Shopping Discussion

Eye exam in Walmart Vision Center

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2012 3:21 pm
Jun 6, 2008
283 posts
28 upvotes

Eye exam in Walmart Vision Center

Has anyone had an eye exam done in Walmart Vision center? Can anyone compare it with other optometrists.
On the price scale, I find Walmart Cheaper (70$ in walmart wile 90 elsewhere).
Also, I have heard that Walmart sometimes provides you with sample contact lenses free for trial?
However, i have heard bad things about Walmart Vision Centers in states, especially that the eye exams are not thorough.

Anyone with an experience, please share. I am looking at walmart in Brampton area.
10 replies
Dec 20, 2007
597 posts
46 upvotes
You want to make sure eye exams are done by an optometrist as opposed to an optician like you might get at a glasses store in the mall. (University Degree vs. training course). Any store that sells contact lenses I’ve ever been to has free samples. They are used to see if the contacts do in fact fit your eyes properly. They should be checked after a few days to a week of use to see if they are working properly on your eye. The store should allow you to have as many samples as it takes to get a pair that works (within reason). Personally I would go to a well know stand alone optometrist office for your exam to make sure your eyes are healthy and to get a proper prescription. Something about Wal-Mart and health don’t really go hand in hand. Then I would go to the cheapest place to gets the prescription glasses/contacts filled. I recommend Costco or clearlycontacts.ca. Just my 2 cents.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2008
283 posts
28 upvotes
ride365 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2010 6:12 pm
You want to make sure eye exams are done by an optometrist as opposed to an optician like you might get at a glasses store in the mall. (University Degree vs. training course). Any store that sells contact lenses I’ve ever been to has free samples. They are used to see if the contacts do in fact fit your eyes properly. They should be checked after a few days to a week of use to see if they are working properly on your eye. The store should allow you to have as many samples as it takes to get a pair that works (within reason). Personally I would go to a well know stand alone optometrist office for your exam to make sure your eyes are healthy and to get a proper prescription. Something about Wal-Mart and health don’t really go hand in hand. Then I would go to the cheapest place to gets the prescription glasses/contacts filled. I recommend Costco or clearlycontacts.ca. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks bud.
I will go with your suggestion and will get the eye exam done at a standalone optometrist office.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5229 posts
1942 upvotes
Calgary
I used to go to Northland Walmart (Calgary) to get my eye checked once every two years. The guy was a licensed optometrist with his own practice. He came to Walmart only twice a week, half a day each. The only reason I needed my eye exam was to get prescription for my contact lens. As long as the guy was a real optometrist I was fine with it. Now that I have strabismus I need an optometrist that I can discuss my condition with. But of course, she's a lot more expensive that the guy in Walmart.
Dec 27, 2009
1 posts
kingston
I have had my eyes checked at walmart, i felt comfortable because I don't really have any issues. I also had four of my children done, the optomotrist was great, she did all the checks as our previous optomotrist. But we moved and I chose to go to a different place, I didn't like the feel of the optomotrist at the current walmart, however I did go back there for my perscription. They have great prices. I have had bad optomotrist who didn't work at walmart, I think the good, the bad are everywhere, no matter what place they work at.
Nov 6, 2011
287 posts
84 upvotes
Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread.

My son, 9, goes to a university hospital every 6 months for a genetic disorder. During these visits he sees an Opthamologist as a side effect of his disorder is optical nerve damage/problems. Well he is starting to have problems and needs glasses. He gave us a prescription. We know nothing about this as nobody in the family has glasses.

So with our prescription, can I walk into a Walmart Vision Centre and pick out a frame and they'll do his lenses?

Is Walmart the best place for this? Selection/price?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1215 upvotes
Halifax
amandavp wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 7:22 pm
So with our prescription, can I walk into a Walmart Vision Centre and pick out a frame and they'll do his lenses?

Is Walmart the best place for this? Selection/price?
Yes, you can get it done at Walmart.

Walmarts prices will be lower than most other places, with the exception of online. But seeing as he has never had glasses before, I doubt you want to get them done online.

The selection will likely be less than some of the bigger places. But you might as well head in and see if he (and you :) ) can find something he likes. As well, the time to make them well probably be quite a bit slower than some of the 1-hour places, but I expect waiting a few days won't be too much of a problem.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2046 posts
39 upvotes
Mississauga
I had my exam done at the Meadowvale WM in Mississauga. The optometrist was also a MD. The exam was thorough. I would go back there again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
The best place to get an eye exam is at a nearby university school of optometry or ophthalmology. You probably won't pay any less than at an optometrist's office but you'll get a far more thorough test, supervised by a professor—and you'll help a student.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1171 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
People should really go to an Optometrist if they need an eye exam or other eye related tests done. IMO It's not worth trying to save a bit of money by going to somewhere like Walmart or some retail store... Optometrists have a University education aswell as the equipment, whereas somebody say at Walmart or a store that offers free sight testing may only have some sort of inhouse training or certification course and they would have the most basic of equipment. Don't forget how vital your eyes are.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2046 posts
39 upvotes
Mississauga
sandy_beach wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 3:17 pm
Optometrists have a University education aswell as the equipment, whereas somebody say at Walmart or a store that offers free sight testing may only have some sort of inhouse training or certification course and they would have the most basic of equipment. Don't forget how vital your eyes are.
Walmart has optometrists that check your eyes. The opticians are there to process your eyeglass or contact lens order and they fit the glasses. The eye exams are done by an optometrist. And WM charges you for the optometrist to check your eyes. It's not free as you mentioned.
× < >