• Oct 18th, 2017 10:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14159 posts
4628 upvotes

Eye Creams - What do you use and why?

We're almost out of the brand of eye cream we have been using for years and notice that the line has changed a bit (we were with olay regenerist). Previously we choose it because of name reputation, and when we took weekly pictures noticed an improvement (granted that could have been any number of variables).

I think we're willing to change our product - but I would prefer to do some actual research into what makes the eye creams good rather than just buy based on name / brand.

What do you use? What ingredients are within it that caused you to choose it? And do you have any research that will help me in my decision?
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11078 posts
1530 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I don't use eye cream.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Jun 28, 2011
229 posts
32 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I don't use eye cream either; I get milia very easily and I stick to gel type moisturizers which my skin likes.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4928 posts
773 upvotes
I don't use eye creams, either. My eyes are "flat" LOL so they don't crinkle with crow's feet.

However, :)

The Olay line of products is known for:
- niacinamide
- peptides
- [optionally retinol, if it says it has it]

You can Google the research.

Some Olay eye creams also contains humectants such as glycerin and hyaluronate which help the skin retain moisture and is helpful in preventing dehydration-based wrinkles.

I have a skincare regimen (I have stupidly sensitive, atopic dermatitis skin) that goes as follows:
- gentle cleanser
- alcohol-free toner
- serums
- moisturizer
- after-treatment

THE ORDINARY is an amazing budget line from the Canadian company, DECIEM.

- niacinamide + zinc serum $5.90+tax
http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-niac ... -1pct-30ml
- Matrixyl serum $11.50+tax
http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-matr ... ct-ha-30ml

Their return policy is 365 days with receipt, as long as product is at least still half-full. They have a few physical stores in the Toronto area and I think in Montreal, where they are based out of.

I mix one drop each of these serums 1:1 on the tip of my finger and apply after cleansing, and before face lotion/cream. This combination contains all the actives an Olay eye cream has (niacinamide, peptides, glycerin and hyaluronate), UNLESS it is the retinol-containing line in the red packaging. If you want retinol in your regimen, I would recommend you use a separate product anyway.

My friend uses the "Buffet" serum ($14.80+tax) which is a deluxe peptide serum with other added amino acids, ferment extracts, etc. I tried it before and it burned my skin, so I swapped it out for the simpler Matrixyl. If you don't react to the "Buffet", it has more proven actives.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14159 posts
4628 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:02 pm
I don't use eye creams, either. My eyes are "flat" LOL so they don't crinkle with crow's feet.

However, :)

The Olay line of products is known for:
- niacinamide
- peptides
- [optionally retinol, if it says it has it]

You can Google the research.

Some Olay eye creams also contains humectants such as glycerin and hyaluronate which help the skin retain moisture and is helpful in preventing dehydration-based wrinkles.

I have a skincare regimen (I have stupidly sensitive, atopic dermatitis skin) that goes as follows:
- gentle cleanser
- alcohol-free toner
- serums
- moisturizer
- after-treatment

THE ORDINARY is an amazing budget line from the Canadian company, DECIEM.

- niacinamide + zinc serum $5.90+tax
http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-niac ... -1pct-30ml
- Matrixyl serum $11.50+tax
http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-matr ... ct-ha-30ml

Their return policy is 365 days with receipt, as long as product is at least still half-full. They have a few physical stores in the Toronto area and I think in Montreal, where they are based out of.

I mix one drop each of these serums 1:1 on the tip of my finger and apply after cleansing, and before face lotion/cream. This combination contains all the actives an Olay eye cream has (niacinamide, peptides, glycerin and hyaluronate), UNLESS it is the retinol-containing line in the red packaging. If you want retinol in your regimen, I would recommend you use a separate product anyway.

My friend uses the "Buffet" serum ($14.80+tax) which is a deluxe peptide serum with other added amino acids, ferment extracts, etc. I tried it before and it burned my skin, so I swapped it out for the simpler Matrixyl. If you don't react to the "Buffet", it has more proven actives.
Thanks - I will look up that research!

Those products seem really cheap compared to what we're using. I'm fine with that - I'm more focused on actually finding out what works and why so I can base my choice on that rather than just a brand.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14159 posts
4628 upvotes
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:00 pm
I don't use eye cream either; I get milia very easily and I stick to gel type moisturizers which my skin likes.
Our son has this on his arms and our pediatrician just said to keep moisturizing.

I don't have any appointments with my dermatologist to ask him about it, and I feel bad for booking an appointment for him to just talk about my son (he makes himself available any time because of my skin condition and I don't want to take advantage of his kindness to me as a patient) and our pediatrician doesn't seem to offer up a referral.

What do you find works best for you?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4928 posts
773 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:30 pm
Thanks - I will look up that research!

Those products seem really cheap compared to what we're using. I'm fine with that - I'm more focused on actually finding out what works and why so I can base my choice on that rather than just a brand.
You're welcome! I'm a little obsessed with ingredients because I have such problem skin.

With these Ordinary serums, you get a quantity and spreadability to use them on the entire face prior to moisturizing.
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:34 pm
Our son has this on his arms and our pediatrician just said to keep moisturizing.
Are you sure it's milia on his arms? If it's on the back on the triceps, it may actually be keratosis pilaris. Milia are more common on the face...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14159 posts
4628 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:58 pm
You're welcome! I'm a little obsessed with ingredients because I have such problem skin.

With these Ordinary serums, you get a quantity and spreadability to use them on the entire face prior to moisturizing.
You're exactly who I was looking for - knowing the ingredients that are important allows me to research them further and find products with them. I just don't want to put my faith into things blindly if I don't have to.
Are you sure it's milia on his arms? If it's on the back on the triceps, it may actually be keratosis pilaris. Milia are more common on the face...
I thought that's what our pediatrician said but I'll have to double check with my wife. When I googled the image for milia the pictures that showed up on the arms seemed to match. But I could be completely wrong.
Jun 28, 2011
229 posts
32 upvotes
VANCOUVER
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:34 pm

I don't have any appointments with my dermatologist to ask him about it, and I feel bad for booking an appointment for him to just talk about my son (he makes himself available any time because of my skin condition and I don't want to take advantage of his kindness to me as a patient) and our pediatrician doesn't seem to offer up a referral.

What do you find works best for you?
I use either Clinique Moisture Surge gel moisturizer or Marcelle's Vitamin C gel moisturizer as those work best for me.

Your son's condition - are the bumps red at all? That's usually an indication of keratosis pilaris. (I had that on the back of my arms and the front part of my thighs when I was younger)
Milia is usually on the face and the bumps are flesh coloured. (on me anyways)

What helps is regular exfoliation with a loofah cloth or something similar. Don't scrub but do gentle circular motions as milia and keratosis pilaris are signs of clogged pored/hair follicles.
A moisturizer with lactic acid also helped my keratosis pilaris; Lac Hydrin is available at drugstores without a Rx but it does sting a bit when you apply it.
As for moisturizer, I'd avoid anything too heavy as this will just perpetuate the cycle.
I hope this helps.
Last edited by travelandshoppingwoman77 on Oct 7th, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14159 posts
4628 upvotes
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 5:34 pm
I use either Clinique Moisture Surge gel moisturizer or Marcelle's Vitamin C gel moisturizer as those work best for me.

Your son's condition - are the bumps red at all? That's usually an indication of keratosis pilaris. (I had that on the back of my arms and the front part of my thighs when I was younger)
Milia is usually on the face and the bumps are flesh coloured. (on me anyways)

What helps is regular exfoliation with a loofah cloth or something similar. Don't scrub but do gentle circular motions as milia and keratosis pilaris are signs of clogged pored/hair follicles.
A moisturizer with lactic acid also helped my keratosis pilaris; Lac Hydrin is available at drugstores with a Rx but it does sting a bit when you apply it.
As for moisturizer, I'd avoid anything too heavy as this will just perpetuate the cycle.
I hope this helps.
His arms are more flesh coloured and the legs are a little pink.

Thanks for the advice - we're just trying to change things up and see if a couple weeks helps to improve it or not. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and the pediatrician said not to worry much but personally I know it doesn't need to be like that.
Jun 28, 2011
229 posts
32 upvotes
VANCOUVER
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 9:54 pm
His arms are more flesh coloured and the legs are a little pink.

Thanks for the advice - we're just trying to change things up and see if a couple weeks helps to improve it or not. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and the pediatrician said not to worry much but personally I know it doesn't need to be like that.
No worries. I hope it helps. Sorry, I meant to write that Lac Hydrin is available without a Rx.
I appreciate your concern as a parent and as long as your son isn't bothered by the bumps, that's a good thing.
If he starts itching, etc. then I'd push for a referral to a dermatologist as it could be dermatitis.
Good luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11078 posts
1530 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Have you people ever gone on the ewg.org website to look up products in their Skin Deep section?

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
8 upvotes
Health food stores have glyserine and other products such as sulphur tablets.
You can treat skin through oral methods also, homeopathology.
I made a cream with beeswax olive oil and unpasturized honey for an intense healing regimen with success.