Facebook preys on human vulnerability

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 9:17 am
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1172 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
On a personal note, one of my sisters who is dead since 2012 still has her Facebook up. People still regularly post her happy birthday wishes every June and randomly post how much they miss her. She only had things set for friends to view her info. So that's one reason I haven't pressured my wife to delete her FB. That and my in-laws love my sense of humor.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 10th, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted post deleted
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15622 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:34 pm
On a personal note, one of my sisters who is dead since 2012 still has her Facebook up. People still regularly post her happy birthday wishes every June and randomly post how much they miss her. She only had things set for friends to view her info. So that's one reason I haven't pressured my wife to delete her FB. That and my in-laws love my sense of humor.
sorry for your loss
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1172 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:44 pm
sorry for your loss
Its cool, I just have to limit how often I visit her page. It's too easy to get caught up in looking at her old posts/pics, and get lost in wondering if I could have done anything to change what happened.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:26 pm
The well-off kids usually put up pics of parties, hanging out, etc., so that others know who went where with who, etc. At least that is my experience, anecdotally.

Typically, the "hey we have money/are pretty too" bunch put pics of the exotic locales or take pics of themselves next to someone else's high-end cars. Like, why? That's not to say there are no exceptions, like new-money people. They don't quite fit with the old-money, but want attention; 99% of the time, they get it from the wrong people.
That's interesting but everyone is talking like only kids/young people are on FB. As far as I know people in their 40s 50s and 60s are also on FB so what gives?

I don't use it but I know many people who do. I also read that most people get their news off FB now as opposed to real news sources - I guess this is where fake news really originated from and how propaganda wars infiltrated FB
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4869 posts
900 upvotes
Toronto
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:55 pm
That's interesting but everyone is talking like only kids/young people are on FB. As far as I know people in their 40s 50s and 60s are also on FB so what gives?

I don't use it but I know many people who do. I also read that most people get their news off FB now as opposed to real news sources - I guess this is where fake news really originated from and how propaganda wars infiltrated FB
Youngsters aren't on FB anymore. You find them on snapchat or IG
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
Oh I'm 10 steps behind on all this social media stuff. So people above are saying > 40s are posting pictures of their parties? I highly doubt that.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1172 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:08 pm
Oh I'm 10 steps behind on all this social media stuff. So people above are saying > 40s are posting pictures of their parties? I highly doubt that.
For some reason I initially read that as panties.

Best relief of the day.
Aug 17, 2009
612 posts
297 upvotes
springdays wrote:

I don't know about ppl in their 40s, 50s and 60s. Not my age group. Also, FB still popular with highschooler/university crowd.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2504 posts
574 upvotes
Mississauga
Neither of my kids (12 and 14) has any interest in Facebook. They're all over Snapchat and Instagram however.

My wife uses her Facebook to keep up with relatives. But even then the drama sometimes makes me shake my head.

I have never been - and will never be - on Facebook.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4729 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
its a waste of time and kiss your privacy goodbye,

that's why we aren't on it. Life is fine without that garbage
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:51 pm
its a waste of time and kiss your privacy goodbye,

that's why we aren't on it. Life is fine without that garbage
True - I read that Facebook logs and tracks your movements even after you have logged out.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4843 posts
718 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:51 am
While I peruse many internet forums and will post on random devices at random times of the day (am probably on the internet average 4-8 hours a day sporadically, even on work days) I'm a lot more active socially. I find people are generally more reasonable in person and a lot less prone to extreme fits I see often occurring online -- the internet is just fantastic for being sucked into drama so I take frequent breaks to do other things. It's also a lot easier to have discussions with people in person I find. I actually have to keep time often because I can get carried away with conversations going on and on. I think its unfortunate you're a hermit. I think most of the posts I come across from you are quite reasonable.
lol, thanks. I'm not sure that I am "reasonable" and I actually find the "reasonableness" of many people in person to be exhausting, too (the hermit reference is a reflection of my introversion, nothing unfortunate about it.) Somehow I am less suspicious of the drama and fits online than the smarmy, overly manicured personalities I run into "in the real world."

There is a lot of harshness here about people who might use Facebook, and I'm not bashing everyone who uses it, just the people I've met who seem to use it as a substitute for real conversation, or as you said, a way to seemingly keep "updates" on others without being directly involved with them (or even being invited to be involved.) I guess I am more interested in stories rather than snapshot personal shrines to oneself.

I'm a Millennial, and I've seen peers whose language/conversation skills would probably not pass a Turing test, online or in meatspace (converted to Siri voice.)
springdays wrote:
I was so out of the loop when news of Fake News broke out, that I thought I had been reading fake Google news which would have alarmed the f$%^ out of me (maybe some day in the future I guess.) Thank goodness it was mostly Facebook, but it grossed me out. Additionally, I read an extremely detailed piece on the AI of fake profiles Facebook utilizes to study its userbase. It's gotten to the point where a real person can join a Facebook group full of only bots having conversations, and the bots will say things that will reaffirm what the real person seemingly wants to read, LOL. Now he/she is having a conversation with him/herself in a group of bots that agrees with him/her (and each other). Serves these sheep right.

:facepalm: And I'm on Facebook without ever making a profile, because people have posted and tagged photos with me in them. More reason to hate it and its ecosystem. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
As usual, good thought out comments from peanutz :)

p - lol Yes the bots is an interesting feature. How many million interactions did they think the Russians had with Americans to influence their voting? Over 120 million.

Anyway it is disconcerting that reality can now be swept away with one word (or two ;)) - fake news, but such is life now. Propaganda wars and all.

Take care and stay cool
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2007
2775 posts
149 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:08 pm
I've seen more activity from the 30's/40's crowd than the younger generation. They still use it, but from my experience, it's people in their 30's and 40's who live on the service.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
WontonTiger wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:55 pm
I've seen more activity from the 30's/40's crowd than the younger generation. They still use it, but from my experience, it's people in their 30's and 40's who live on the service.
Yes... but then I'm on RFD as well so not sure if I am too different from all these FB fiends of any age :P :D