• Feb 23rd, 2008 8:22 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2006
401 posts
15 upvotes
IoannI wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2008 5:57 pm

The car has not had a tune up since she bought it, changed oil frequently.

I'm going to do a tune up. I'm hoping I might need to replace the catalytic converter.

Also the check engine light always, always goes on. You guys think it could be something related?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Geez.... no tune up and check engine light and you wonder why it didnt pass?.... the answer is simple isn't it?
Dec 22, 2006
401 posts
15 upvotes
My friend, do a full tune up, clear the codes and put some premium fuel in it...guaranteed to pass ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
IoannI wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2008 5:57 pm
Also the check engine light always, always goes on. You guys think it could be something related?
First, the light told her to check the engine. Then, the emissions test told her to check the engine.

I'd say it's high time somebody actually checked the engine.

Maybe an O2 sensor? Assuming the idiot light has almost burnt out by now, the cat could be toast.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11231 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Few things I always do before an emissions test:

- Change the oil BEFORE doing an emission test.
- Make sure the air filter is clean
- Ensure the car is in proper working condition (properly tuned up, no codes)
- Make sure you do a proper warm up of the vehicle (drive it on the highway for about 15 to 20 min so that everything is at operating temp)
- Go to a test only facility (less chance of them trying to get you to fix stuff that is just fine)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2460 posts
110 upvotes
I can`t believe they did the test with the "check engine light "on.I thought there was regulations against that .
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes
one question, does removing cat = failing etest for sure? i am thinking of getting race header btw
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
pfbmgd wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2008 6:27 pm
I can`t believe they did the test with the "check engine light "on.I thought there was regulations against that .
It was Canadian Tire. Need I explain further...
Feb 21, 2006
715 posts
wow a lot of ppl still go to can tire for their automotive services. WOW...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
Sohjonn wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2008 10:43 pm
wow a lot of ppl still go to can tire for their automotive services. WOW...
I go to the one at Sheppard/Leslie. The managers are decent people and friendly. Call you before they change anything in your car.

I went there to do safety check and emissions test. No reason not too.

I rather go to CT than to a random private garage. I feel those smaller garages have more the reason to scam people. Once they get you in, they won't let you leave with your car.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
1799 posts
21 upvotes
No 1st year 17yr old kid mechanic at CT will ever lay a finger on my car, that's for sure.

What's the KM on the vehicle? Pull the codes and see what it's showing. Do a full tune-up, the car's O2 sensors are probably shot as well.
× < >