None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
2979 posts
228 upvotes
GTA

Eye Exams: Costco v.s. Optometrist Office

I saw a small optometrist office packed with people @Warden Costco. There hours are long and the cost is $80.

I paid $138 in 2012 to the office closest to me 2yrs ago. The optometrist was OK, she used some dye and snapped photo of the retina. She wasn't very patient but seemed competent.

Are eye exams all the same? in terms of cost and quality of care? Is there a reason to stick with a optometrist long term?

Costco's afterhour is great, might be able to book back to back with family members and get some shopping done at the same time.
4 replies
Apr 26, 2010
141 posts
56 upvotes
Canada
I've been going to Costco for the last four years (or so) and I always see the same optometrist there. The eye exam is now $90 and I have absolutely no complaints. It's ~30 minutes long but if they dilate your eyes it'll be a bit longer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5671 posts
264 upvotes
BC
I've always gone to the optometrist, but decided to go with Costco last year when I needed an upgrade. I did not have a good experience at all. I was having problems with what I was seeing and after 2 months someone at Costco finally suggested I get my eyes re tested.. sure enough I needed a completely different prescription. I've had many eye exams in the past years and I've never had a problem until this last time.

I'm not saying that this will happen to everyone, but it will not happen to me again, at Costco anyways.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2718 posts
229 upvotes
i like the costco optometrist near me in Oshawa. With newer equipment the exams don't take long at all. There were some tests that i have never done before and it just seemed faster with the electronic control of the usual "one or two" and etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6190 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
Reviving an old thread here but has anybody used a Costco optometrist lately? Apparently, my "local" Costco on the Queensway is the only Costco in the GTA that does NOT have an optometrist. I was thinking of trying the Vaughan, Downsview or Mississauga (Dundas) locations.