Computers & Electronics

Fairchild TV. How To Get Aside from Rogers Cable?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 10:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11644 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Fairchild TV. How To Get Aside from Rogers Cable?

Does anyone know how I can get Fairchild TV aside from Rogers Cable? It sucks paying $20/month....
133 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8294 posts
1064 upvotes
Toronto
+1 to this, been looking for alternative to get rid of rogers cable for a while... I just mainly need this channel for mom and dad.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3014 posts
314 upvotes
Richmond Hill
teach them how to torrent and stop watching outdated shows.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11644 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
She keeps Fairchild for the shows that cannot be torrented... And the evening news.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2776 posts
277 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I'm not sure if they broadcast over the waves, but have you considered buying an antenna?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11644 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sc888888 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 10:17 pm
There is no option at all. There are ways to get Cantonese channel using IPTV Check out this thread

tvpad-watch-hong-kong-taiwan-mainland-c ... s-1135293/

There are catches. It could shutdown anytime. They are live broadcast and no time shift option and stream could stutter.
Ya I read about that. Too bad it doesn't have the Fairchild programs...

Seriously, combining everything we're paying for Rogers, we're paying $50/month for Fairchild...
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3014 posts
314 upvotes
Richmond Hill
geokilla wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 7:06 pm
She keeps Fairchild for the shows that cannot be torrented... And the evening news.
News? OMNI 2...Mando and Canto, whatever floats your boat. It's still FTA even when you decide to get rid of cable...bought an antenna from CC for $20, airs crystal clear Chinese news for my parents.

Tell me, what shows are there on Fairchild now? They play shows that are more than 50 years old during the weekend (no one watches it unless they're like 90 or something)...during the weekdays around 1pm or so, they still replay that 1000+ episode TVB drama that's almost 20 years old (that no one watches). The prime time drama shows are all at least 1-2 years old (for the computer illiterate). Even their entertainment shows and "see-lai talk shows" are all old to a point that a Singtao/Mingpao newspaper is more up-to-date than this channel.

Keeping Fairchild for shows that cannot be torrented? That's because they're too old :lol:
My dad is glued to the computer for half the day because there's so much to watch.
At least watching the latest stuff opens up a better conversation with your friends and relatives in HK/China. Like who the heck wants to talk about (for example) the Miss Hong Kong pageant show that aired on Fairchild Sunday evening when it friggin happened like almost a week ago? :lol:

TVPad? Why should I pay over $200 for a device just to live stream when its free...? Besides, torrents are still more reliable than live stream.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9333 posts
458 upvotes
Markham
geokilla wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 12:19 am
Ya I read about that. Too bad it doesn't have the Fairchild programs...

Seriously, combining everything we're paying for Rogers, we're paying $50/month for Fairchild...
Minus whale watch the other channels you have on cable as well.
:lol:
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39981 posts
1798 upvotes
Richmond Hill
geokilla wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 7:06 pm
Taught my dad how to find the TVB news and now he downloads them onto our server. Cable cancelled years ago ever since I built us an unRAID NAS box and OTA antenna.
***3M Furnace Filters only $5 each!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14368 posts
1992 upvotes
Toronto
1337rice wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 12:23 am
News? OMNI 2...Mando and Canto, whatever floats your boat. It's still FTA even when you decide to get rid of cable...bought an antenna from CC for $20, airs crystal clear Chinese news for my parents.

Tell me, what shows are there on Fairchild now? They play shows that are more than 50 years old during the weekend (no one watches it unless they're like 90 or something)...during the weekdays around 1pm or so, they still replay that 1000+ episode TVB drama that's almost 20 years old (that no one watches). The prime time drama shows are all at least 1-2 years old (for the computer illiterate). Even their entertainment shows and "see-lai talk shows" are all old to a point that a Singtao/Mingpao newspaper is more up-to-date than this channel.

Keeping Fairchild for shows that cannot be torrented? That's because they're too old :lol:
My dad is glued to the computer for half the day because there's so much to watch.
At least watching the latest stuff opens up a better conversation with your friends and relatives in HK/China. Like who the heck wants to talk about (for example) the Miss Hong Kong pageant show that aired on Fairchild Sunday evening when it friggin happened like almost a week ago? :lol:

TVPad? Why should I pay over $200 for a device just to live stream when its free...? Besides, torrents are still more reliable than live stream.
How do you stream? I wanna setup a HTPC that does just that for my parents.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11644 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
1337rice wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 12:23 am

No OMNI 2 for her. Fairchild only. Plus I don't get FTA. Too many trees and townhouses in the way. I tried with a Philips indoor antenna. No outdoor antenna can be installed. Nor is there space to put one inside the house because of the way my windows and doors face, and everything in between (again, trees and townhoues).

As for the other Fairchild shows, I'm talking about those special ones like Wednesday Magazine, etc. The Fairchild produced ones that show at 10pm sometimes, the occasional weekend specials. Not TVB. For TVB dramas, I got that covered. Other TVB shows, I don't got that covered cus I illiterate and too lazy to search my way through HDZone every day. Now if only I wasn't missing one episode form a handful of old TVB dramas.... Yes Fairchild is ahead of me in TVB series :o
Jon Lai wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 1:28 am
Taught my dad how to find the TVB news and now he downloads them onto our server. Cable cancelled years ago ever since I built us an unRAID NAS box and OTA antenna.
TVB news = mainly HK news. Not exactly focusing on Toronto and Canada....