• Aug 4th, 2019 4:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…

FaceBook Marketplace, the good the bad, general idiots V.2

So now that marketplace has started to gain traction and the plethora of redundant groups has become laughable, the exposure to various people has just exploded.

The idiosyncrasies of Kijiii mostly are gone and a new breed of people are giving this experience a different twist.

Now that you know someone's name it makes people a tad more accountable and respectful and tactful, but not fully.

Two aspects of this system I wanted to mention:

The activity icon. You can see that they've read your reply, without responding for a day...or you can see that though they've messaged you for the item and you've replied...that it's just sitting there unread...perpetually. Where did they go? Just vanished? No longer interested? Say so. So funny. Or you have an exchange, they say they want to come....then poof.

The best idiosyncrasy I find is marketplace "rating". You don't need an actual transaction to leave a rating. I got a neg because the idiot offered a fourth of my list price and I told them if they couldn't afford it, to go to goodwill to find it cheaper there, Lol., so they were butthurt that I was "rude". Sorry I didn't coddle & reward you for being a lowballer.
LOL. Yeah, that's not going to be abused.

The rating is more of a gauge of your diplomacy than effective selling measure. 10years on RFD, 180 deals 100%+. 2 months on Facebook and already 1 negative. Lol.
Last edited by bubble.tea on Jun 11th, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PayTM - $80
PC OPT: $4274 Ebates: $63.50
100%+ BST & Heatware Est. 2005
Kijiji & FB Marketplace trash are what put a smile on my face each day
47 replies
Oct 6, 2018
150 posts
104 upvotes
The rating system of marketplace is garbage. You can get banned with just a few negative ones and FB support is useless. If you're very careful and "try" to deal with sensible people, FB marketplace is good.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
^ to me in principle, I always liked the idea because it brought with it accountability. Of course not everyone uses a legit fb profile & photo, so it could all be up in the air. That said, it's a minor risk. LOL..how many people did you piss off to get banned? lol.

I messaged them several weeks ago mentioning how odd it was to allow a rating based on a one word question and a one word reply & how it opened the door to abuse. Not a squeak.

I also like seeing when someone has a 'mutual friend'. I'm more inclined to accept a lower price on a higher ticket item in those cases. If only it had a tag that said 'RFD member' LOL. 50% off!! lol ;)
PayTM - $80
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
^ mmmmmmmmmm, I am craving something for lunch...I wonder what it is... ;)

Unless you're engaging in cooky trades, do you really care? I personally am not, so I don't. It is kind of like when you're a kid and your mom says 'behave'. I feel that facebook is great for that. Keeps *mmmmmmmmmmost* people behaved & they don't succumb to the usual crap that anonymity lends itself to in ruthless bargaining & wheeling & dealing. Except for my one guy with the quarter price offer LOL, vendetta negative rating. That was refreshing, ha.
PayTM - $80
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5709 posts
3758 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 10:09 am
^ mmmmmmmmmm, I am craving something for lunch...I wonder what it is... ;)

Unless you're engaging in cooky trades, do you really care? I personally am not, so I don't. It is kind of like when you're a kid and your mom says 'behave'. I feel that facebook is great for that. Keeps *mmmmmmmmmmost* people behaved & they don't succumb to the usual crap that anonymity lends itself to in ruthless bargaining & wheeling & dealing. Except for my one guy with the quarter price offer LOL, vendetta negative rating. That was refreshing, ha.
I do care, I want to keep strangers at a vast distance. I don't want to give them the possibility to be disgruntled at my sale or actions, accuse me of having sold them a broken item, expect reimbursement because they are unsatisfied or broke it, or whatever, and start smearing me online or harrassing me and my family. You never know who you could be dealing with.

I want to meet them quickly, get the money quickly, and after leave them with no means of identifying me or reaching out to me against my will.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1199 posts
950 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:40 pm
I do care, I want to keep strangers at a vast distance. I don't want to give them the possibility to be disgruntled at my sale or actions, accuse me of having sold them a broken item, expect reimbursement because they are unsatisfied or broke it, or whatever, and start smearing me online or harrassing me and my family. You never know who you could be dealing with.

I want to meet them quickly, get the money quickly, and after leave them with no means of identifying me or reaching out to me against my will.
YEP, couldn't have said it better, this is why I would personally never use FB marketplace. Lots of psycho people out there, and once they get your real info it's over. You could be stalked, harassed, your family could be harassed, so many malice things could happen.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6016 posts
2069 upvotes
Moncton, NB
We use the marketplace but only to sell 1 or 2 item at a time. I hate when people post 1-2$ items non stop and flood your search result. We always had good luck selling stuff (so far) with the occasional no reply after a deal was said via messenger.

But a lot of time you can tell when someone really wants it VS someone who is just testing the water. The last thing I put up for sale was our stove. I had like 30 people interested in 2 days. Ended up that the first person that actually message me that got it. Nice guy but not so smart when he picked it up. Came over with a truck but no strap. I was feeling bad for the young guy so I gave him some straps to tie it in the back of his truck lol.

Other than the same type of ridiculous offers that I got when using kijiji (Selling something for 50$. Being offered 25$ and I have to deliver it to their door...hmmm nope!) I do prefer the marketplace since I can actually see who's buying my stuff :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
^^ & ^^^ wow. That certainly is a dark & worst-case-scenario approach to it, but I will concede, it certainly is a reality.

I guess it is all in the approach. I certainly never dream of selling crap, or broken stuff. Heck it's like having a yardsale, or having a Kijiji trader come pick something up from my home. I am an honest person & I have the same approach in my sales there as I do here on RFD. I stand 100% behind my trade & if you're not happy, talk to me about it and I'll make it right. I can appreciate if you have a grossly different approach. If anything I have always tended to try to develop fruitful interactions in case I need a repeat trade or whatnot. Networking is key. Why burn bridges unnecessarily. If someone feels like a freak, I don't do the deal.

I think, unfortunately in society - we have allowed ourselves to expect that there are bad people out there. Instead, I propose changing the approach and expecting goodness from people. How about being overly polite & nice? Going the extra mile? Maybe we'll have a better society at the end of the day? Too altruistic? Call me an optimist.
PayTM - $80
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6016 posts
2069 upvotes
Moncton, NB
bubble.tea wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 1:19 pm
^^ & ^^^ wow. That certainly is a dark & worst-case-scenario approach to it, but I will concede, it certainly is a reality.

I guess it is all in the approach. I certainly never dream of selling crap, or broken stuff. Heck it's like having a yardsale, or having a Kijiji trader come pick something up from my home. I am an honest person & I have the same approach in my sales there as I do here on RFD. I stand 100% behind my trade & if you're not happy, talk to me about it and I'll make it right. I can appreciate if you have a grossly different approach. If anything I have always tended to try to develop fruitful interactions in case I need a repeat trade or whatnot. Networking is key. Why burn bridges unnecessarily. If someone feels like a freak, I don't do the deal.

I think, unfortunately in society - we have allowed ourselves to expect that there are bad people out there. Instead, I propose changing the approach and expecting goodness from people. How about being overly polite & nice? Going the extra mile? Maybe we'll have a better society at the end of the day? Too altruistic? Call me an optimist.
I enjoy selling stuff on Marketplace. Also buying stuff. But I pick and choose when I look at the person who's selling. I was told not to judge people but if I'm looking to buy tires for example and when you click on the person profile and all their post are about smoking pot and doing burnouts I usually close the ad and move on.....
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
nounou23 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 2:00 pm
......when you click on the person profile and all their post are about smoking pot and doing burnouts I usually close the ad and move on.....
LOL!!! Stalker alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLLLLLL & Look at that! we have two of our very own general idiots who've downvoted the thread. Did we expect any less? frankly...lol.
PayTM - $80
Jan 3, 2015
116 posts
69 upvotes
Delta, BC
Get a lot more hits on FB Marketplace than Craigslist.

Pros - messaging more reliable than craigslist relay email, pending pickup and sold buttons, views counter
Cons - endless Is It Available? messages. Need to delete conversations or else your messages will be flooded. Users dont read the post (need to click more) and not super obvious if there are multiple pics, random auto flagging of ads (false positives), still get flakes and no shows, auto generated map can be wrong and no way to correct

Today someone asks me if they can get a discount since I live at x and they have to travel from y
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28433 posts
1207 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
In the last week I've discovered that facebook iOS actually provides a notification when someone leaves you a rating. It doesn't say which they left, just that 'they did'. on Android it didn't. The latest eval finally just showed up as a notification...eventhough it was a fake one. No deal, I just left them a pos after we exchanged q/a's so I figured I'd leave a pos. Curiously they returned it. Didn't expect.

Android must've got the push update finally.

I have interacted with a few different 'types' now, boy what a different world LOL. From the naïve, to the professional, to the shrewd hustler, which within a two week stretch caught him changing his account profile between two different names & then a generic account and listing the same items over LOL?? Talk about having something to hide. I am curious how do you make a fake account and post on marketplace? I have never done this, so is it just as easy as signing up for a new email address? I assumed there was some level of scrutiny afforded to facebook accounts? Confirm tell/name etc? Nothing? I had a few donkeys message me from a "since 2019" 'no photo' ' generic name ' accounts. Yeah OK bud. Move along.

Happy Hunting. Gotta love the 1000km away listings that show up in your 100km radius search. Come on Zuckerberg!!!??
PayTM - $80
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4791 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
The need to Click More part is just awful. You can barely see any text unless you click to read more and most people of course don't. They just send stupid or useless questions without having read the ad where all of the information is clearly listed.

As for the reviews section who thought it was a good idea to do it this way?

I had someone contact me about an item I had listed in Mississauga. They asked if I could deliver to Hamilton and give them a discount. I didn't bother discussing price, I just replied that I could not deliver to Hamilton. He replied saying he was giving me a bad review because of it. I didn't bother after that. Typical nonsense and stupidity.
Banned
May 9, 2019
277 posts
275 upvotes
kindred_99 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 10:29 am
The need to Click More part is just awful. You can barely see any text unless you click to read more and most people of course don't. They just send stupid or useless questions without having read the ad where all of the information is clearly listed.

As for the reviews section who thought it was a good idea to do it this way?

I had someone contact me about an item I had listed in Mississauga. They asked if I could deliver to Hamilton and give them a discount. I didn't bother discussing price, I just replied that I could not deliver to Hamilton. He replied saying he was giving me a bad review because of it. I didn't bother after that. Typical nonsense and stupidity.
Pro tip:
I heard if you don't respond they can't rate you.

So don't respond to stupid requests