None
Dec 1, 2006
604 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Failure to Report Accident Ticket?

Hi,

I got a problem with my insurance.
My car slight into a light pole near my house and smashed the front end. There is no damage to the light pole only my car.
We decided to push the car back home and not call the police on scene and called them the next morning after we found out that you were supposed to report it even though noone else got hurt and noone else was involved.

The office gave me a ticket saying" failure to report accident".
Now that im going thru a claim, the insurance company wants a copy of this ticket.

Will they deny insurance to cover the car? What can I do?
15 replies
Sep 8, 2010
809 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
I'd go to court and fight it, but I dont know what you can do or say. I would have just not reported it and fixed it my self. I think if its under $1000 damage you dont have to report it.

Basically, if you were drunk, you could have crashed your car, got home, sobered up and then called the cops in the morning to report the accident.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1477 posts
75 upvotes
Markham
Muney wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 2:33 pm
I'd go to court and fight it, but I dont know what you can do or say. I would have just not reported it and fixed it my self. I think if its under $1000 damage you dont have to report it.

Basically, if you were drunk, you could have crashed your car, got home, sobered up and then called the cops in the morning to report the accident.

Umm..some how I don't think telling your insurance not only did you not report the accident, that it was because you were drunk is going to make things any better..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
6898 posts
387 upvotes
Burlington
Fail to report an accident is a major conviction and if you are not with a high risk insurer now, you will most likely be cancelled at the end of your term
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Sep 8, 2010
809 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
jasonkwan86 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 2:58 pm
Umm..some how I don't think telling your insurance not only did you not report the accident, that it was because you were drunk is going to make things any better..

No, i wasnt saying he was drunk. I was stating why this law is there, giving an example of what a drunk person could do to avoid a DUI. I guess I worded it wrong.
Aug 25, 2007
440 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
If the car had to be pushed back home I would think the damage is greater than $1000, heck a bumper alone is close to $500 if not more depending on the make of vehicle these days.

So the accident should have been reported, especially since it could not be driven to the vehicle inspection center.

Do not think you will find yourslef a way out of this one apart from perhaps the officer not showing up to trial or some technicality. I would likely get some assiatnce in fighting, however no hiding from your insurance company especially seeing you need a big claim to make.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
The entire situation needs to be looked at.

I agree with posters saying that if the car had to pushed home, the damage was substantial. Given the damage was substancial, speed, dangerous/carelessness or alcohol/subsance abuse had to be invovled. They would not issue the ticket if there had been freezing rain and icy conditions on the road. (Age and history of driver will also be looked at.)

This is the thinking the police use when issuing the ticket. And this is the thinking if an insurance company is analyzing whether to cancel the insurance policy.

The smartest thing to do in such a case is to just fix the car without the insurance company knowing. Or write off the car, if older. In the long run, this is going to easily cost more than $10K in higher insurance premiums - if the OP wants to keep driving.

Regarding OP's question ... the insurance company will cover the damage to the car. It will be 100% fault of the driver.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
604 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
okay guys.

There was no drinking involed.
Just a simple accident against a light pole.
It was actually my brother driving, smashed the car pretty bad..air bags and etc...its a write off from what I see so thats why I didnt want to fix it myself.
My Brother is listed under policy as the secondary driver and my moms the primary on this.
I am the registered owner of the car though.

Its a 09 Civic with 79,000km on it and insurance wants a copy and at this point I have to give them a copy either way, just concerned they will not cover it.
I know my brother can go to court and deal with his points and the ticket, thats not really what im concerned with. Its more about the car.

I'm financing and still owe 3k to honda finance, and i'm hoping if its actually a write off they will pay me $13k at least, so I get to keep 10K for myself at least and put that towards another car.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12723 posts
3629 upvotes
bloodylankan wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 2:22 pm
The office gave me a ticket saying" failure to report accident".
Now that im going thru a claim, the insurance company wants a copy of this ticket.

Will they deny insurance to cover the car? What can I do?

I believe the police are issuing you the ticket because it is likely that you damaged public property. Regardless of how much damage occurred (maybe it just needs a slight repaint), it's up to you to report it.

By law, motor vehicle collisions meeting any one of the criteria outlined below must be reported to the police service governing the jurisdiction in which the motor vehicle collision occurs:

* Death or injury
* Suspected criminal activity, including fail to remain, impaired driving and/or stolen vehicles
* Damage to public property or motor vehicles
* Hazardous materials and/or conditions
* Community safety zones
* Unlicenced/uninsured/suspended drivers
* Disturbances between involved persons
* A vehicle damaged to the point it is not drivable
* Major traffic congestion as a result of the collision
* Person who demands police attendance at the scene
* Reason to believe a driving offence has been committed against federal, provincial or municipal legislation where charges may be appropriate
http://www.hrps.on.ca/PRC/Pages/ReportACollision.aspx

One simple reason the insurance company wants the tickets is evidence that a collision occurred and you didn't just hit someone and drive away. By filing the proper accident report you are accepting responsibility for repairing the damaged property (because you're clearly at fault) and agreeing to a statement that entails how the damage occurred. I know my insurance company requires police reports for instances such as hit-and-run, etc.

Remember that you do not want your insurance company to drop you as your rates will dramatically go up. Hopefully COSMIC chimes in now that you've posted more details, as I would wonder if it's possible for your mother to remove your brother completely from her policy (and sign whatever waiver is necessary) indicating he will not, ever, be driving her vehicles.

In preparation for your settlement (you indicate it'll be a writeoff) you may want to start looking around to see what cars similar to yours are listed for so you have an idea of what a realistic settlement is. Insurance covers stupidity, and provided your stupidity isn't illegal I believe your car damages will be covered (for instance, I know there are instances where your damage isn't covered if driving drunk).
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
604 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 7:15 pm
I believe the police are issuing you the ticket because it is likely that you damaged public property. Regardless of how much damage occurred (maybe it just needs a slight repaint), it's up to you to report it.

One simple reason the insurance company wants the tickets is evidence that a collision occurred and you didn't just hit someone and drive away. By filing the proper accident report you are accepting responsibility for repairing the damaged property (because you're clearly at fault) and agreeing to a statement that entails how the damage occurred. I know my insurance company requires police reports for instances such as hit-and-run, etc.

Remember that you do not want your insurance company to drop you as your rates will dramatically go up. Hopefully COSMIC chimes in now that you've posted more details, as I would wonder if it's possible for your mother to remove your brother completely from her policy (and sign whatever waiver is necessary) indicating he will not, ever, be driving her vehicles.

In preparation for your settlement (you indicate it'll be a writeoff) you may want to start looking around to see what cars similar to yours are listed for so you have an idea of what a realistic settlement is. Insurance covers stupidity, and provided your stupidity isn't illegal I believe your car damages will be covered (for instance, I know there are instances where your damage isn't covered if driving drunk).
So your think my insurance (belair direct) is only asking for the ticket as proof this whole thing happened and to cover the whatever damage the accident cause to city property. Not to anylsis this and say "we cant cover you"
I know they will not cover DUI, careless driving and etc.
We did mention that the car slipt and hit the post buh the office still have the ticket for not reporting on scene.

I am the main insurance holder. I have two cars. One car im the only driver and the other car my mom and brother. I don't think the rate will go up until its time for renewal again, but before that I will have him change his address and say he doesnt even live with me anymore and say he wont be driving these cars. That should be my rate a little bit lower.

I did look for similar cars on autotrader and it looks like its ranging from 15-10k for my model and trim package. So im assuming if they do pay I should get $13k somewhere inbetween. I'll be faxing the ticket tomorrow mornining and then go from there I guess.

Just hope they cover the car!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3043 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
bloodylankan wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 7:54 pm
I don't think the rate will go up until its time for renewal again, but before that I will have him change his address and say he doesnt even live with me anymore and say he wont be driving these cars. That should be my rate a little bit lower.

The only way this will work is if you actually have your brother sign an exclusion form. But reading your response, it looks like you're going to be in the same situation as you are in now if all you're going to do is "say he won't be driving these cars".
May 27, 2007
15654 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
Even if the accident is less than $1000, you must report it to the police immediately if theres public property involved (ie: signs/poles/guard rails etc).
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Aug 25, 2007
440 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
So car is a write off and you did not call the police why? No reasonably explanation will suffice in this one, insurance will pay off but I suspect you will be dealt with fairly in dropping you as a customer and relgating you to the HIGH RISK group. You get the $10K back...you'll pay more than the $10K in premiums over the next 5 years. Just deserts given the facts.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
604 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Say they do list my brother as a high risk driver and etc.

Will it affect my own insurance? even if I get a form signed saying he wont be driving cars?
Aug 25, 2007
440 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
The claim is against your insurance, it is you who may end up going to the high insurance pond. Hope for the best and it is your only claim, otherwise things are going to get dicey insurance wise I suspect.

Good luck however, maybe it is a single claim and you will sneak under the radar on this one.
× < >