• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2014 6:17 pm
Tags:
None
May 6, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON

Eye exam and Frames in Toronto

I'm looking for places in or near Toronto which both sell frames and offer in store eye exams. I'm looking for a two in one because in the past I've had trouble with stores claiming that the lenses were the numbers prescribed but I still had trouble seeing. I originally used to get my frames from a local store but once it closed down I tried Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters are quite expensive and my mother had some problems with her frames which the staff failed to fix even though we sent the frames to them twice. Looking though ads I found one store called "Kanda Optical" and another called "Vision Express". Though I can't find any reviews on them even though they have more branches. Any reviews/personal experiences on them? Any other recommendations? What stores do you frequent for frames that offer in store eye exams.

Also as a side question; I know that it's possible to get new lenses in the same frame (I'm quite attached to the ones I currently wear), but many companies don't as they lose out on selling their own frames. Are their any stores that do this? Or can you get this done at any store? I ask this mainly because most stores just say it's not possible, even though it's clear that it can be done.

Thanks.
2 replies
Jul 17, 2013
337 posts
79 upvotes
Many optometrists also sell frames and lenses, but they're much more expensive than optical stores. If you're getting it done at an optical store, make sure they have an optometrist license, because opticians aren't licensed to do eye exams in Canada. I had my eye exam at a pmall store when I was a kid, but from what I remember, they didn't have the same equipment..

It can be done at any store, but I guess some have policies against it? :/ You'll probably have more luck at non-chain stores.

Have you considered it might be your optometrist's fault? Maybe you weren't even given the correct prescription in the first place :/ If several stores claimed that the lenses were prescribed correctly, I doubt it's the store's fault.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
If it is not already way too late for you, this place has full eye exams for $49 and they seem to have reasonable prices for frames/glasses. I got an exam there a while back and the Doctor is competent and thorough, even though it is a discount rate.
http://opticaleyeworks.ca/eye-exam-prom ... aQodmkUAHw
There is also the online glasses purchase option too. Buying online from eyebuydirect.com, zennioptical.com or goggles4U.com can be 5-10 times cheaper than retail.
I tried EBD for my purchase and was pleasantly surprised with the experience and ended up getting 2 pair of decent single prescription glasses for under $40 Canadian total. The Rx was bang on and they fit fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)