None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA

Eye Exams: Costco v.s. Optometrist Office

I saw a small optometrist office packed with people @Warden Costco. There hours are long and the cost is $80.

I paid $138 in 2012 to the office closest to me 2yrs ago. The optometrist was OK, she used some dye and snapped photo of the retina. She wasn't very patient but seemed competent.

Are eye exams all the same? in terms of cost and quality of care? Is there a reason to stick with a optometrist long term?

Costco's afterhour is great, might be able to book back to back with family members and get some shopping done at the same time.
10 replies
Apr 26, 2010
151 posts
59 upvotes
Canada
I've been going to Costco for the last four years (or so) and I always see the same optometrist there. The eye exam is now $90 and I have absolutely no complaints. It's ~30 minutes long but if they dilate your eyes it'll be a bit longer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5699 posts
275 upvotes
BC
I've always gone to the optometrist, but decided to go with Costco last year when I needed an upgrade. I did not have a good experience at all. I was having problems with what I was seeing and after 2 months someone at Costco finally suggested I get my eyes re tested.. sure enough I needed a completely different prescription. I've had many eye exams in the past years and I've never had a problem until this last time.

I'm not saying that this will happen to everyone, but it will not happen to me again, at Costco anyways.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2778 posts
242 upvotes
i like the costco optometrist near me in Oshawa. With newer equipment the exams don't take long at all. There were some tests that i have never done before and it just seemed faster with the electronic control of the usual "one or two" and etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6320 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
Reviving an old thread here but has anybody used a Costco optometrist lately? Apparently, my "local" Costco on the Queensway is the only Costco in the GTA that does NOT have an optometrist. I was thinking of trying the Vaughan, Downsview or Mississauga (Dundas) locations.
Jul 30, 2012
98 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't tried a Costco optometrist but I usually go to see the optometrist at a Walmart Supercenter, was charged $65.
Oct 6, 2015
807 posts
411 upvotes
Costco "optometrist" = professional Optometrist who happens to have a clinic located within a Costco. The professional standards shouldn't be any different, only the location is perhaps a bit cheesy.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1306 posts
203 upvotes
is there a standard for the tests to be done? i've been to some where they do some eye drops and check my eye pressure, some need a scan, others only gave me my prescription.

$90 isn't that exceptionally cheap, but it's definitely convenient to get your eyes checked while your family member walks around Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6320 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 3:28 pm
is there a standard for the tests to be done? i've been to some where they do some eye drops and check my eye pressure, some need a scan, others only gave me my prescription.

$90 isn't that exceptionally cheap, but it's definitely convenient to get your eyes checked while your family member walks around Costco.
I got a test done recently at a local opticians place on Bloor near Dundas (PM if you want details) where the optometrist comes in a couple of times a week. I asked about their service beforehand and was told a regular exam was $65 and then extra for drop/dilation and pressure. Only "gotcha" was cash or debit for eye exam
Banned
Oct 21, 2017
2 posts
Here is my eye exam review and some info about the eyeglasses. I'll post a full review of the eyeglasses once I receive them.

I called Costco to set up an eye exam. There is one optometrist who has an office within the Costco, but she is considered as independent from Costco. There were no appointments available the same day, so I made the appointment for later in the week. This was in contrast to Lenscrafters where I've always been able to get an eye exam the same day I've called.

I showed up to Costco a few minutes before my appointment and I noticed there is a sign saying they accept walk-ins if the time is available. I don't know if they are able to "squeeze" people in if they show up and want an appointment. My appointment did go fairly fast, so I can see it as possible.

I had checked in advance about my insurance (through EyeMed) and Costco. Costco does NOT accept insurance. What they do is give you a receipt that you can then submit to your own insurance. As Costco is "Out of Network", the coverage is up to $30 for an eye exam, up to $70 for frames, and up to $50 for single vision lenses. While the amount covered in network when I went to Lenscrafters was much more ($10 copay for eye exam, $10 copay for frames up to $175 and $10 copay for standard single vision lenses (not including extra treatments), because Costco's prices were so much lower, I still am able to get good glasses for much less money. More on that later.

I knew the eye exam would cost $49 (it's a little more for a contact lens exam) and it would be an additional $20 if she recommended pupil dilation.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1054 posts
492 upvotes
Beaverton
Just had my eyes checked at the new Costco in Orillia. (Dr Choi)
Filled the prescription immediately following the exam at the same location. Exam $85 total
Glasses $190 total
Had to return for the dilation drops, as on this appointment date I had my elderly neighbor in tow and I didn't want to do the eye drops with him in my care, so I scheduled a follow-up appointment for drops the following week. No issue/No extra charge. ☺️

Happily.....my new glasses were ready for pick-up on my follow-up appointment date. Thumbs Up Sign
Very pleased with the entire experience. I've been to fancy eye doctor offices etc and would choose Costco again without any hesitation.

Exam and glasses charge/costs were both accepted/compensated by my benefits/insurance company.