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Shanetodd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:55 am
All the windows at once though? And the door knobs on exterior doors? Obviously I hope that isn’t the issue but usually well insulated windows are more likely to condense as drafts would keep the water from condesing?
Did not realize it was all of them at the same time. Then no it would not be the windows something else is effecting it.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1563 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
What is the humidity inside your home? High humidity can cause condensation on windows.
Oct 10, 2017
22 posts
6 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Shanetodd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:42 am
Hello,
We live in Barrie and have been in this house for 4 years. The house is 17 years old, standard cookie cutter subdivision style. Never really had an issue with window condensation until recently and it’s driving me nuts.

House heat is kept at 18 overnight and 20 during the day. No humidifier.

Only thing I can thing would be causing it is the fact that we are now finishing the basement. We framed (with wood, and some was slightly damp) and are now taping. I assume the drywall compound is high in moisture.

Think that’s the culprit? I’m running a dehumidifier downstairs now to see if it clears up.

Thanks!
Hey we live in Barrie too, same sort of scenario same age home more or less (Pratt home)
Last year we had loads of condensation on the windows. We were at the point that we had to secure towels on the window frame bottoms. We were advised by a local electrician to install ceiling fans throughout the home and we have had dry windows ever since.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3232 posts
390 upvotes
RFDizzy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:11 am
Hey we live in Barrie too, same sort of scenario same age home more or less (Pratt home)
Last year we had loads of condensation on the windows. We were at the point that we had to secure towels on the window frame bottoms. We were advised by a local electrician to install ceiling fans throughout the home and we have had dry windows ever since.
Do you keep the fans on all the time?
Oct 10, 2017
22 posts
6 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
swales wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:20 am
Do you keep the fans on all the time?
Yes all day long in the winter with an upward draft. In the summer we use a downward draft but only if we want the breeze.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4614 posts
2416 upvotes
We just had a huge and sudden drop in temperature which will cause condensation if the humidity in the house is still high. First thing you should do is check humidity level in the home.

Here is a general guide on max humidity relative to temp outside to avoid condensation. But it will also depend on the efficiency of your windows.

Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4283 posts
2896 upvotes
GTA
fdl wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:00 am
We just had a huge and sudden drop in temperature which will cause condensation if the humidity in the house is still high. First thing you should do is check humidity level in the home.

Here is a general guide on max humidity relative to temp outside to avoid condensation. But it will also depend on the efficiency of your windows.
+1
Sudden temperature drop along with likely high humidity leads to condensation.
OP, make sure your HVAC dampers and vents are open, especially near the windows. Turning on your dehumidifier is a good idea. Have you measured your humidity level yet?
You should also turn on your HVAC fan and turn up your tstat temp until you dry up your windows.
Mar 6, 2015
181 posts
77 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I wouldn't be surprised if the new wood and drywall compound are a big part of the problem. That's a lot of moisture to add to the house. If you have a dehumidifier, run it in the basement (bonus, the drywall compound will dry more quickly).
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3394 posts
2597 upvotes
Toronto
Mods should make a window condensation sticky tread. Issue comes up every fall, and must be the most discussed topic in the Home and Garden forum...
Dec 27, 2007
964 posts
302 upvotes
Oshawa
The drywall compound will give off an insane amount of moisture...run a dehumidifier and rent some fans for air movement if possible.
[OP]
Apr 17, 2016
35 posts
3 upvotes
Really appreciate all the help guys and gals. Unreal advice and thank you for talking me off the ledge haha. I had visions of mold and torn out carpet etc.

I think it was a combination of the mud and wood in the basement and the huge temp swing that caused the issue. I’ve started the dehumidifier and got it down to 45 (was at 60-65% RH!), ran two ceiling fans and it has seemed to work! I actually noticed how clear my windows are because I guess this has been a problem for a couple weeks now, just not as bad.

Again. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
Turn your HVAC fan on to constant on to help circulate the air, it'll help.
Also keep an eye out on your humidity levels. Around this temp range anything over 55% RH will start to condense.