• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 12:09 am
Tags:
Jun 13, 2018
556 posts
390 upvotes
max9505672 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 6:20 pm
I have absolutely no clue why were those checks deposited... I have no clue who deposited them, I still have my bank card, I have no clue how could someone access my bank account. And if someone could access it, why deposit checks and not just steal money... I didn't know beforehand either
From your 1st post, you were locked out. My question is when did you see your account balance was far higher than you had in deposits? Did you wait for them to freeze your account? Did you notify the bank there was a deposit you didn't make? Lastly if this deposit is not yours, is over the amount of money you knew was yours, why are they freezing more than the value of the questionable deposit?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10707 posts
7132 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Am I missing something? Which bank locked down the account for investigation?

OP I really recommend banking with a subby such as Simplii or Motive. My relationship with Simplii has been no nonsense (as in they never gave me trouble for anything). Can't guarantee your issue wouldn't happen with Tang, they're more uptight. I lack experience with Motive though I suspect they'd never give you trouble.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
Curiousah wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 10:41 pm
At the risk of wildly missing the mark...did she happen to pay you (when she was still paying) via cheque? Sorry about your run of bad luck.
Yes she did. But that was many weeks ago. How could this be linked?
Jan 15, 2005
167 posts
12 upvotes
London, Ontario
If you wrote your account number on the back of her cheque which you deposited, she could see your account number on the back of her paid cheque image.
Nov 1, 2015
29 posts
37 upvotes
London, ON
hughjarce wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 11:59 am
If you wrote your account number on the back of her cheque which you deposited, she could see your account number on the back of her paid cheque image.
This, if it's a larger game to test before withdrawals.

Or a person may have provided cheques that were not hers (i.e. written from another person's account, who subsequently reported the fraud).

Or if they were from her own account, a person could put a stop payment on them and report them as fraudulent to her own institution, to claw back the funds.

But likely this is simply another unlucky occurrence. Hopefully the bank provided more assistance when you went in.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8586 posts
1621 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Seems weird they would lock you out completely. I get they would freeze the deposits, but why freeze legitimate money? Did you try to withdraw it? Definitely need to go in and talk to them in person.
Jul 25, 2015
376 posts
151 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
It makes sense to lock the account. Why? As another member explained, depositing a cheque is the last step for hackers to take over the account. If that cheque cleared they can see some extra info they might have needed and they can start draining the account. In his case, I hope not, they might have already taken money out and the bank is trying to figure out how much and where did the funds go. Till they investigate the account will be frozen.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3437 posts
1174 upvotes
Quebec
They must have cloned his card and trying to remove all the money from it, so bank prevent it by locking everything. I had my cheques booklet stole earlier this year, had to go in td branch to change my banking information.

What a pita process