F1 2018 Season Expectations

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 6:37 pm
Tags:
Sep 8, 2017
881 posts
704 upvotes
GTA
Any RFD-er's going to the Canadian GP? Just bought my tickets today! Never been before. I'm in Grandstand 24.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2820 posts
535 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote:
May 28th, 2018 9:21 pm
Any RFD-er's going to the Canadian GP? Just bought my tickets today! Never been before. I'm in Grandstand 24.
I am! For the first time ever! We got the F1 Experience Trophy package. Grandstand 15. I'm very excited.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6765 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 28th, 2018 7:59 am
I had the opportunity to drive along the course at Monaco.
You cannot appreciate how tight the corners are and how steep the up hill drives are unless you are on it and seeing it. In a normal car it is not so much difficult but tricky and tight but in a race car at those speeds, it is amazing they can do that.
I've been there as well and, as you say, it's amazing to see those guys driving at those speeds around that course.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6765 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
Christian Horner on Max Verstappen:

... believed that his driver should ‘modify his approach’ for future races.

“He needs to go away from this weekend and reflect on what could have been, what should have been, and apply that for the future. He has a very good teacher in the car next door to him. Max has an abundance of talent. He’s had some harsh lessons, obviously, this year and I think a modified approach will benefit him. What’s frustrating is that he’s working harder than ever. He feels fitter than ever and it feels like he’s trying a bit too hard. When you get into a spiral you try harder. You have to hit the reset button.”
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4790 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto Island look pretty nice this time of the year for some burning rubber tires.
Last edited by whampoa on Jun 5th, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4609 posts
666 upvotes
F1 has gone the way of Boxing, nobody cares anymore.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16366 posts
1407 upvotes
Space for rent
Boxing is facing some fierce competition from MMA. It used to be glorified by movies like rocky and fighters like Tyson and great legends before him like Ali and foreman, et Al. Now we are in a different era of brutalism. May be we are not far off from the type of Gladiator style games where they fight to the death?

It would be amazing but totally impractical if they made a race where cars would go to the Toronto Island and back to the harbour front ala old hockenheim and Nurburgring when cars would disappear for a few minutes and no one knew if they crashed or not, only to re-emerge. Obviously we have aerial cameras now so it's all a bit less dramatic but would still be exciting.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16366 posts
1407 upvotes
Space for rent
Lol, I guess some due allowance for ignorance like this is needed. Someone in Italy probably types in canadian city and went for the first hit.

Only Canadians would take offense to that I would think. Imagine though someone here typed in Italy and got a picture of Venice but we're actually looking for milan. Hell, I couldn't tell you where the leaning tower of pizza is located. Or where the famous colliseums resides. Granted I'm not responsible for an international video promo but it's understandable and not the end of the world.

Btw, is there any freebie cheap events this weekend? I know trying to secure tickets at this stage is probably not in my favour but I'd like to catch some action on the cheap. The Toronto Indy has access for their free particle I think. You can walk right up to the barriers and watch them shake down the cars before the weekend. Still love the roaring big engines.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16366 posts
1407 upvotes
Space for rent
Jimbobs wrote:
May 29th, 2018 11:44 am
I've been there as well and, as you say, it's amazing to see those guys driving at those speeds around that course.
For sure. The dynamics of seeing just the tip of the nose and the sky as you try to hit those apexes is crazy challenging. At least it is in simulations.

Old onboard footage from senna and the like does not compare to the modern day onboard laps. The one from gasly around Monaco was insane compared to the t-cams which doesn't convey the treu sense of speed and danger.
Jan 9, 2013
690 posts
403 upvotes
St Catharines
Grid penalties for Ricciardo is a huge downer. I knew it was a long shot but with the Canadian GP often having some unpredictability I was hoping he could challenge for the win. Now, I can't see anyone other than Lewis taking the win. Quali should still be good though! Hopefully the Renault engine upgrade lives up to the hype!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16366 posts
1407 upvotes
Space for rent
Why is he taking a penalty? Wasn't RBR due for a change?
Jan 9, 2013
690 posts
403 upvotes
St Catharines
MGU-K failure in Monaco means they'll have to replace that. He's also already used his max allowable batteries and electronics, so if they decide to change those too, he'll be further down the grid.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44364183

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)