• Nov 16th, 2017 9:17 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes

Facebook preys on human vulnerability

Ex-Facebook president Sean Parker: site made to exploit human 'vulnerability'

Site’s founding president, who became a billionaire thanks to the company, says: ‘God only knows what it’s doing to our children’s brains’

arker described how in the early days of Facebook people would tell him they weren’t on social media because they valued their real-life interactions.

“And I would say, ‘OK. You know, you will be,’” he said.

“I don’t know if I really understood the consequences of what I was saying,” he added, pointing to “unintended consequences” that arise when a network grows to have more than 2 billion users.

“It literally changes your relationship with society, with each other. It probably interferes with productivity in weird ways. God only knows what it’s doing to our children’s brains,” he said.

He explained that when Facebook was being developed the objective was: “How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?” It was this mindset that led to the creation of features such as the “like” button that would give users “a little dopamine hit” to encourage them to upload more content.

“It’s a social-validation feedback loop … exactly the kind of thing that a hacker like myself would come up with, because you’re exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... psychology

_______

Definitely agree technology has changed society, kids and relationships. And the "like" button is kind of addictive - makes it feel like we're doing something :)
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
47 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
Applying victim status to people making conscious choices. That's a good one.

Facebook is as much to blame for social problems as Coca Cola is to blame for diabetes, and heart/liver disease.

In the end, they're conduits by users who choose not to exercise self-restraint. Nobody else's fault but the individual who does it.

In all things, moderation.

Facebook does not create a vulnerability. They are a tool used by people who increasingly don't want to be around competing views/opinions. Social media does make it easier to sit in your own corner of self-validating thoughts, but that requires a person actively seeking this, to achieve.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3222 posts
571 upvotes
London
It does exploit those with addictive and or emotionally needy personalities who have managed to avoid dabling in drugs or alcohol lol (or coca cola) but just cant help themselves with this 'safe' activity

How is being able to communicate with family and friends a BAD thing?? ( I usually would be spending that time on a negative addiction)
OMG I can see my nieces and nephews that live out of town and maintain relationships with extended family!!! How is that a BAD thing (I usually would be spending that time on a negative addiction)

You don't get diabetes from the above, there is no health warning for it, so I get what you are saying Andy but it's a little different.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3222 posts
571 upvotes
London
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:34 pm
Facebook does not create a vulnerability.
He never said it does - they exploit the preexisting vulerability
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
snow00774 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:05 am
It does exploit those with addictive and or emotionally needy personalities who have managed to avoid dabling in drugs or alcohol lol (or coca cola) but just cant help themselves with this 'safe' activity

How is being able to communicate with family and friends a BAD thing?? ( I usually would be spending that time on a negative addiction)
OMG I can see my nieces and nephews that live out of town and maintain relationships with extended family!!! How is that a BAD thing (I usually would be spending that time on a negative addiction)

You don't get diabetes from the above, there is no health warning for it, so I get what you are saying Andy but it's a little different.
There's no health warning? People are constantly advised about spending excess time on social media. People are repeatedly informed that if it's negatively impacting any facet of their life it's already gone too far and should be scaled back.

It's too easy to blame others for our problems.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2305 posts
145 upvotes
The old Facebook was the definition of cool. Today’s Facebook has too much crap going on that I can’t even bother to use much.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4859 posts
730 upvotes
Seriously, stay off of it, if you notice it's doing bad things to your mental/social health.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on by not having an account, is not being able to relate to, or understand cultural references to it and its features.

At least on forums, we learn things.

I've had a lot of strangers I've just met ask for my Facebook account. I've had cousins I don't have conversations with much, ask for it. I'm glad I could honestly tell them I don't have one.

So I'm a hermit who's become more of a hermit by consciously not taking part in it...but a lot of the dynamics surrounding it do not seem healthy. I used to be such a geek/nerd into my high school years...and now as an adult, I'm a relative Luddite.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
peanutz wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:38 am
Seriously, stay off of it, if you notice it's doing bad things to your mental/social health.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on by not having an account, is not being able to relate to, or understand cultural references to it and its features.

At least on forums, we learn things.

I've had a lot of strangers I've just met ask for my Facebook account. I've had cousins I don't have conversations with much, ask for it. I'm glad I could honestly tell them I don't have one.

So I'm a hermit who's become more of a hermit by consciously not taking part in it...but a lot of the dynamics surrounding it do not seem healthy. I used to be such a geek/nerd into my high school years...and now as an adult, I'm a relative Luddite.
Even though I did something similar I'm actually the opposite. I deleted my social media accounts like 3 years ago as I got tired of family getting out of me all the personal updates from my life without a single shred of effort outside of clicking "Like" or typing "lol" to keep in touch. While I peruse many internet forums and will post on random devices at random times of the day (am probably on the internet average 4-8 hours a day sporadically, even on work days) I'm a lot more active socially. I find people are generally more reasonable in person and a lot less prone to extreme fits I see often occurring online -- the internet is just fantastic for being sucked into drama so I take frequent breaks to do other things. It's also a lot easier to have discussions with people in person I find. I actually have to keep time often because I can get carried away with conversations going on and on. I think its unfortunate you're a hermit. I think most of the posts I come across from you are quite reasonable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7911 posts
727 upvotes
Only applies to weak individuals that desires attention and must be on and plugged in at all time. It applies mostly to millennium. Nothing to be concern about if You are born before the 90s.
Aug 17, 2009
619 posts
299 upvotes
The problem with FB is that it tends to bring out narcissism, egoism, jealousy, insecurity and frankly, stupidity, in people.

I dislike seeing pictures (this is especially so for women) of the person all dolled up and looking pretty, with her friends commenting on pretty she looks. Why? Or pictures with people besides their new expensive vehicles; or the people with the desire to share with the world all the exotic places they've been.

I think it's insecurity that makes them do it; the constant need to feel validation from their peers. I suspect it has something to do with socio-economic class they're in. You can tell the working/middle-class from the higher echelons, by the amount (or lack of) details shared.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15810 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:26 am
I suspect it has something to do with socio-economic class they're in. You can tell the working/middle-class from the higher echelons, by the amount (or lack of) details shared.
This is an interesting point... do you think (or have you noticed) a difference in "facebook sharing" between working-class & upper-middle-class?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6766 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
I registered but never went on it.
It's for gullible attention whores and the like.
You end up making a fool of yourself but you just don't care once you're supposedly part of the in crowd.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15662 posts
4417 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I haven't been on my facebook account in like 3 years at least.

Few reasons:

1. I couldn't care less what random person x is having for lunch or random person y is watching at the movies
2. too much drama and effort trying to delete old photos or make your page 'new gf friendly'
3. i couldn't care less what random person z is shopping for at the local strip mall
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 10th, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: foul language
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:23 pm
I haven't been on my facebook account in like 3 years at least.

Few reasons:

1. I couldn't care less what random person x is having for lunch or random person y is watching at the movies
2. too much drama and effort trying to delete old photos or make your page 'new gf friendly'
3. i couldn't care less what random person z is shopping for at the local strip mall
My wife had to delete all the old trolling pics I uploaded to her FB over the years, when her ex-boss added her one day.. Face With Tears Of Joy

Good times.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 10th, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: match quoted post
Aug 17, 2009
619 posts
299 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:08 am
This is an interesting point... do you think (or have you noticed) a difference in "facebook sharing" between working-class & upper-middle-class?
The well-off kids usually put up pics of parties, hanging out, etc., so that others know who went where with who, etc. At least that is my experience, anecdotally.

Typically, the "hey we have money/are pretty too" bunch put pics of the exotic locales or take pics of themselves next to someone else's high-end cars. Like, why? That's not to say there are no exceptions, like new-money people. They don't quite fit with the old-money, but want attention; 99% of the time, they get it from the wrong people.