Automotive

Faded Plate Letters...what blue paint to use to touch it up?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 1:41 am
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1552 posts
309 upvotes
TORONTO
But if you go to the MTO to get your plates replaced, they'll give you a C Plate (If you don't have a Personalized License Plate)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5374 posts
955 upvotes
???
Your not suppose to touch the plate at all. That means even restoring to original condition.

It's dumb but it's to prevent hackjobs and people messing with the reflective paint on the white and blue, which toll cameras and red light cameras are calibrated to capture and filter out.

You may get a ticket for alterations if a cop inspects the plate. So it's a do it at your own risk thing.
Dec 16, 2008
456 posts
122 upvotes
Richmond Hill
zakregent wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:40 pm
But if you go to the MTO to get your plates replaced, they'll give you a C Plate (If you don't have a Personalized License Plate)
I think even if you have a personalized plate, still your replacement will be a C plate, unless you pay the fee for personalised plate again.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3562 posts
782 upvotes
London ON
Like everyone said, it's technically illegal, hell even dealer frames that block the top/bottom ontario lettering can get you in trouble. But I have to question how many people actually get tickets for this, I see plenty of colored or badly yellowed plate covers so clearly it's not a priority for enforcement. That's a obvious obstruction that anyone can see, but if you do a minor touch up to a part of a letter your odds of getting caught are slim. Still, going through the trouble of sourcing paint and trying to make it look decent may not be worth your time, I'd just get a new plate. You have to bend over for other regulatory BS out of your control anyway, they'll find a way to get that $40 from you sooner or later no matter what.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14224 posts
3416 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
kooroshkabir wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:31 am
I think even if you have a personalized plate, still your replacement will be a C plate, unless you pay the fee for personalised plate again.
What?

Normal plate replacement is $57 (unless it’s covered under warranty)

Personalized plate replacement is more, around $100 or so I think.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Dec 16, 2008
456 posts
122 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Oh that is good. I thought you need to pay full price for personalized plate again.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24416 posts
5245 upvotes
GTHA
nasa25 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:18 pm
Personalized plate replacement is more, around $100 or so I think.
kooroshkabir wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:22 pm
Oh that is good. I thought you need to pay full price for personalized plate again.
Replace a personalized plate: $99.10
Replace a graphic licence plate: $53.90

Source: https://www.ontario.ca/page/replace-los ... ence-plate
Jul 19, 2014
985 posts
182 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Maybe try some rubbing compound and wax to restore the shine instead of painting .
-=phelan=- wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:41 am
I have a set of old plates (15 yrs at least) where the paint on the letters have faded. It is not peeling in anyway, and everything else is still visible (didn't use a cover). I'd like to simply just apply some blue paint on the letter portions to restore it back to original condition. I'm not really interested in shelling out $40 for new plates (MTO replacement costs) when I can simply buy some paint and restore it for probably 1/2 that cost.

I'm not "altering" it in anyway as the numbers/letters are still the same, i'm simply restoring the letters/numbers back to original condition.

My question is which blue paint is the best for this application?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7978 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
-=phelan=- wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:41 am
I have a set of old plates (15 yrs at least) where the paint on the letters have faded. It is not peeling in anyway, and everything else is still visible (didn't use a cover). I'd like to simply just apply some blue paint on the letter portions to restore it back to original condition. I'm not really interested in shelling out $40 for new plates (MTO replacement costs) when I can simply buy some paint and restore it for probably 1/2 that cost.

I'm not "altering" it in anyway as the numbers/letters are still the same, i'm simply restoring the letters/numbers back to original condition.

My question is which blue paint is the best for this application?

Thanks!
How much do you figure the type of paint used on the plate costs? Including the film type later that goes over it?

Just spend the $40 or whatever it costs to get new ones.