• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 12:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes

Fake checks - Bank froze my account

I recently tried to access my bank account through the internet login just to discover I couldn't login anymore.

I called the customer services and they told me my account is ''under investigation'' due to fake check being deposit in it... I didn't deposit those checks, in fact the check are from an address outside my province, and I really need access to my money in this account. The customer service person told me it could take weeks before the problem is solved! I couldn't believe it..

Is that standard procedure? Why is that so long? Is the anything I can do? I also have a paycheck being deposit in this account in 3 days, should I open another account somewhere else?

If you have ever faced a similar situation, I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks
Last edited by max9505672 on Jan 22nd, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Jul 28, 2012
967 posts
367 upvotes
Montreal
max9505672 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 5:51 pm
I called the customer services and they told me my account is ''under investigation'' due to fake check being deposit in it... I didn't deposit those checks, in fact the check are from an address outside my province
Wait a minute... are you under investigation for cheques written from your account OR cheques deposited into your account?
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
airodyssey wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:11 pm
Wait a minute... are you under investigation for cheques written from your account OR cheques deposited into your account?
The cheques were deposited in my account but are not from my account. They have an address on them which is from another province, that's the only thing they could show/tell me...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4890 posts
4041 upvotes
max9505672 wrote:
I recently tried to access my bank account through the internet login just to discover I couldn't login anymore.

I called the customer services and they told me my account is ''under investigation'' due to fake check being deposit in it... I didn't deposit those checks, in fact the check are from an address outside my province, and I really need access to my money in this account. The customer service person told me it could take weeks before the problem is solved! I couldn't believe it..

Is that standard procedure? Why is that so long? Is the anything I can do? I also have a paycheck being deposit in this account in 3 days, should I open another account somewhere else?

If you have ever faced a similar situation, I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks
Why were fake cheques deposited into your account, and who made the deposit? Did you know about the deposits beforehand?

If you really need money from your account (aside from the fraudulent deposits), you'll probably have to speak to a manager or higher to have the holds temporarily removed from your account. You'll have to explain the details of the situation to the manager's satisfaction, and you'll probably only be allowed to withdraw a specific amount like $X for rent, or $200 for groceries, as an example.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4890 posts
4041 upvotes
max9505672 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:16 pm
The cheques were deposited in my account but are not from my account. They have an address on them which is from another province, that's the only thing they could show/tell me...
Address on the cheque doesn't mean much, as it would either be the address of the home branch of the account holder, or the account holder's address.

It's normal to investigate suspected fraud. Your account is probably at high risk for account takeover if you aren't even aware of the transactions taking place.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:18 pm
Why were fake cheques deposited into your account, and who made the deposit? Did you know about the deposits beforehand?
I have absolutely no clue why were those checks deposited... I have no clue who deposited them, I still have my bank card, I have no clue how could someone access my bank account. And if someone could access it, why deposit checks and not just steal money... I didn't know beforehand either
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4890 posts
4041 upvotes
max9505672 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:20 pm
I have absolutely no clue why were those checks deposited... I have no clue who deposited them, I still have my bank card, I have no clue how could someone access my bank account. And if someone could access it, why deposit checks and not just steal money... I didn't know beforehand either
That's why your account is locked down until they figure this out. Someone has your account info... They can't do much with just your account number alone... Maybe they also have a clone of your debit card? Or online access to your account?

Testing the waters with a cheque deposit is pretty common. Next step is to wait until it clears, log in and eTransfer to a dummy account.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:23 pm
That's why your account is locked down until they figure this out. Someone has your account info... They can't do much with just your account number alone... Maybe they also have a clone of your debit card? Or online access to your account?

Testing the waters with a cheque deposit is pretty common. Next step is to wait until it clears, log in and eTransfer to a dummy account.
I tried to explain to customer service that this looks like a scam and I need money, but there's nothing they could do until the ''investigation'' was done... I can understand that they want to make sure I am not the one who made the fraud, but how can this take many weeks..? It's taking me as an hostage
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4890 posts
4041 upvotes
max9505672 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:27 pm
I tried to explain to customer service that this looks like a scam and I need money, but there's nothing they could do until the ''investigation'' was done... I can understand that they want to make sure I am not the one who made the fraud, but how can this take many weeks..? It's taking me as an hostage
Can you visit a branch in-person? No one is going to unblock an account under active fraud investigation for you over the phone. There's no way to guarantee that it's you over the phone, and there's no way for them to re-block the account immediately following your withdrawal.
May 16, 2017
744 posts
745 upvotes
Will they tell you that you even have a balance on the account of what you'd expect (less the fake deposits)?

Typically, anyone can deposit in-person into an account - so that may be what was done. Question is did they already make or attempt to make a withdrawal?
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:31 pm
Can you visit a branch in-person? No one is going to unblock an account under active fraud investigation for you over the phone. There's no way to guarantee that it's you over the phone, and there's no way for them to re-block the account immediately following your withdrawal.
Will do it tomorrow and update here!
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
robsaw wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:34 pm
Will they tell you that you even have a balance on the account of what you'd expect (less the fake deposits)?

Typically, anyone can deposit in-person into an account - so that may be what was done. Question is did they already make or attempt to make a withdrawal?
No they couldn’t tell me that..
Feb 13, 2017
288 posts
253 upvotes
toronto, ontario
max9505672 wrote:
I also have a paycheck being deposit in this account in 3 days, should I open another account somewhere else?
If cash flow will be a problem, ask your workplace to issue you a physical cheque which you can cash elsewhere.
max9505672 wrote:
I called the customer services and they told me my account is ''under investigation'' due to fake check being deposit in it... I didn't deposit those checks, in fact the check are from an address outside my province...
Strange. Have you been told it was a fake cheque as opposed to a bounced NSF cheque? Banks usually do not freeze accounts for the latter.

You are also the OP in the "Lent money to someone - Help minimize the consequences" where you loaned funds to someone who defaulted with repayment. Any chance these two incidents are related?
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 9:28 pm
If cash flow will be a problem, ask your workplace to issue you a physical cheque which you can cash elsewhere.
I will definitely go open an account elsewhere if they can't fix this tomorrow.
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 9:28 pm
Strange. Have you been told it was a fake cheque as opposed to a bounced NSF cheque? Banks usually do not freeze accounts for the latter.

You are also the OP in the "Lent money to someone - Help minimize the consequences" where you loaned funds to someone who defaulted with repayment. Any chance these two incidents are related?
I've been told fake cheque...

I can't really see how this could be related to the person that owes me money... I never shared bank account information with that person... And I don't think she has interest in doing me wrong like that..
Nov 1, 2015
44 posts
52 upvotes
London, ON
max9505672 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 9:48 pm
I will definitely go open an account elsewhere if they can't fix this tomorrow.

I've been told fake cheque...

I can't really see how this could be related to the person that owes me money... I never shared bank account information with that person... And I don't think she has interest in doing me wrong like that..
At the risk of wildly missing the mark...did she happen to pay you (when she was still paying) via cheque? Sorry about your run of bad luck.