Computers & Electronics

Fairchild TV. How To Get Aside from Rogers Cable?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6547 posts
263 upvotes
Markham
Kiteak wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2012 5:03 pm
is the TVPad your alternative to cable TV?
Who are you asking?
This space for rent
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5450 posts
231 upvotes
Mississauga
I have searched for years to find an alternative that'll be cheaper than Rogers. Like the OP, my dad is like his mom, wanting only Fairchild and nothing else can replace that. We've taught him to find TVB eps online, but still no go. My slight hope at the moment is IPTV from Acanac, but I would rather have IPTV from Teksavvy if they ever come to market with it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6547 posts
263 upvotes
Markham
M-e-X-x wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 1:55 pm
I have searched for years to find an alternative that'll be cheaper than Rogers. Like the OP, my dad is like his mom, wanting only Fairchild and nothing else can replace that. We've taught him to find TVB eps online, but still no go. My slight hope at the moment is IPTV from Acanac, but I would rather have IPTV from Teksavvy if they ever come to market with it.
Except for the local Canadian content on Fairchild, I don't understand why anyone would want Fairchild over TVB straight from HK. Its the Mecca of Cantonese programming. Before the TVPad, so many people on the internet were trying to find ways to watch TVB.
This space for rent
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11070 posts
2014 upvotes
Buy your dad a tvpad and just let him use it, before you know it, you dad won't even watch fairchild

Your dad probably don't want to go online and watch things. He rather use a remote and a tv screen.

My parents mentioned that they wont be getting canadian news when i got the tvpad and cancelled fairchild. now the don't even care
M-e-X-x wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 1:55 pm
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
245 upvotes
I don't think you should subscribe to TVPad or Jadoo or MagicBox or any of those other IPTV type services that are different from the Bell/Rogers type because all they do from what I understand is take internet streams and often sopcast or flash type streams you can find yourself and send them to through to you. They use your bandwidth plus charge you a subscription fee plus involve the cost of a receiver.

It might be wiser to pick up android on a stick or a blu-ray player with a built-in flash web browser (eg Samsung BD E5900 or E6000 or E6500) which has wi-fi that can stream. Then you can just find the stream and watch it from there plus you've got a solid blu-ray player or Android TV or whatever. You have to experiment with them to see what works without lag.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16515 posts
2195 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 3:37 pm
+1 to this, been looking for alternative to get rid of rogers cable for a while... I just mainly need this channel for mom and dad.
I think Bell Fibe has FairChild for a cheaper rate ... I think it's 10.00 a month, much more reasonable?

http://fibetv.bell.ca/en/programming/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8911 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 6:47 pm
I think Bell Fibe has FairChild for a cheaper rate ... I think it's 10.00 a month, much more reasonable?

http://fibetv.bell.ca/en/programming/
IPTV...biggest problem is that CRTC requires you to get IPTV from the same company as your internet subscription, which means I need Fibe Internet to get FibeTV. My family are heavy internet users, bell's crappy limit won't work for us. Besides, I think FibeTV users your bandwidth too, which will further reduce the remaining cap even more, I need 250+gb each month.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11070 posts
2014 upvotes
you obviously never used one
Nettles wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 6:36 pm
I don't think you should subscribe to TVPad or Jadoo or MagicBox or any of those other IPTV type services that are different from the Bell/Rogers type because all they do from what I understand is take internet streams and often sopcast or flash type streams you can find yourself and send them to through to you. They use your bandwidth plus charge you a subscription fee plus involve the cost of a receiver.

It might be wiser to pick up android on a stick or a blu-ray player with a built-in flash web browser (eg Samsung BD E5900 or E6000 or E6500) which has wi-fi that can stream. Then you can just find the stream and watch it from there plus you've got a solid blu-ray player or Android TV or whatever. You have to experiment with them to see what works without lag.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8911 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
Checked out the TVPad today, it seemed really slow :/ and the quality wasn't that great.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5450 posts
231 upvotes
Mississauga
sexyj wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 3:45 pm
Buy your dad a tvpad and just let him use it, before you know it, you dad won't even watch fairchild

Your dad probably don't want to go online and watch things. He rather use a remote and a tv screen.

My parents mentioned that they wont be getting canadian news when i got the tvpad and cancelled fairchild. now the don't even care
He watches more stuff online than TV, which is sad. Like I said, my dad is like the OP's mom. Has to watch Fairchild for news and their Canadian content, etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11070 posts
2014 upvotes
if your dad is willing to pay for it, why not.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 7:52 pm
He watches more stuff online than TV, which is sad. Like I said, my dad is like the OP's mom. Has to watch Fairchild for news and their Canadian content, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6547 posts
263 upvotes
Markham
sexyj wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 7:16 pm
you obviously never used one
To explain....

- Why bother with hunting for all kinds of stream links that require different programs to run when you have it all there in front of you?
- Why watch stuff on on a PC with mouse/keyboard instead of using a remote on your TV?
- TVB is a private stream. AFAIK, All the free internet streams of TVB are gone.
- Have to hunt and download all the TV episodes or movies when its there for you in the VOD app.
- Its like IceFilms with Asian content as well as live streaming Asian TV.

That being said, I don't use it. Since I don't watch Chinese shows, but the Mrs loves it. I don't like the picture quality and prefer to DL big MKVs for the American stuff I watch but she doesn't care about the picture quality. Basically, if you are okay with the picture quality of IceFilms (I don't recally anyone with a jailbroken ATV complaining), you will be okay with the TVPAD.
This space for rent
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13134 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mr Nobody wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 2:15 pm
Except for the local Canadian content on Fairchild, I don't understand why anyone would want Fairchild over TVB straight from HK. Its the Mecca of Cantonese programming. Before the TVPad, so many people on the internet were trying to find ways to watch TVB.
Local content on Fairchild...
chinesedevil wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 7:11 pm
IPTV...biggest problem is that CRTC requires you to get IPTV from the same company as your internet subscription, which means I need Fibe Internet to get FibeTV. My family are heavy internet users, bell's crappy limit won't work for us. Besides, I think FibeTV users your bandwidth too, which will further reduce the remaining cap even more, I need 250+gb each month.
IPTV does not count towards your Internet bandwidth. Therefore, leave it on 24/7 on a HD channel just to screw Bell over!
Mr Nobody wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 11:32 am
To explain....

- Why bother with hunting for all kinds of stream links that require different programs to run when you have it all there in front of you?
- Why watch stuff on on a PC with mouse/keyboard instead of using a remote on your TV?
- TVB is a private stream. AFAIK, All the free internet streams of TVB are gone.
- Have to hunt and download all the TV episodes or movies when its there for you in the VOD app.
- Its like IceFilms with Asian content as well as live streaming Asian TV.

That being said, I don't use it. Since I don't watch Chinese shows, but the Mrs loves it. I don't like the picture quality and prefer to DL big MKVs for the American stuff I watch but she doesn't care about the picture quality. Basically, if you are okay with the picture quality of IceFilms (I don't recally anyone with a jailbroken ATV complaining), you will be okay with the TVPAD.
No hunting required... My site I visit for TVB dramas has all the content that TVB hosts. Maybe a 1 min hunt then that's it. Then I just plug it into my PC which is connected to the TV, with a wireless mouse and keyboard :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6547 posts
263 upvotes
Markham
My reply wasn't in reference to your case. It was to somebody else. You've already explained your situation and it was a fair explanation.

Guess you have the time to download the shows for your mom and start them up on the PC for her? And she only watches Fairchild and doesn't watch DL'ed shows when your not around?

I don't have the time to do that for the Mrs. I did that before and it was frustrating when links go dead or an episode was missing. Now, its all there on the TVPad. No need for me to do anything.

TSI's 300GB cable technically has no bandwidth, but either way I don't think I hit anything more than 100GB a month anyways. ;)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13134 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mr Nobody wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 2:49 pm
My reply wasn't in reference to your case. It was to somebody else. You've already explained your situation and it was a fair explanation.

Guess you have the time to download the shows for your mom and start them up on the PC for her? And she only watches Fairchild and doesn't watch DL'ed shows when your not around?

I don't have the time to do that for the Mrs. I did that before and it was frustrating when links go dead or an episode was missing. Now, its all there on the TVPad. No need for me to do anything.

TSI's 300GB cable technically has no bandwidth, but either way I don't think I hit anything more than 100GB a month anyways. ;)
More like she is lazy and doesn't want to "waste her time" watching multiple episodes at once because she can't control herself so it's more "fun" to "chase the drama" daily. In regards to TVB dramas anyways. Talk about lacking self control when she screams at me all the time for procrastianting.