Automotive

Faded Plate Letters...what blue paint to use to touch it up?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 1:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3431 posts
317 upvotes
West Side GTA

Faded Plate Letters...what blue paint to use to touch it up?

I have a set of old plates (15 yrs at least) where the paint on the letters have faded. It is not peeling in anyway, and everything else is still visible (didn't use a cover). I'd like to simply just apply some blue paint on the letter portions to restore it back to original condition. I'm not really interested in shelling out $40 for new plates (MTO replacement costs) when I can simply buy some paint and restore it for probably 1/2 that cost.

I'm not "altering" it in anyway as the numbers/letters are still the same, i'm simply restoring the letters/numbers back to original condition.

My question is which blue paint is the best for this application?

Thanks!
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7676 posts
1876 upvotes
Toronto
Get the WRB pearl from Subaru, the paint code is 02C (for the subaru WRB) and find an alternative.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9417 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
There's several threads on this. It's still considering altering it according to police. If you did it to perfection, I guess they'll never know. I too want to do this for my existing plate as I like my number, easy to remember.
Feb 17, 2015
543 posts
202 upvotes
Canada
Please spend $40 for new plates...original plates color/quality i think has specific materials for police cars to identify especially at night...a ticket is way more expensive than $40...
Damn it! 😎
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5229 posts
1435 upvotes
The plate belongs to the MTO, so call them up and see what they say. Or, trust anonymous people on the interwebs to convince you otherwise. Your call ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1515 posts
403 upvotes
Ottawa
-=phelan=- wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:41 am
I'm not "altering" it in anyway as the numbers/letters are still the same, i'm simply restoring the letters/numbers back to original condition.
Yes you are. The original paint is reflective. Painting it is altering it despite being the same colour
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25647 posts
5826 upvotes
GTHA
CuriousJack wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:50 am
Please spend $40 for new plates...original plates color/quality i think has specific materials for police cars to identify especially at night...a ticket is way more expensive than $40...
$57 to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged plate

Source: https://www.ontario.ca/page/replace-los ... ence-plate
WHO wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:08 pm
The plate belongs to the MTO, so call them up and see what they say. Or, trust anonymous people on the interwebs to convince you otherwise. Your call ;)
Need to visit a ServiceOntario location, sometimes they will replace the plate for free

Read https://forums.redflagdeals.com/b-serie ... g-1654485/
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40151 posts
9428 upvotes
Is it illegal to have the paint rub off?

I've seen a plate where 1/5 of it was peeled and getting blown by the wind. Is this protection against red light cameras or what?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25647 posts
5826 upvotes
GTHA
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:55 pm
Is it illegal to have the paint rub off?

I've seen a plate where 1/5 of it was peeled and getting blown by the wind.

Could get a ticket after a warning...

Section 13 of the Highway Traffic Act requires you to keep your plate clear of obstruction, meaning everything from snow and dirt to rust and fading. That plate must be clearly legible. Constable Clint Stibbe with Toronto Traffic Services says police will be looking at intent – are you purposely obstructing your plate? – but it’s ultimately about education. “An officer will usually issue a warning the first time, but once that’s in the system, it’s up to the owner to get that plate fixed. The next time, a ticket will be issued.” It’s a $110 ticket.

from http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ontari ... e-problems
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40151 posts
9428 upvotes
At the Go Station, I can even see cars with no front license plates, lol.

Maybe it will ruin their German marquee's bumper?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7676 posts
1876 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:06 pm
At the Go Station, I can even see cars with no front license plates, lol.

Maybe it will ruin their German marquee's bumper?
Need to tow hook it like Lancer Evo.

Piss off people like board123 lol
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40151 posts
9428 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:10 pm

Need to tow hook it like Lancer Evo.

Piss off people like board123 lol
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:10 pm
Front plates detract from vehicle styling
http://www.tada.ca/Front-plates-detract ... le-styling
So off center is legal? That would be bad ass since the plates would be out of focus for red light traffic cameras discussed on this thread: news-red-light-camera-ticket-dispute-2118396/

This is even cooler:
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14992 posts
3970 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I wish you guys could see the license plate paint job on this buicks personalized plate (in my condo parking lot)

basically they took an old af plate, painted it white with the shittiest paint they could find, then contracted out a man with parkinsons to paint on the blue lettering. And only the raised plate lettering. 'Ontario' and "Yours to discover' are totally whited out.

I have no idea how they haven't already received thousands of dollars of tickets driving around with that plate.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Feb 9, 2013
851 posts
448 upvotes
Ottawa
Sand the numbers slightly, and use blue nail polish to touch up.